Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering...

Hi,

I am just curious about something my Neurologist wrote in a letter to my Doc after full examination (I was also sent a copy). In explaining what he noted on examining me along with the loss of sensation and balance he wrote that he noted I had "rather brisk knee jerks" You know when they hit your knee with a little hammer. Does anyone know what that means in terms of MS? Why would brisk knee jerks be a problem or what does it show? Also he said that MRI showed clear demyelinating lesions in the brain and low thoracic cord. When I was in his clinic he showed me the scan and I asked how many lesions, he said 9 on my brain and one on my spine. That scared the hell out of me but is that actually a low number in general MS terms or do the number of lesions have nothing to do with the outcome of the disease? Sorry these are probably really stupid questions

Hi! Definitely not stupid questions. It think it is fairly common for us to to be hyper-reflexive. My neuro stands to the side lest he get kicked down under when hitting me in the knee.

Lesion counts at this time, in my understanding, aren't an exact science. Someone can have only 1 poorly placed lesion that is debilitating and someone else can have a whole brain full of them that at this time aren't yet causing disability. The other thing is depending on who reads it and the quality of the pics I think the same person can receive differing counts.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Where lesions are concerned it is all about location. Not all lesions are created equal. For instance: Most subcortical lesions do not cause a lot of disability, so you can acquire quite a few here with not much notice. The brainstem, however is a very sensitive and lesions here can cause severe disability.

As far as number goes 9 is not that many. Many of us have too many to count. Try not to worry about the number. Just go with how you feel. Make sure they get more aggressive if you start to get brainstem lesions.

You can get a copy of your MRI report to see where your lesions are.

Good luck
      Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Thanks

Thank you Lisa, I will take that advice and not worry about the number just the symptoms. To be honest it was the thought that there is something happening in my body and to my brain that had me freaked too. When he started to count I was like STOP! Now that I know its position rather than number that matters I feel a bit more at ease.

Comment

The number/amount of lesions may also vary with where the films are read.

At my local smaller sized city, the radiologist said I had "innumerable lesions." When I went to an MS Center, the same films were interpreted by the radiologist as a "relatively light burden of disease."

I don't know how many lesions are "really there." But my latest neurologist says I have "benign MS," in that I have had it more than 15 years but my disability score is less than 2.5.

Comment

Working...
          X