More blood work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More blood work.

I finally got blood work order in the mail today. Has anyone ever had test for serum immunofixation electrophoresis? I wish I knew what they were looking for. If only they would call me back.

It sounds like this is the blood test to look for O bands. To diagnose MS the spinal fluid is compared to the blood. There has to be more O bands in the spinal fluid than there is in the blood. There usually aren't any O bands in blood but sometimes there are and a couple are OK. I think there has to be at least 4 O bands in the spinal fluid but I'm not absolutely sure of the number so you should check on that. O bands and some other things that are in the spinal fluid in MS are also in the spinal fluid in other diseases so your doctor will have to look at more different tests to tell one from the other.

Comment

Aren't the spinal tap and the blood supposed to be done the same day?
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Yep, think so
        Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

That is what bothers me. i did have the blood drawn at the time of spinal tap. So I am thinking they lost my blood work. Is that what that blood test is for?

Comment

Yes, I think so. "Electrophoresis" is how they look for O bands. Yes it sounds like they lost your blood or there was a problem with the test because its supposed to be done at the same time as the spinal fluid test. You can get a clue about what happened by requesting your lab results from the spinal tap and the blood test. If there aren't any results for O bands for the blood test, you'll know what happened. I guess your doctor figured it would be better to do the blood test again than ask you to do the spinal tap again too. Maybe you feel that way too?

Comment

Ok thanks. I have already called the office twice requesting my results from both my mri and my spinal tap and they have not called me back.

Comment

I had been sick since last Thursday. so today I go to get my blood work and they said they do not take my insurance there, great. I get home and somehow finally get through to the Dr. and she said I can go to another lab to get it, so then I ask why they have to repeat this blood test. She goes to check and comes back and said they wanted more in depth testing. I asked about results of my mri and LP and she said my chart is on Dr's desk and he should call me soon.

Comment

If it makes u feel any better i just had a spinal tap and blood work done the same day... (serum immunofixation) and they got the results back but instead of telling me what they were via phone like usual... They sent me a slip to go get more blood work done agaon (serum immunofixatio)

Limbo is fun...

But keep your head up

Comment

The test is done as part of the LP process, both on the CSF and the blood sample drawn at the same time. It can also be used independently to look for certain proteins. Here is a pretty understandable explanation of the test.

http://labtestsonline.org/understand...resis/tab/test

Kyle
                    At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                    X