Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice?

I found this website online and I hope I'm posting in the correct area. I recently met a very interesting woman that I seem have a lot in common with.
    I've only known her a short time but I feel a connection, maybe its a good friendship maybe its more, way too early to tell we just met at work last week and had a couple nice conversations.
    We were having a good conversation at work just the two of us this evening talking about our kids, being single parents, the nightmare of divorce. In the middle of the conversation she told me she has MS, it didn't change the tone of our conversation, we talked about how she discovered she has MS and then unfortunately our break was over and we had to get back to work.

I am not very familar with MS, I learned quite a bit reading online tonight and I found more than a few posting about different people wondering when to share with others about having MS. Understandably it seemed pretty private and I'm glad she shared with me. Im not worried about her having MS interfering where life takes us as friends or more were just starting to get to know each other and it seems like we have genuine connection for good friends possibly more.

It's not everyday you connect with someone on higher than average daily level. What I'm wondering is am I reading more into it because I feel a connection or from what I read from others postings?
    I kind of feel silly asking but I found its always better to ask than not. Thank you for any advice and I apologize that I couldn't explain this in less words.
    ** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Only you can tell that. Get to know her better. Then you will find out if there is an actual connection. Don't feel sorry for her. Most msers hate that. Do help her if she asks or is struggling. Be a gentleman.

It is nice you want to get to know more about the disease.

It is a progressive disease, but not everyone progresses at the same rate. Not everyone has the same symptoms. It is characterized by lesions or plaques in the brain caused by scars left from a break down of myelin, the sheath that covers the nerve. It is like the covering on a wire in a house. Once that goes, sparks fly. Same thing in the brain. This cannot be replaced, although the body tries to repair it badly, and it makes a scar (lesion). These cause nerve signals to not be able to get through to their destination.
    In tern, the patient experiences numbness, weakness, tingling, pain etc.

There is no cure for ms currently, but they are certainly working on one. We take medicines called DMD's (Disease modifying drugs) Some are in the form of a shot we give ourselves, some are infusions, some are pills-the newer ones. All have their own lovely side-effects.

Many people with MS go on to live semi-normal lives. They work, work out, do what normal people do, you couldn't pick the out of a crowd.

I hope you will continue your interest.

Good luck with everything.
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks

For your reply. I don't feel sorry for her, I find her interesting. Thank you again for your kind reply.

Comment

Hi JessieR and welcome!

My advice would be not to ever get involved with someone at work. The MS will be the least of your worries if you do and it goes bad.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Hi JesseR, I would say that most of us who "don't look sick" keep our MS private so as not to be pitied. It sounds like you do feel a connection and bless your heart for researching this illness but it's tough disease to live with, both for the MSer and for our significant others. It's definitely not for the faint of heart.

There are no 2 cases alike as you probably have discovered so my best advice is just get to know her better as a person and try to not let her MS define her. I would echo Jules A's caution about getting involved with someone at work except I would be a hypocrite. I met my DH at work (2nd marriage for both of us) and we've been together for 15 years now.

Good luck, please keep us posted, you seem like a good guy for coming here and inquiring!
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
            I would echo Jules A's caution about getting involved with someone at work except I would be a hypocrite. I met my DH at work (2nd marriage for both of us) and we've been together for 15 years now.
            I guess I can't argue with that outcome!
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X