Strange Yawning Symptoms - Dysphagia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Yawning Symptoms - Dysphagia?

Does anyone out there have prior or current symptoms related to yawning? About 2-1/2 years ago, for about 3 months, every time I yawned, my throat closed up and I would choke and gasp for air. Needless to say, I never could complete a yawn, since the point of yawning is to get extra air into your lungs. After the initial few months, the symptom started to improve, but has remained with me as a terribly embarrassing symptom - now I sound like a barking seal with each yawn, or sometimes a strange alien sound (literally like alien from outer space). Whenever someone hears me yawn, they look at me and say, "What the heck was that?!"

I wondered if it had anything to do with the muscles in my throat, causing it to constrict, similar to what might cause difficulties in swallowing. I talked to my old neuro who simply mentioned it to my GP as a bizarre symptom. I mentioned it to my Endocrinologist who confirmed my thyroid nodules are not impacting on any part that would affect yawning, and he called x-ray to ensure that my GERD x-rays showed nothing causing any blockage.

Any ideas?
    20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

I don't have an answer - but yes - sometimes I cannot complete a yawn - feel like I'll suffocate trying.

Also, every now and then I go through a couple months of unconscious 'panting' - quick, short breaths that actually hurt eventually if I can't stop them once aware of them.

Don't know???

Comment

Thanks for your reply. It can be a scary feeling that you can't get air, especially in the midst of a yawn which is pretty much an uncontrollable act, i.e. you can't stop the yawn once it comes, and if you do, it will keep trying to come back!

So, basically, you hope it is a really quick yawn instead of a long, drawn-out one where you are not getting any air inside your lungs. But, I don't feel suffocated anymore, just like my throat closes just enough to make funny, horrific, and loud sounds (kinda like my body has invented its own instrument that nobody wants to listen to). haha.
      20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

Working...
      X