Yet Another Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another Question!

I get regular neck spasms but some of them are pretty severe. My head goes off to the side, pull the neck muscles, and keeps on pulling and I sorta get stuck like that.

It feels like my head wants to do a 360°. The more I try to bring my ahead to the front, it seems like the spasms are more intense.

I've had quite a few of these spasms this week and they may last for a few hours. I'm using ice to bring the swelling down and that helps. Every time I move my head I get scared that it will start over again.

[B]Also, [B]is it normal to jerk more when you're nervous?
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Carole, I have NEVER had spasms as bad as yours...I consider my head/neck movements tremors rather than spasms. I certainly have the feeling that they are not controllable, and they are very disconcerting. I've also had tremors in my hands and legs.

I have had my tremors get worse under stress, like while at the doctor's office, or while driving during tremors that came on out of nowhere. I think they always get a little worse at first because when they happen it freaks me out, and I have to work hard at calming myself down, doing some deep breathing, and just talking myself through it. When I am in public and they happen, however, I have a much harder time doing all that, and they tend to get worse until I remove myself from the situation.
    Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

Hi CaroleL,

What comes to mind with your description is Torticollis.

Torticollis is a movement disorder that can have different causes as well as no known cause. Physical Therapy can be helpful as well as muscle relaxants. Heat is better to use, heat helps relax the muscles.

My daughter has congenital Torticollis. She has "flare-ups" of her Torticollis but can work with it with the use of heat (heating pad, electric blanket) and the PT exercises she was taught.

This link explains Torticollis and might help you determine if this is what you are dealing with.
      http://www.torticollis.org/spasmodic...-symptoms.html
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Sorry about those spasms. Actually heat is better at relaxing muscles than ice.

Have you told your neuro? Sounds a little like a movement disorder like dystonia. Maybe you need a referral to a neuro who specializes in movement disorders.

In the meantime, do they have you on any meds for it, like muscle relaxers or benzos?

Dystonia can be primary, and exist by itself or it can be secondary to your MS (depending on lesion location.) Here's a link to an explanation. Plus there are lots of youtube videos of folks with dystonia. But you need to bring your problem to your neuro and explain to him what's happening.

http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/p...icollis/46.php

Comment

Yes Carole -- everything can get worse when your nervous.

Comment

CarolL

Have never experienced anything CLOSE to what you explain and am so sorry that you are going thru that.

I would think it very well COULD be from your MS. There are MANY people with MS who have muscle spasms. Tell your docs about this and let them figure out what the heck is going on.
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
            X