Colonoscopy prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonoscopy prep

My last one was when I had better mobility. Now I'm afraid I'll have problems making it in time to the bathroom. What do others do for this problem? I'm meeting with the Dr. next week to talk about it.

Is there any way to move a relatively comfortable chair (borrowing one if you need to?) very close or into the bathroom? I have had the prep a few times and you're definitely in there so much, but you don't want to hang out on the toilet the whole time. Plus it's not terribly practical to rent one of those chairs that have a bed pan in them because of volume and force.

Wet wipes and soft toilet paper are worth their weight in gold as you will know. If things are easier you may choose to wear a nighty and leave the panties off so you don't have to wiggle those on and off as much.

Comment

What about wearing Depends just in case you can't make it? It might be a good investment for a box of them.

I also had some supplies like magazines handy because there were times when I knew it would be better to just sit there for a while rather than bother going back to bed.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Just keep in mind the prep is worse than the test

I think I ended up basically sitting in the bathroom and trying to get all the 'stuff' drunk By the end of the night I hated the taste of lemon aide!
        Fortunately I don't need to have another for 10 years
        techie
        Another pirated saying:
        Half of life is if.
        When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
        Dogs Rule!

Comment

Great question, I was wondering the same thing.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks for the great tips. I agree that the prep is the worst part.

Comment

I followed the prep religiously, being miserable before I finally started going. I have to have another in 5 years because I wasn't totally cleaned out!

I think this is my most undesirable MS problem. I can drink citrucel daily, take magnesium, pro-biotic, etc., and I still have to use a suppository to go. I try to make myself go every day. I'm currently working with a gastroenterologist for this problem, the one that did the colonoscopy. Bloodwork came out fine, but we also did a CAT scan.

I see him next Friday to see if he found anything that way. It is extremely frustrating!
              Brenda
              Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
                I agree that the prep is the worst part.
                The gravity of this statement didn't quite register with me until I had been through it. I happen to agree but for those who haven't done it yet...

think about how horrible that prep must be if the rotor-rootering of your personal parts isn't the the worst part.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

I have to agree with 2 pearls of wisdom.

Given that you will be "slowed", I think investment of Depends is worth every penny. I ALSO liked: "Do not wear PJ bottoms".

Perhaps using BOTH pieces of advice together would be even better.
                  Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

For my first Colonoscopy, my doctor gave me the Golytely and a exploding magic diarrhea pill. The second time the prescription did not include the pill and although I went a lot, it was much delayed and less urgent. So while I was clean by the end of the day the first time, the second time it took overnight.

So I would go over things carefully with the doctor beforehand. They may be able to do things more slowly and while it may take 24 instead of 12 hours to clean things, there may be careful ways of doing it.

Comment

Oh and I also started eating fairly light two days before the prep figuring what didn't go in won't have to come out.
                      Anonymous

Comment

My last one was after I couldn't work anymore and was on disability. Really couldn't walk with a cane or walker fast enough to get to the bathroom fast enough and the doc didn't want me to spend the day or night on the toilet. Sooo, I was admitted into the hospital over night and did the prep there. Nurses around, bathroom chair at bedside, bathroom handy, insurance paid and was pampered. No polops (sp?) so can wait 10 yrs to do it again. Good thing - can't walk anymore.

Comment

Working...
                        X