Exploding head syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exploding head syndrome

Does anyone else experience these episodes? I just figured out what it's called and it's been happening to me for several years. I'll be asleep when I'm awakened by a loud explosion and sometimes a flashing light. Then I realize it's all in my head. It's such a bizarre experience and wondered if it could be related to MS in some way. Just curious if anyone else with MS has experienced anything like it.

Have you talked to your MS doc about your 'Exploding head syndrome'?

Have you started any new meds?

The only thing that comes to mind is nocturnal visual and auditory hallicunations/sp? of some kind.

You should probably talk to your MS doc about it soon if it is happens with any regularity.

Comment

Hi ilovejesus,

May I ask where you heard the term 'Exploding head syndrome' or is this a name you felt best applied?

I have experienced what MSW1963 described as nocturnal visual and auditory hallucinations. Never together... separately... ie;
      with EYES CLOSED in middle of night EVERYTHING turns pure white, last a fraction of a second (explosion like would fit), and then back to black, no sound. Very freaky.

Or I will be awakened in middle of night by reasonably loud noise (but no light or flash)... Sit upright and listen, look, search even with flashlight.... nothing ever there.

Maybe, I too, have episodes of 'Exploding head syndrome' !?

Proves that MS never sleeps... and always finds a new way to screw with us.

Jer

Comment

exploding head

I've had this occur but probably only once. I fell asleep and was awaken by a loud explosion that I knew was inside my head. It was almost painful. Maybe its related to the lesions? I don't know but it was very disturbing.

Katherine

Comment

You definitely don't have to have MS to have hallucinations.

I haven't read it, but Oliver Sacks just wrote a book on hallucinations. I've heard a few interviews, and the one of his conclusions is that all kinds of hallucinations are much more common that people (even doctors) think. The bottom line is: No one wants people to think they're crazy, so no one talks about their hallucinations!

Here's a recent TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/oliver_sack...our_minds.html
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

From what I have read, it can also be considered a form of a sleep disorder.

http://www.sleepassociation.org/inde...ngheadsyndrome

Comment

Hello,
              I do have it rarely, one or twice a year, a bang with a feeling that a electric discharge like a rubber band that just snap when I am sleeping or just have fallen to sleep.
              Don't seem to hurt any thing!!
              Let us know if you have a answer.
              Alain

Comment

I get music sometims

When I am going to sleep. I 'hear' a song over and over. ( wish I could choose which one)
                I also have tinnitus which I tend to ignore too.
                Very interesting!
                techie
                Another pirated saying:
                Half of life is if.
                When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                Dogs Rule!

Comment

Good afternoon,

I had no idea this had a name...

Every once and a while I "hear" a loud "bang" or "crack" inside my head. I use the colons as the words do not adequately describe the sensation.
                  It's almost as if 2 pieces of wood were being smacked together between my ears.
                  There is no physical sensation that manifests along with the sound, but it is very intense!

Thank you for putting a name to the syndrome as I was able to Wiki it.

Arthur
                  " An eye for an eye; and soon the whole world is blind" -- Mahatma Ghandi

Comment

It's so odd that this is mentioned, I had this once, and about a month ago. I just recall being asleep, in the middle of the night, and it was just like I was in a huge explosion. It was a short sound, but so extremely loud and enough to make me sit straight up in the bed. No pain with it.
                    Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
                    Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
                    dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

I just started searching the internet about auditory hallucinations and came across this term and was shocked to find that there is actually a name for it. I thought it must be MS related. I have never had any other auditory hallucinations, but have had sleep paralysis in the past. I've never even mentioned it to anyone because I didn't want to be viewed as crazy or something. I'm definitely asking my neurologist when I see him in a few weeks and I'll let you know what he says. I feel better that some of you have also had similar experiences. It's so bizarre.

Comment

It has a name! The wiki on this describes perfectly something I've been experiencing since my late 20s. I never told a doc about it until it started happening again this year. The neuro called it nervous system hyperactivity. He also said it wasn't serious and that if it got too bothersome, that klonipin would help it.

Mine started out like thunderstorms with lightening flashes in my head years ago, and now is more of the buzzing and visual static. There are other weird things that happen with it, like my body starts twitching all over after the buzzing fills my head. It's like it spills over and is discharging through all of the muscles, then finally stops right about the time I wake up.

So glad to have a name for this. I'm finding it happens most when I'm extremely fatigued, often haven't slept well for days, and possibly stressed. Xanax might be a trigger, too. The wiki on this is spot on.

Good to know it's not that uncommon.
                        It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Working...
                        X