I'm having a med mixup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having a med mixup

Ok guys.. please try to help me figure this out. I'm becoming confused about which meds to take for which symptoms.

I have Neurontin. I know.. it's for nerve pain. But, sometimes I really don't know if what I'm experencing is nerve pain or just plain old pain or muscle pain or weakness or what.

And I have Baclofen. Same deal. I'm never sure when it's pain from muscles or nerves. I suppose I could take either med for either type of pain. But I'm probably missing the maximum benefit.

Then there are the times when plain old Tylenol helps. Yikes! I'm losing it here. Someone please try to straighten me out. There must be some way to logic it all out so I could identity what type of pain I'm having at any given time.

Thanks.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Same question... part 2.

Can you take both meds together? My Neurontin is 100 mg and the Baclofens are 10's.

I'm always afraid to mix meds that could each cause dizziness or drowsiness.
    Marti

Comment

Marti: you can take them both together, they will cause drowsiness at first but you will get used to it,

Nerve pain is usually more painful than spasticity if you are only on 10 mg pen or scheduled. It can come with burning or tingling.

Spasticity feels more like really tight muscles. They can hurt but once you stretch them they should feel better. You can learn exercises for spastic limbs online or see a physical therapist. They will teach you how to stretch so you can maximize your Baclofen dose,

Hope you feel better soon
      Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
        Marti: you can take them both together, they will cause drowsiness at first but you will get used to it,

Nerve pain is usually more painful than spasticity if you are only on 10 mg pen or scheduled. It can come with burning or tingling.

Spasticity feels more like really tight muscles. They can hurt but once you stretch them they should feel better. You can learn exercises for spastic limbs online or see a physical therapist. They will teach you how to stretch so you can maximize your Baclofen dose,

Hope you feel better soon
        Lisa
        Moderation Team

Thanks again. You'd think that after 12 years of dealing with this I would know this stuff. I'm just getting a little confused now. Especially about meds. Actually, sometimes I can just tough it out when my toes tingle. But there are days.... you know!
        Marti

Comment

Marti-

I understand your concern. Sometimes, I stand in front of the cupboard and think, "Let's see what looks good here."

I have a Baclofen pump. That helps pretty well with my spasticity from about midback down.

If my legs feel extra tight or my neck and shoulders hurt because they are cramping or tight- I try more baclofen first.

If my pain seems like I can't touch it no matter how deeply I try to rub. Or if it is the kind of pain that is difficult to explain: tingling, prickly weird pain- then I try extra Neurontin.

I can take both at the same time but if I were you, I would be cautious at first.

Good Luck sorting this out.

Take Care,
          Denise

Comment

Working...
          X