Lower back pain and pain at base of neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower back pain and pain at base of neck

I see many posts here where people are mentioning lower back pain. I too have had lower back pain for many months - sometimes waking me up in the early morning. But recently now I'm have bad pain at the base of my neck. Anyone else experiencing this? And any ideas to relieve the lower back pain or this new to me bad neck pain.

Hi Emily,

I've had lower back pain for 2 years now. I also have pain in my neck.

Because the root of the pain being neurological, the most relief I've had is Lyrica. It was prescribed to be at the ER just a few days ago.

My back pain has subsided although my neck is very sore because of the constant spasms.

I was told to put heat on my lower back to keep my muscles moving there. As for the neck, I am feeling that the spasms are causing inflammation, so I think ice is indicated there.

I hope that helps.
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Have you seen a 'back doctor' (preferably a physiatrist, and definitely not a surgeon)?

It's a lot more common for back pain to be caused by musculoskeletal problems than neurological ones (although back pain can be a complication of spasticity, too). A physiatrist has the training to recognize the difference and rx the best therapy.
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Well your post certainly caught MY attention!! Sorry for what you are going through. I wonder if you have seen an orthopedic doc? You may need to get your neck and spine xrayed. And they may also recommend a MRI too.

I have both issues. It gets tricky as to which discipline treats which symptoms. Yes, I have discs issues both in my neck and spine with spinal stenosis. I always see my ortho doc first to rule out ortho issues first. They are good at knowing which is ortho and when to refer my issues back to Neuro. But it does get confusing. Not everything is MS!

Now I take a great anti-inflammatory drug called Diclofenac with my Baclofen for my spasticity. I do have pain which I believeis more from my spinal stenosis.

But in last 6 monts my neck has been spasming, or has just painful "spots" like nerves "exploding" to me. I get sudden dizziness, nausea and feel spacey for a few seconds. Comes in waves.

Presently seeing a vascular neuro to rule out that it is anything vascular. I see my MS neuro next month.

Again, its confusing, but get your doc to order a MRI if necessary to see what is going on presently.

Let me know how you are doing. I will be thinking of you especially!

Warmly, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Thanks. Good info. Sorry you all are having troubles too.
          But first I still have to work on finding a ride to any doctor!

Comment

Aww.. wish I lived closer, I would give you a ride!

And..if you find out it is NOT neuro related, do not forget a good chiropractor, or accupuncturist sp? which helps with pain. NOT the bone cracking kind of Chiro, but I go to one that uses B.E.S.T technique..easy and gentle. HE can UNPINCH nerve bundles, help with inflammation etc.

Good luck, let us know how you are doing..

Warmly, Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
            X