Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever experience severe abdominal cramping ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever experience severe abdominal cramping ?

Hi everyone
    Just searching to see if anyone with an MS diagnosis has ever experienced severe cramping, center of abdomen, right at and Below belly button ? I may be just a freak of nature and may be the only one who has this, but I had to ask. I've have this pain off and on since June 2012. Had a colonoscopy and it turned out fine. Had an MRA and MRI last Friday, of my entire abdomen and all organs and blood flow are normal. My gastro guy has been saying all along, that the pain I'm feeling is related to my MS but all of my other docs do not agree. Now what do I do?? Dang, nothing is easy is it?? Ilsa

Originally posted by Ihb7337 View Post
    Hi everyone
    Just searching to see if anyone with an MS diagnosis has ever experienced severe cramping, center of abdomen, right at and Below belly button ? I may be just a freak of nature and may be the only one who has this, but I had to ask. I've have this pain off and on since June 2012. Had a colonoscopy and it turned out fine. Had an MRA and MRI last Friday, of my entire abdomen and all organs and blood flow are normal. My gastro guy has been saying all along, that the pain I'm feeling is related to my MS but all of my other docs do not agree. Now what do I do?? Dang, nothing is easy is it?? Ilsa

I don't mean to argue with your doctor, but when this happened to me I had emergency surgery to remove a blockage from my small bowel. I don't think the blockage showed up on a CT scan or Xray. Mine was sudden with no previous warnings. So, you might just be having a gastic thing like IBS. Keep looking into it.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Yes Ihb,

Sometimes the spasms are intestinal, they hit in the weirdest places. Intestinal spasms are very painful, I feel for you! It's worse when your bowels are full so try and stay regular if you can.

Hope you feel better soon!
      When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Ilsa,

I know that the GI tract (intestines) are effected by M.S., so it stands to reason, that some pain could be from that. I am especially glad to hear your doctor ruled out other causes (by doing the MRI/A and other tests)
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

PWMS often experience spasms and cramping in any muscle of the body, so I suspect there is no reason that you couldn't have cramping in your abdominal muscles.

I have had this cramping, almost to the point it felt like being in labor! Was pretty sure I had to go to the toilet, but I did not. When I tried tightening the muscles by doing a holding crunch, it would relax (just like when you get a cramp in your calf and you tense it up to get it to relax).

You are definitely not the only person to experience this, but I'm not surprised they did not find anything gastrointestinal or with other organs.
          20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

Thanks for feedback

I really appreciate the feedback. I've been to ER twice for this and feel like such a big baby for going in with my severe abdominal ache/cramping....but I figure, if I don't go in and my intestines are about to rupture, I'd be screwed.

And now that my tests have come back fairly normal ( except for a herd of cysts in my right kidney) I may be able to write this off as IBS .

So will stay on drugs as needed for pain and just carry on.

Thanks again for helping me feel that I'm not nuts and that I'm not alone.....ilsa

Comment

I get abdominal pain from time to time, but that is due to Diverticulitis. Not a fun thing, let me assure you.

Have you had your gall bladder checked by chance?

Comment

Me too

I was waiting for someone to write about this. I could have and should have written it myself. No one has said it is related to MS yet it doesn't show up on CT OR MRI.

Mine started when I was in the hospital. It was after a barnum swallow test. I fell asleep and woke up with the most terrible pain that they had to give me a dilauded infusion. I think it was constipation and the stress of being ing the hospital but that was 2 1/2 tests ago and I still have that pain. I would love another Dilaudid shot, but my dr put me on Donnatol which helped a lot (if I took 4).

Then they discontinued it! I went months suffering. It does indeed feel like I am in labor. I know because I had a baby.

After much begging, I got my Dr. to prescribe phenobarbital. It is the main ingredient in the Donnatol yet doctors are horrible when it comes to that drug. It's as though it were poison. I see my doc in March. We'll see if iget a refill. That goodness MJ is available in my state. It's not a perfect substitute but better than nothing.

I hope more people write on this. Then, maybe, we will know if it's MS.

Comment

You're definitely not alone! There is a thread called Does anyone have IBS. Tons of info and sharing in there. You may find it interesting.
                  When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi, sorry about the belly pain but do not write it off as M.S. just yet, even though it could be. The pain from my 2nd. kidney stone hit me right in the center of my belly. I have what you described in both of my kidneys and they are often calcium plaques but when you pass one piece the pain is intense and the e.r. doc. said kidney pain can transfer almost anywhere,you may want to check in to the kidney crystals just in case.
                    I do get intestinal spasms also from the M.S. but I do not think the spasm would stay in only one area but I am not a doctor, my spasms move around to places I do not even want to talk about. Valium is about the only thing that seems to help my M.S. spasms but unfortunately it helps the intestinal spasms the least of all. Good Luck and I Hope you get well.
                    PEACE
                    Tortis

Comment

correction

I misread your post and I thought it said crystals in your right kidney and it really said cysts but they also could be causing that pain in your belly.
                      PEACE
                      Tortis

Comment

Again, thanks everyone, for all of the feedback. I have both ibs and diverticulous .....lucky girl that I am. But this pain is different. I'm already on oxycodone for neuropathy but it doesn't seem to touch this pain. Very odd. Someone mentioned IV dilaudid and my second ER visit, I received three dif doses just to get me under control and discharged from ER ! I wish I could have a small script of dilaudid, just to get a break from the pain!! May ask my doc this Wednesday !!!

Again thanks everyone.......ilsa

Comment

Working...
                        X