Seems I'm dangerous with a fork.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems I'm dangerous with a fork.

Sunday morning was good for me, mild spasms and tremors. We were having breakfast and I poked at my scrambled eggs, managed to gets some on my fork.

I was slowly bringing the fork to my mouth, I try to aim for my mouth, I'm not sure if my head is moving from side to side or my hand. Maybe both! I get the food in my mouth and out of nowhere, a spasm that I didn't feel shoved the fork all the way to the back if my mouth. I gagged automatically.

That was scary! It was a first for me and I don't want a second.

I've been having lots of spasms so I try to be careful handling stuff. I'm still trying to figure out if I should have quickly inserted fork or not. Had I gone quickly I'd have probably stabbed my cheek.

How's a girl supposed to eat?

Hubby never noticed so I had a few more bites but I was eating with my hands. Maybe plastic utensils, baby spoons?

Any ideas? Does anybody else get this?
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

There is another message board on here with OT suggestions. I am positive you will get great suggestions there.

Until then... I can offer a tiny, little bit of advice.

I remember my mom using a technique where she would use a kind of "counter pressure."

I also use this with a friend of mine that has trouble with tremors.

I will lightly pull her arm away from the target and that helps her guide her hands toward her target.

So if she is trying to eat, I will pull lightly away from her face when she is aiming toward her mouth.

She can do this with her other hand as well.

Those rubber stretching bands are also used for this. It is a challenge to get the length correct though.

There are also weights for the wrists and weighted utensils available that help with tremors.

The problem then becomes the fatigue issue with working the muscles.

Check out the other board.

Take Care

Comment

Thank you naphappy!

Comment

oh you poor dear!!!!! that must have been a scarey incident! Maybe you could ask for an O.T. refferal. They have knowledge of devices that may help you eat more safely.
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Thank you,

I am waiting to be contacted for an appt with OT. It seems to take forever. I am anxious to become comfortable in this "new reality" of mine.

Of course I am still in an acceptance phase. I mentioned before, I was expecting MRI results to confirm a dislocated pelvis or something. I wasn't ready for this. Then again I'm sure nobody is ever ready.

I do find it difficult to wait weeks or months before I get to see anyone.

Comment

Working...
          X