Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do these tremors mean anything ...

Hey everyone...

Just wanted to get some opinions on these tremors I have had...A bit of background required, I'll try keep it short -_-!

First of all I need to separate my tremors into two periods. The part before and after when I became sensitive to it...While these have happened for a long time, it wasn't until my physio asked me if I had seen a Dr about my tremors that I became super sensitive to it and started noticing and worrying about them.

Ok so here goes... Just to start off, I have always been a weak child and lacked endurance and flexibility...

When I was 17 I started going to the gym, I would tremble a lot with the weights as do most people, however mine was worst than most I have ever seen and I seemed really sensitive to it. For example, missing a meal, not eating properly a big work out, would make me tremble a lot. I was never worried about this given my (thin) frame. I still at this point, consider this normal.

I spent a lot of time on the computer and also work in the office. After finishing school at 18, I spent 3 years not really playing sport any more. At 22, I started the new love of my life (Capoeira, a brazilian martial art).

I was weaker than most people, very unflexible, shaky in lots of movements, etc but I learnt very quickly and adapted quickly.

1 year into capoeira I had an accident and tore my anterior cruciate ligament in my knee (This requires surgery and an extensive rehabiliation period) Return to sport is 8 months to 1 year, full back to normal (hopefully) recovery is 2 years.

During my rehabiliation weeks after surgery my physio made a comment about my shakiness and asked if I had seen a Dr regarding it. Me being a mild hypercondriac in the passed was instantly concerned. He mentioned MS amongst other things.

My Doctor did a checked my thyroid with a blood test which came back fine but didn't seem concerned to do much more.

Since then I notice a lot about my tremors and I will try detail them.

Excercise related tremors that get better with time I am not concerned about.

I have tremors in my fingers, for example when holding my thumb poised over my phone to press buttons it twitches a bit. I was worried about this but noticed that a few of my colleagues and my girlfriend seem to have the same thing going on. Not sure if it is just common in people that are on the computer a lot ?

Second but of tremors that concerns me relates to my legs. We have found during my rehabiliation that I get tremors when raising my legs up higher, close to my waist line. As this gap closes the tremors become stronger. I have a very tight sciatic nerve and unsure if this is related but it always is a lot worse around here. My abdominals also tremor a lot. If I hold a plank for 20 seconds I start shaking like a leaf.

The wierd thing is, my strength doesn't seem affected. For example, my one legged knee extensions have gone from 2.5kg (After surgery) to know at 17.5kg (that is on one leg). My leg press is back over 100kg and I am getting back into capoeira slowly.

I do not get resting tremors. I do not have trouble controlling or targetting my movements. I do not have delays in my movements.

Does anyone think I need to be concerned about this in relation to MS or a serious neurological issue?

I really appreciate any feedback,

Thanks.

If it bothers you and it affects anything you do , normally, i think it may be neurologically connected. I would see my PCP first. Then, I would get an appointment with a neurologist who deals with MS, regularly. Good luck

Comment

Sorry about spelling mistakes, I can't see an 'edit' feature.

I should also mention, my diet isn't very good or consistent.

Comment

The neuro usually checks my tremors by having me stand up, with arms stretched wide. I then have to touch my nose and then his finger. Each time he moves his finger. My tremors are intention tremors and are very obvious with this simple examination.

For myself, I notice them when I do delicate tasks or when I put my tea cup down - it tremors as I try to put it down in its saucer.

Post-exercise tremors are normal for most people but you should always have tremors checked out of course.

Comment

These normally happen during specific movements too.

For example, doing leg raises my abs tremor with effort as I am doing it.

Or raising my knee up to chest level and lowering it...

Or holding a plank.

My precision however isn't effected.

Comment

I have the tremors constantly but no dr can tell me if it's the ms, fibro,ddd,thyroid, or now the lupus.....

have you been actaully diagnosed with ms tho I was kinda confused by your post, but then again I get confused alot lately lol

Comment

Hi, what you have discribed sounds very similar to what happens to my brothers. They have had the shakes as we call it all their lives, it runs in the family handed down from my mother, but has only effected the boys. My sister and i are tremor free!They have not had a dx for it as they see it as their normal, its just part of who they are, like having brown eyes. It has not effected their lives in any way.

Cheers
              Kathy
              2004 pos/MS 2006 Pos/MS also Pos/Crazy 14/01/2012 here we go againDx RRMS 21/06/2012

Comment

Working...
              X