Knee/leg buckling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knee/leg buckling?

Over the past couple of days, my left knee has been buckling or giving out on me. I don't think I have ever had this happen before and I am a bit concerned. Okay...maybe more than a bit. I don't want to fall as I have a broken shoulder and with my arm in sling it is hard to even use a cane, as that will then limit my ability to carry anything.

I don't have any other symptoms that would indicate that I am going into a flare. I am not sure what to do. Last week the weather was so nice that I walked a lot and racked up almost 10 miles over the week, so perhaps I am a bit surprised that my leg may be getting weaker. Any thoughts or experiences to share would be appreciated.

I had that for a while before a couple of lesions formed that made my legs really weak. Now they are that way all the time. I am not saying this is what will happen to you. It took several years for me. The best thing to do is to call your physical therapist, or get a referral to one. They can assess your particular case and recommend what kind of walk aid you need, especially since you have a broken shoulder.

Good luck and feel better!

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

The same thing happened to me in November, right before I started developing symptoms in my latest flare (and this flare really affected my legs). It didn't happen all the time though. In my case, it seems to have gone away, with the exception that my left leg kept doing it a couple days ago, but I think that's because I got too close to a nerve or something on my last injection (and in that case, I got a slight throbbing pain that lasted a second and I was only weak for that second). Ever since my legs started getting stronger, I haven't had any giving out at all.

I hope for your sake that this is something isolated that goes away quickly. It's bad enough to deal with the shoulder. Be careful and good luck.
      Diagnosed 1/4/13
      Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Thank you Lisa and lstrl! I am so afraid that I might be going into a flare and just wish I knew what to do to stop it. Of course, rest is probably the only thing. :-(

I am on Copaxone, but have been skipping one day a week on the arm with the broken shoulder. I don't think injecting C into the area would be smart and couldn't figure out where else to add a shot...I am slender with limited SubQ. Of course it is hard to say if missing a shot a week is causing the flare, as flares can occur even while never missing any shots.

I am sad, scared and bummed. I haven't been able to drive because of the shoulder and don't know how to deal with this too. I good days I think I can handle this crazy disease, but then something new comes along and it just slams you back down! Thanks for your thoughts and making my not feel so alone. I really appreciate having people here to turn to!

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
          The best thing to do is to call your physical therapist, or get a referral to one.
          I would also recommend a Physical Therapist.

I have/had leg buckling. There is no medication that will help knee/leg buckling, it's up to the patient to try and improve.

My neuro referred me to PT. We don't always use all of our muscles that support our knees/legs and when strengthend can reduce, minimize or even resolve leg/knee buckling.

I rarely have leg/knee buckling any longer. The more strength and muscle in my legs the less buckling has happened. I now use a weight machine to improve strength.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks Snoopy! I see my PT on Thursday that is working with passive range of motion on my shoulder. She also works with me on my Pilates, which I was doing 2x/week before my shoulder injury. My guess is that you are right....there are probably some muscles that have weakened due to my limited activity related to my shoulder injury. (other than all that walking I did last week.)

My hubby suggested I go with him to the gym and ride the bike for 10-15 minutes....that might help a bit too.

I can feel the nerve pain in my left leg again from my butt cheek down my leg through my foot. I also now wonder if my walking was a bit off due to the shift in my body with my arm in a sling. With Pilates it is easy to tell if you are compensating plus you can do exercises that focus on specific muscles as well as the core.

I am feeling more optimistic today that I might not be going into a flare....but still in bed this morning resting anyhow. :-)

Comment

MyGirlsMom, I couldn't walk down stairs in my house on the first day of a new leg exercise routine. My calf muscles were not working/engaging to properly to support me as I walked down stairs. The calf muscles have improved over the past couple of days, although it continues intermitently.

I can't stand for the first few minutes following my exercise routine, since I started. I have to wait for my calf muscles to adjust to a different position for standing or walking?

I'm not sure if it's 'weakness' or as I described it, the calf muscles not 'engaging' from delayed 'message' from the brain to the calf muscles.

I have the same problem when stepping down street curbs, it feels like my leg will not support me causing a fall. I've never fallen, but I know my calf muscles are causing both problems.

There were times when I described it as a problem with my knees, but over the past year I recognize that it's my calf muscles.

Probably a good idea to mention it to your neuro.

Comment

My hip and knee on left side buckle when I stand mostly, and sometimes when I walk. Mine is caused from my myoclonic jerking. It is necessary to find out why you are buckling in order to treat it. If it is weakness, then they would use the standard treatment for weakness. In my case, being myoclonic jerking, it is treated with anti-spasmodic / anti-epilectic drugs. I am on Clonazepam, which helps a little. I have read that this drug alone is usually not successful, and should be combined with Baclofen to be most effective.

Find the cause. Find the treatment.
                20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

I used one of those ace type wraps for extra support for several days. Just went away after that.

Comment

Working...
                  X