Hip replacement surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hip replacement surgery

I have had MS for a number of years and I am unable to walk without a walker. The doctor has given me a couple choices due to an almost unbearable painful hip issue - either hip replacement surgery or pain pills and learn to live with it.

All doctors are in somewhat agreement that surgery could go one of two ways - I could lose muscle tone and reduce my walking ability OR it could take away the pain and end up helping my walking. Big decision for me here - to consent to surgery or not???

Have you had any type of hip/knee replacement surgery and what have been your end results?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer me to help make this most difficult decision.

I was waiting to see if any MSers had had the surgery, but since you didn't get any input, I'll just chime in with my husband's experience with hip replacement.

He had a sports injury to one hip, told at 37 to get a hip replacement. He put up with the pain, and physical limitations for 10 years, and then finally had one.

The relief he felt from the pain was very, very significant. He went back to walking normally, being able to participate in things he hadn't been able to for a long time.

The recovery is about 9 weeks, non weight bearing for the first week or so. His surgery was 8 years ago, so I'm sure they've made strides in the procedure since then...although he had no complications, only good results.

And as I said, he's not an MSer, but I do know that he could not tolerate the pain from the hip anymore, and being able to get rid of the pain was really worth the surgery.

His surgeon had told him, get the hip replacement when you can't stand the pain anymore...so that's what he did. I imagine you're in about the same boat, just with the complication of MS added, and I know it's got to be a hard decision.

Comment

I've had a hip replacement due to severe arthritis from a congenital dislocated hip that was never corrected properly. It was suggested that I needed it replaced when I was in my 20's, but I managed to delay it with a lot of anti-inflammatories.

The hip was replaced 4 years prior to my MS diagnosis. I rehabed it mostly by myself, taking my walker to the county pool and walking in the water.

My left leg is much worse per nerve conduction studies, although I can't feel either much below the knees. However, the hip was replaced on my right side and that leg is much weaker than my left.

I had the fully open, invasive hip replacement because of such severe arthritis that not only was it bone on bone but I had compaction of my pelvis. They have minimally invasive hip replacements which may not cut as much muscle and hopefully you can qualify for that.

One hint given to me by a research nurse working on hip and knee replacement of cartilage instead of prostheses: The best surgeon is one who does joint replacements frequently instead of a general ortho surgeon. I had a surgeon who only did hip and knee replacements. I also scheduled mine on a Monday morning first thing (so germs could die down in the OR over the weekend, just in case the housekeepers missed something )

My surgery was in December, and I went dancing on Valentine's Day. I wondered why I wanted to go at the time, but managed a little dancing. My husband put our furniture on blocks so I would not break the plane of my knee lower than my hip, and I had a walk in shower where I placed a bedside commode with the pot out so I could sit down and shower on an adjustable seat high enough for me.

It is easier to recover and rehab a hip than it is for a full knee replacement. Hopefully you can make a decision that will work for you.

Comment

rdmc and Ga dancer - thank you both for your input and tips. I am beginning to think the pain will make the decision for me as harder and harder to walk at all with the pain.

My goal at this point is to hold off until after the holidays and then just jump in and do it - relief from the pain is looking better every day.

Thank you again for the information.

Comment

Working...
        X