I have broken both feet over the span over 7 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have broken both feet over the span over 7 months

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I broke my right foot (5th metatarsal) in March. And then I broke the same bone on my left foot in October.
    Missy in NY
    In Limbo - In need of some answers

I'm so sorry,I broke my right foot, than 2 toes,my neuro does not think it's related to my MS except for my awful balance. Keep us posted,God Bless Owl Nona.

Comment

Originally posted by msimpson45 View Post
      Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I broke my right foot (5th metatarsal) in March. And then I broke the same bone on my left foot in October.
      Have you had your calcium levels checked? Hyperparathyoidism, a tumor in the parathyroid that can lead to high calcium levels and brittle bones for people of any age mimics MS symptoms. Have your PCP check your levels since you have broken bones in both feet recently. If it is high, getting the tumor (which is always benign) out is curative and your neurological symptoms will slowly go away after 1 year.

Check it out anyway. Its just a blood test.
      Take care
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Not sure on the timing, but I believe it was over the course of a couple years, I broke my right foot three time. Two times it was a Jones fracture, the third time, it was the bone in my heel.

All three breaks happened through exactly the same circumstances. I was going down steps. I'd roll my ankle and come down hard on the side of my foot. I became very careful and watchful when I was using steps.

Then I started wearing shoes with more ankle support, but eventually I realized that was the leg with the most spasticity and what we thought was foot drop, but later turned out to be spasticity related foot issues. I haven't had a similar accident in years (knocking on wood.)

I saw an orthotist recently and he thinks I should be wearing lace up ankle braces...sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

Comment

Nope, just the one foot. Two feet broken is not good.
          Happy (ha) New Year.

Comment

OOOWWWWW!!!!!!! were you wearing any sort of foot gear? My doctor wanted me to wear a hard bottom shoe to prevent injuries to my feet and toes. Just a thought. And if this was already mentioned I am sorry.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

YESSS!! Both feet, first he left foot, middle bone stress fracture exactly a year later the right foot!! I had NO car, no "boot"..was missed first set of x rays so kept walking on it..took foreverrr to heal!!

This was before any of my diagnoses. I was miserable..

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

You may want to get your vitamin levels checked. My son broke his leg in May and it turned out he was critically low in vitamin D.

Comment

SO glad you posted this!!!!

About 12 years ago, I rolled my foot off a step in the garage and fracture my calcaneus in my right foot. My primary doctor missed the fracture on x-ray and put me in just a bandage. Long story short, went back to him, found fracture.. went to podiatrist ... found fracture and loose bone fragment .. was in a cast for 6 months ... finally had to have surgery to remove the bone fragment that was loosely causing pain. All in all, I was in a cast, or boot for a full year!

I have turned my ankles other times as well but just 4 or 5 years ago, I rolled my left ankle and for fear of breaking something like before, I "through my weight off of that foot" which in turn, made my ROLL my RIGHT foot again!!! I also fell onto the sidewalk and skinned up my knee and hand. Needless to say, I was screaming and crying by that time with TWO sprained ankles and so afraid I had broken one or both again!

My neighbors called an ambulance .... imagine my embarrassment but I went to the ER for x-rays. No breaks but I had a wrap on the left and a big boot on the right foot. I really got "the looks" wobbling around with BOTH feet out of commission! Ha ha!

In hindsight, I now realize that all the while I was thinking that I had "weak ankles" (which may still be partly true) but I am thinking now that is was more of a bad balance issue due to MS. *sigh*
                  MS - diagnosed 2/05/2013

Comment

I can't press this idea more strongly. I have posted this thought many times on this site. All of us with MS have many imbalances in vitamin absorption, steroid production and hormonal imbalance. I am not a medical pro, but I can almost guarantee that you have some sort of imbalance going on.
                    You need to have your blood tested for vitamin D, B-12 and magnesium levels. There are probably other tests that could help to determine your imbalances, I just don't know what they are. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                      I can't press this idea more strongly. I have posted this thought many times on this site. All of us with MS have many imbalances in vitamin absorption, steroid production and hormonal imbalance. I am not a medical pro, but I can almost guarantee that you have some sort of imbalance going on.
                      You need to have your blood tested for vitamin D, B-12 and magnesium levels. There are probably other tests that could help to determine your imbalances, I just don't know what they are. Good luck
                      I'm not sure if you were directing this to me or the initial poster ... but I'm sure it "goes" for all of us! Anyway, my Vitamin D was extremely low at *8* when I had my first neuro visit!!!
                      MS - diagnosed 2/05/2013

Comment

broken feet---what DMD are you on?

Hi All, I fractured my left foot six weeks ago after tripping over my dog. I fractured the fourth metatarsal once and the fifth one twice, narrowly avoiding a Jones fracture and surgery. I have been in the boot for six weeks and the fifth metatarsal shows no signs of healing. (I'm taking calcium and vitamin D, etc.)
                        This my first broken bone in my entire life. (I'm 40)
                        The landing I took after tripping over the dog did not seem any different than many "oopsies" I have done.

I am wondering if there might be a connection to the DMD's I have taken? I took copaxone for 2.5 years and have been on Tysabri now for 20 months. I have had to do solumedrol infusions twice for ON. Does anyone else out there suspect a connection between their meds and broken bones or feet? Maybe it's just a part of the aging process or plain bad luck, but I am wondering if maybe there are other side effects not listed or documented yet that go with the DMD's.

Any input would be appreciated.
                        Thanks!

Comment

msimpson45, both feet in 7 months?? I hope you're getting lots of TLC and feeling better soon.

I haven't broken either foot yet, but I have noticed that my feet aren't always in the 'right' position when walking, down stairs, stepping off curb, etc.

I've pulled something in my knee as a result of the foot issue, knee seems to bare the brunt of the walking issues. Other times it's a sore spot or pulled something in one of my feet. All have been very minor, no long term injury, pain or breaks, but it shakes my confidence when walking down stairs. Thankfully, everything resolves quickly until the next time.

It is happenning with increased regularity. I did have a major episode of Gait Apraxia in November. I'm thinking the 'twisting' foot and pulled knee are apraxia related, and it may be a matter of time before a fall or something more happens.

Comment

Broken toes due to stress

I have had stress fractures in my feet about 6 years ago. Dr said i was low on vit D. I wonder why there are so many people here in the US low in vit D?

I made sure my level was higher than the normal. It has stayed steady for the past 5 months.

I still have trouble with my feet if I don;t where shoes all the time. I can't walk in my bare feet anymore. If i have pain that prevents me from walking i use my cane.

It helps. You have to find what works for you! Hope you can all find some relief,

God Bless you all!
                            STR

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                              YESSS!! Both feet, first he left foot, middle bone stress fracture exactly a year later the right foot!! I had NO car, no "boot"..was missed first set of x rays so kept walking on it..took foreverrr to heal!!

This was before any of my diagnoses. I was miserable..

Jan
                              OH Jan, that is scareyyy
                              What did your Doc do, to find out "root of problem", behind your fracture?
                              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                              X