Trackstand, Early Gift to Myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trackstand, Early Gift to Myself

I've been looking into a Trackstand for over a year. Considered buying a used one, but after the latest new sx's, I impulsively purchased a new one last Thursday.

Trackstand is equipment that allows bike riding indoors via a bike stand. The rear wheel of the bike 'sits' in a stationary device that allows peddeling the bike in a stationary position, without moving the bike forward.

I set it up yesterday, no assembely required. It is scarey how out of condition I am. I couldn't sustain much resistence or peddle for more than 90 seconds at a time without completely losing strength in my legs.

I also couldn't balance without using my arms/hands on the handle bars because it induces neuro arm pain and numbness. I'm working on the theory that over time balance will improve so it won't be necessary to use my arms at all for balance while petteling the bike.

I started out yesterday doing multiple brief 'sets' of less than 2-3 minutes each, pushed myself as much as I could for brief periods of time.

I had severe arm numbness last night holding my book before falling asleep, but I did not wake during the night with arm pain or numbness, so that's encouraging.

This morning I was able to balance myself without using my arms, timed 10 minutes, varying my speed as muscles fatigued and recovered.

I was not expecting to improve my balance and muscle endurence this quickely, amazing. Balance is not one of my big MS issues, I've only had brief episodes of inbalance. Maintaining balance while peddeling a bike seemed like a different balance challenge.

My biggest complaint this morning is that I'm saddle sore. Ouchies just sitting here typing. But I'm euphoric about doing something to improve my general health. Doing nothing no longer seems like an option for me.

Can you change out the handlebars to something more upright to lessen the pressure on your arms? We also used a trackstand and propped up the front tire with a block of wood to keep from feeling like you were always riding "downhill."

Good for you for taking the initiative on getting back into shape. Hope you continue to see improvements.

Comment

Good for you for getting the stand. I have one myself. Have you looked into padded cycling shorts? They do help.

Comment

Great decision !!

I started to ride a bike 3 years ago and love it so much. I also got a stand for my wife bike to use it indoor.

I was really surprise how fast I was progressing so you too
        probably.

And a padded short are a must.

Good luck.

Alain

Comment

welchkin, thanks for the encouragement! The tracker I have really does not move the bike forward in any disernable measure. I have considered changing the handle bars, but it is my daughter's bike, she uses it regularly.

Because my arm numbness/pain is a huge problem, and the reason I stopped bike riding, I did consider altermative handle bars, a recombumbant/?sp bike. This is the best alternative for now, and problems with balance and using my arms/hands may become a non-issue as my balance improves. I hope.

I have noticed while riding this morning the Hug intensified. Not sure if that was because of an increase in body heat or if it's going to be an on-going problem. I hope the intense Hug is not induced by body motion causing irritatation in spinal lesion area. I have a suspission if it's anything like my arm pain and how any arm activity induces pain, numbness, and function, moving my legs and trunk area might result in inducing the hug or worse, worsening my Gait Apraxia. I'm hopeful though.

marybenes, my very next investment will be one of those 'jelly' seat covers and a pair of padded cycle shorts.

As soon as I can determine if the bike tracker is a viable option, and I get into competing condition, I'm going to put out a challange to all MS Trackers.

Thank you both for your encouragment and happy tracking?

Comment

penkalet, I had to give up bike riding because of the arm thingy, a MS sx for 2yrs before I was officially dx'd. Before MS I biked most of my adult life.

I love the endorphin? rush and have missed riding very much. I considered riding one of my fave activities.

Riding indoors will not be the same experience as outdoor bike riding, but I'm more than happy to settle for the possibility to improve my general health.

My former athletic self & general good health was a point of personal pride before MS. I'm a much hummbler being now-a-days.

Comment

Good for you!! I have the Kurt Kinetic trainer (same concept). Do you have a stand for your front wheel?? You could raise the front wheel with a stack of tiles, or something sturdy and stable, thereby lifting the handlebars and taking the weight off your arms. (you'd be positioned like you are riding up a hill). My front wheel plastic stand has a slight rise, but just enough to bring the bike up to level. Without that, with the rear wheel attached to the trainer, you're actually putting more weight on your arms, by seemingly positioned like you are going downhill. Sometimes if I want to read, I even put a big pillow atop the handlebars, but if you need them for balance, I wouldn't recommend that :-) Keep it up!! Exercise is key!! Marleigh

Comment

Marleigh123, I have the Blackburn brand tracker, no front wheel stand. I understand the principle of reducing the forward leaning weight on my arms, but lifting the front wheel doesn't eliminate the body's racing stance/position on a 10sp bike, which causes the problem with my arms.

I'm happy to report that I've improved my balance, don't need to hold the handle bars at all, problem solved.

It occured to me how much I'd enjoy reading while tracking too.

The MS Hug is intensifying during my workout and impaired walking is worse following my workout. I had a body wide trembling and weakness episode during my last workout yesterday, that doesen't seem to be a conditioning issue as much as a MS one.

Guess I'll back off a bit today and hope things improve tomorrow when I'll give it another go. Maybe I'll try an every other day exercise routine for a while.

I'm a bit discouraged and disappointed today.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I appreciate the encouragement and knowing other trackers are out there.

Comment

The stand for the front wheel is also used to stablize that wheel. It helps keep your bike in alignment.

Comment

marybenes, thanks for the tip. Riding with front tire out of allignment doesn't sound like a good thing.

My list of bike tracker accessories is getting longer every day. Santa better be hooking me up this year.

Thanks again and happy tracking.

Comment

Working...
                    X