Memory blanks amaze me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory blanks amaze me

I was just sitting here by the fire, happily knitting a hat, trying to for get the pain that got me up at 4:00 - I dropped a needle with one stitch to go. Til I could retrieve it from the floor and get semi-comfortable again - I could NOT remember how to knit the stitch.

Put it down - took a few deep breaths - nope.

I just can't believe some days how fast it goes. I always assume it will come back, but one day I suppose it may just be gone.

I hear ya. The worst is that you sit there knowing you know it but it just won't come back. So aggravating.

You might be able to sit down a day from now and remember though. Worth a shot anyway. It's kind of like if you push it from your mind and go back to it it somehow magnetically attracts some of the stuff that went with it. I hope that makes sense. lol

Comment

Yea, I know it'll come back one day hopefully soon. It's just irritating - but kinda funny

Comment

Feeling your puzzlement

Yes, I'm currently going through a phase of brain jam. I recently washed my hands at the bathroom sink. Was sitting in the living room wondering why I heard water gushing, got up and went looking. Sure enough the water was running at the sink! Abashed!!!

Diane
        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Sunshine....

I know exactly what u mean! Not just the blanks but the KNITTING blanks. It happens to me all the time.
          Sometimes my sister can walk me thru it on the phone. Others, I lay it down for a few minutes while focusing on something else. When I pick it back up, lots of times it's like the glitch never happened. I remember what I was doing and move on til the next time.

U might try circular needles. You don't have to worry about dropping a needle on the floor! Lol
          PS. I'm so glad to find a knitter on the board.
          Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
          Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Fellow knitters

I am constantly forgetting different stitches and I've been knitting continually for 3 1/2 years now. Once I forgot how to cast on stitches, another time forgot how to increase, and so on...

There are great youtube tutorials online, I've discovered. Handy when those "blanks" happen. I bookmark them!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

well I don't knit, but understand your problem with your knitting. I am very sorry this happened, but glad you can keep a sense of humor about it.
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

My favourite thing about Memory Blanks is that unpacking shopping bags is sometimes like Christmas!
                I'm an Artist.. Your rules don't apply

Comment

I posted a swatch of my messed up forgetful knitting in the creative center (Knitting with Flare). I couldn't remember my patterning let alone a basic stocking stitch, so I just kept knitting to see what came of it.

I have had moments where I forget how to tie my shoe, or stand there looking at the egg in the pan, with spatula in hand and wonder - how do I do this?

Good Times
                  “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
                  ~ Mark Twain . . .Or a typo on the Internet. Srsly.

Comment

This is great - I don't feel alone

Leeaura - yep, was using a circular, moved it to DPNs just the same morning - then boom forgot how to do it :/

I have to switch between knitting and crocheting sometimes because my fingers seem to forget how to do one or the other. I've been crocheting over 30 years, knitting for about 5.

The other problem is counting stitches - I can never get them right. If the project is just for me, I wing it

Blackcross - too funny but yea, I know what you mean

DianeD - I've done that too! I'm not sure is worse, leaving the water running, or putting things on the stove and forgetting they are on

Oh well - maybe I'll try it later. Have to try and navigate the farmers market in the city this morning - need food!

Comment

Ok, I have started the washing machine, the cycle finishes I go take clothes out and surprise nothing in there.

Yesterday I had direct tv installed. I was in the living room the guy was in the bedroom and was making alot of noise. I totally forgot who was in there and yelled at my dh. He was at work far from home. The guy said he was just unpacking the (whatever the thing is called, funny I can't remember). I was so embarassed!!!

I have also forgotten how many scoops of coffee in my pot.

Diane I leave the water running all the time.

Aren't we so funny.
                      DIAGNOSED=2012
                      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

I don't knit, but I cross-stitch...I've created some odd and amazing pieces, all because cross-stitching involves counting, and no matter how many times I count, it still comes out skitty-wampus! . Needless to say, my cross-stitching feats rarely become a gift as in days of old! It's like going to a museum and watching people turning their heads this way and that, trying to figure what the heck they're looking at! LOL!
                        Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

oh my gosh, I Have done the scoops of coffee thing! I just kept adding and adding. It was undrinkable!! lol

I forgot how to do a basic knit stitch the other day. I'm just learning (although I've been crocheting a while) so I'm blaming it on that. But I was half way down the row just doing knit stitch and completely forgot how to do it. JUst had to set it down and come back to it later.

Scary thing is, I have had this happen while driving. I was at a stop sign and just couldn't remember what to do next for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by wendya432 View Post
                            Scary thing is, I have had this happen while driving. I was at a stop sign and just couldn't remember what to do next for a minute.
                            Whoa! That is scarey! Hope no one was blaring their horn behind you. Once I got really lost just driving to work, and that's after 14 years of working at the same place every day!! I had to call my husband to steer me back on course. I was so embarrassed...
                            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

OMG the "leaving the water running" I have been feeling bad, because I was "scolded" for doing that!

Nice to know I am not alone!
                              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                              X