Wanting to move abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
    Hello. I am Orstrailyan. (Yes, that's the standard accent.)

I'd say getting anything more than a tourist visa might be tricky, even if you have full medical coverage, and a job lined up.

Iknow of a British doctor and his family who wanted to work in Australia. He couldn't get a working visa because his son had cerebral palsy, even though he was very well-off and guaranteed to pay for everything.

I could be wrong, though. People were not impressed with that decision, and things might have changed.

Good luck.
    I saw a similar story where a family with a severely autistic daughter wanted to immigrate. They were well off, said they'd pay for their daighter's care and had lots of family in Aus but were still denied.
    Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
      The travel insurance thing is difficult. They don't usually cover a pre-existing condition. You can use the tried and true method - overstay your tourist visa long enough to fall in love and then get married.
      I haven't had any trouble buying travel insurance that covers my pre-existing conditions, but I make the purchase immediately after booking the trip, as pre-ex is covered only if you buy with 14 - 21 days of making the first payment, including even a small deposit to hold a cruise reservation or pay for the first hotel night. Also, at the time of purchasing the insurance you must be physically able to make the trip.

I have not purchased insurance for any trip longer than 3 months, so I don't know how an insurer would handle a year long trip as proposed by the OP.

I got a "vacation waiver" from my health insurer to buy 3 months of medication all at once to take with me, so my "routine MS care" was covered. My main concern was a serious injury or illness that might happen overseas, especially one requiring airlifting back to the US, which could easily cost $500,000.

As far as "tried and true" overstaying your visa - some countries track both exit and entry of foreign visitors. Use caution! But of course if you marry someone who has good insurance and lives in a country with good health care, well it might be worth the risk!

Comment

Google visa application Australia. I never realised what a hard lot we were.
        We're very big on health checks. It's a bit like applying for insurance. Those pre-existing conditions will get you every time.

Comment

Working...
        X