Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can airlines charge for disability accommodations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishead View Post
    How can this help Bluecala? I think it is too late for her to do this.
    I bet a lot of people have the same questions in their mind and might check out this thread, so it could be helpful to them.

Also, Blue Cala's flight is not until March, which could be plenty of time to arrange a first class upgrade. Many people are not aware that:

You can use airline Frequent Flyer miles to buy an upgrade from your much less expensive coach set.

You can earn Frequent Flyer "miles" through purchases with certain credit cards - for example, pay your mortgage and grocery bills with a credit card, earn the tens of thousands of miles to buy/upgrade to "free" First Class.

On some airlines you can "buy up" to elite status (if you already have some miles it is not nearly as expensive) where you are very likely (sometimes guaranteed) to get that first class upgrade.

On some airlines your friends or family can donate the miles you need to get the upgrade.

There are online tools to help you choose flights that are highly likely to have a first class upgrade available for you.

Depending on the airline, the additional fare one has to pay for first class instead of coach may be relatively small. Usually it is several times more expensive, but occasionally it is only a little more. It's worth checking at least, to be sure.

If you have a friend or family member who travels very frequently for work, they might be happy to buy your ticket for you with their FF miles, as they may have more than they can use. Before I was traveling heavy for work and earning millions of FF miles a year, I had no idea that these programs existed and I thought only the very wealthy could afford the first class airfare to travel in comfort.

I thought a person like the OP (and others in a similar spot) who has a good reason for needing the additional space would want to know that most people who travel in First Class did not pay "the list price" to do so - so they can do that too.

Comment

I take Wheelchairs in airports all the time

"People in W/Cs seem to get the 4 star treatment at every airport I have ever been to, but that doesn't mean I want to be in one!"

It's not exactly 4-star treatment, although it IS nice to be able to arrive at my gate more or less on time and not as fatigued as I would be otherwise. The wheelchairs are not exactly comfortable and you don't dare leave your seat unless you want to lose it.

There isn't much I wouldn't give if using this service were not necessary, but it is.

It also costs me about $20 in tips each way (more if the attendant is extra helpful). At times there are not enough pushers and you must wait what seems an incredibly long time.

Last time I flew I had to sit in a hard wheelchair for nearly seven hours when my plane was delayed. I finally asked the gate attendant to watch my wheelchair so I could change to a different seat for a while because my leg was so numb I could hardly get up.

Although it's nice to have the extra time to get on the plane, it's actually for airline's benefit, since it is the gate attendant and sometimes even the flight crew who work to help the disabled board.

I always fly Southwest these days, because I find them a bit more understanding than other airlines.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
        How can this help Bluecala?
        I don't know what you mean by how can "this" help. But here's what I think.

MS can be very isolating and I think it can make people lose perspective. I think that people on a message board can help keep other people with MS from losing perspective and going off the rails. Blue Cala thinks that being uncomfortable is some kind of disability that deserves some kind of accommodation and that the airline somehow owes it to her to let her be more comfortable for free just because she has MS. I don't think that's realistic and to think that the airline owes her something for free just because she has MS shows that she has lost perspective by thinking that she's more special than everybody else who might also be uncomfortable on a long flight. I think that people' answers here help by keeping her realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by jcrain9663 View Post
          "People in W/Cs seem to get the 4 star treatment at every airport I have ever been to, but that doesn't mean I want to be in one!"

It's not exactly 4-star treatment, although it IS nice to be able to arrive at my gate more or less on time and not as fatigued as I would be otherwise. The wheelchairs are not exactly comfortable and you don't dare leave your seat unless you want to lose it.

There isn't much I wouldn't give if using this service were not necessary, but it is.

It also costs me about $20 in tips each way (more if the attendant is extra helpful). At times there are not enough pushers and you must wait what seems an incredibly long time.

Last time I flew I had to sit in a hard wheelchair for nearly seven hours when my plane was delayed. I finally asked the gate attendant to watch my wheelchair so I could change to a different seat for a while because my leg was so numb I could hardly get up.

Although it's nice to have the extra time to get on the plane, it's actually for airline's benefit, since it is the gate attendant and sometimes even the flight crew who work to help the disabled board.

I always fly Southwest these days, because I find them a bit more understanding than other airlines.
          I really apologize. I did not mean to sound so glib! I am grateful each morning when I can place both feet on the floor and get myself to the bathroom. I count my blessings that although I could get a handicapped tag, that I can still walk well enough to do without.

I take one day at a time. I have a relative with M.S. who now conducts her life from her bed. Getting on a plane in any way, shape or form is no longer even an option for her.

I know this is not a disease anyone should take lightly. I do count my current abilities as blessings. Thanks for setting me straight on the "four star" treatment though!
          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post

Although I think it is an excellent idea to request comfortable seats I don't think the airline should be expected to pick up the tab especially not for both of you.
            This exactly.
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I agree with everything Tawanda mentions.
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
              X