Skin Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skin Pain

Hello. I woke up this morning with pain on the underside of my arm, from my armpit to just below my elbow. It feels bruised, but not real deep. Barely touching it, or my clothes touching it really hurts. When I stretch my arm it feels as if my skin is pulling, kind of like if you had a scab on your skin and stretching it.

My first thought was this is just nerve pain, but I don't know. I have had other types of nerve pain, pins and needles, burning and stabbing sensations, but this is a lot different.

Anyone have any thoughts about this? It really hurts!
    , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Make sure to check with your doctor that you don't have shingles. My husband got it and it was very similar to what you're describing.

Hope you feel better and get some answers.

Comment

IloveJesus (me too!), thank you for the information. I don't have a rash or redness or anything, but I did just read that shingles can present with pain and no rash at first.

I guess I'll see what happens in the next couple of days and pray this pain doesn't last too long no matter what the cause is!
      , T2B

Comment

Be sure to check for rash or redness or flakiness as that could be an indication of shingles.

Comment

Thank you Cosake. I'll be watching for changes on my skin. So far, it just looks normal. Hopefully, this is not Shingles! Ugh!
          , T2B

Comment

AHHH!

I have the same kind of thing on my back - have had it for 2 weeks. I don't have shingles either - just feels very sensitive/painful whith a light touch...kind of feels like a sunburn actually.
            They say it is neuopathic pain and my doc prescribed a lidocaine patch.

I asked my neuro if this will be there forever but I have not heard back for several days - he sucks! he probably will never get back to me as usual.

Comment

I've had this before too. It really hurts, even with just the lightest touch. It lasted for a few days then went away.

I'm thinking its neurological because I often get symptoms that affect the skin only.
              When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

I was pretty much thinking this was simply nerve pain as well. But, I woke up this morning with redness (not raised) from my armpit up to almost my wrist. The pain has now also extended from my elbow to my wrist. In areas, especially closest to my armpit, but on my arm, my skin looks bruised like. I haven't had any injuries, so I really don't know what to make of it.

I have, however, been taking Tamiflu since Wednesday, with the exception of today. I didn't have the flu, but my kids did and their Dr prescribed it for my husband and I in hopes of keeping us from getting it. I read about reactions caused by Tamiflu, and although very rare, there have been occurances of very serious skin reactions. Like I said, it's very rare, and it's probably not what I'm dealing with here, but to be safe I'm going to schedule an appt with my PCP tomorrow just to be sure nothing ugly is going on.

Thanks so much for your responses. I really appreciate the support.
                , T2B

Comment

I have had silent shingles, all the pain but no rash or blister. As soon as I get "that feeling" I start on an anti-viral ((the sooner the better) and that shortens the episode. I have never taken it but my Dr. has offered valium to help with the discomfort.

Another sign I get is I run a low grade fever. Hope you feel better soon. - M
                  M.
                  A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you maitrama. I have an appt with my PCP at 3:00 today. I'm thinking whatever it is is getting better. The pain is less severe, and the redness is fading, however, it looks a lot more bruised now. It looks like an old bruise, like brown and yellow. We shall see...
                    , T2B

Comment

Let us know how your Dr's visit goes.

Hope you get some relief.
                      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

So... I went to see my PCP today with this unexplained redness, bruising and pain from my armpit to my wrist. My Dr took a look at it then asked if I had any other issues. I told him that I had pretty bad pain from my neck to my lower back. I often have spasms in those areas, followed by a lot of painful stiffness. So, he typed some things into his computer, then proceeds to tell me that the redness and bruising was the result of me bumping my arm into something while I was sleeping because I was restless through the night because of my neck and back pain. What??!! How in the world could I have injured myself to that extent on the inside of my arm and the full length of my arm? Haha!

He tends to blame every ailment I have on MS, but this was out there! I typically see his PA, and I LOVE her. She's always very thorough. But, I wasn't able to see her today.

So, at this point I am in so much pain after waiting for him for 1/2 an hour, then listening to him talk for another 1/2 an hour, I just wanted to leave! Don't get me wrong, he is a super nice Dr, he's just "different". He talks A LOT. And most of the time he is talking about interesting things such as new medications and studies. But, to date, he has yet to provide help (or solutions) to any problems I've had. It was the PA who first suspected I had MS. In his defense however, in the 5 years I've been going to that office, I've only made appts with him 4 times.

Boy, that was pretty windy just to say what happened at my appt today!! Haha! Sorry 'bout that!

In short, I received no answers. But, the pain has gotten better and the redness and bruising seems to be fading. I don't have any other out of the ordinary issues right now. I'll keep an eye on it and make another appt (with the PA) if it starts looking or feeling weird again.
                        , T2B

Comment

Sorry you didn't get any answers. I know how that is - I've been to the ER twice in the last week with incredible headaches but no one can really tell me exactly why they are happening or how to prevent them even though I've had CAT Scan and bloodwork done. Very frustrating.

Be sure to record all of this into your symptom log/journal so that you have it to refer to if this happens again. Maybe there will be a pattern or something else will click.

Good luck !

Comment

Working...
                          X