Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you take care of yourself when you get sick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you take care of yourself when you get sick?

I didn't know where to place this because my head's all clogged up.

I have a cold or a flu bug, in early stages so I don't know which yet but when I get sick I get more sick than others and it lasts longer. Does this happen to others too I wonder?

I'm taking ColdFX, making my own chicken soup, put oil of oregano into my juice, drink a high vitamin C drink called Ribena which I dilute, tea and then whatever else I feel like drinking.

Is there anything that limbo landers and newly diagnosed people do or take to help make them better? Just curious.

Take care,
    swingingwillow
    Take care,
    swingingwillow
    Limbo lander on hold with a fast busy signal...

Hi swingingwillow~ (I moved your post to general Q and A because all of us get colds - not just limbo landers or newly dx.)

I asked a similar question this past spring and you can view it here: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...t+line+defense

I was able to keep my cold flu at bay, lasting only 3 days. I hope you feel better soon and get some good suggestions from others!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      Hi swingingwillow~ (I moved your post to general Q and A because all of us get colds - not just limbo landers or newly dx.)

I asked a similar question this past spring and you can view it here: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...t+line+defense

I was able to keep my cold flu at bay, lasting only 3 days. I hope you feel better soon and get some good suggestions from others!
      Thanks for placing my posting in the right spot for me!

Take care,
      swingingwillow
      Take care,
      swingingwillow

Comment

I sleep alot! Luckily 2 of my kids are 14 & 12 to so they help out alot. My 14 yr old will cook dinners when I'm really sick and both of my boys will help take care of my 4 yr old. I also try to stay as hydrated as much as possible and after the first 3 days I make myself get up and start moving around even if I don't feel like it. I found the longer I lay around the harder it is for me to finally get moving in the end.

Comment

Serious Effects of Getting Sick for MS-What to know & do

Here's a link to an article I wrote that people with MS and/or other autoimmune diseases need to read. Though you are already sick, there is advise about what to do and what to do, for now and in the future.

http://debbiepetrina.authorsxpress.c...ease-patients/

www.DebbieMS.com

**URL not removed this time by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines because debbiems is a guest chat host, staff for now. **

Comment

As with all things MS (or not), Rest is a great tonic.

Comment

Sleep. Fluids. Drugs.

Comment

The last time I started feeling like I was coming down with something, I broke out the Sambucol and took that for a few days. Then I made a mean green juice consisting of kale, lemon, ginger, apple and celery. Then I slept. All combined, it seemed to kick it right out of me within a couple of days. I then felt triumphant in having some power over illness, which is a rare thing.

It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

My family swears by OTC Zicam (homeopathic)

Directions say to begin use at the first sign of a cold.
                  I have allergies/asthma and even a cold progresses into something more serious.
                  I usually feel great within 3-4 days!
                  Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
                  Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Between my allergies and M.S., it's hard to tell when I'm sick (in the traditional sense). I don't work or go to school anymore so I'm no longer living in the same germ pool I once did. It seems like my immune system is on steroids when any hint of a cold or flu enters my body. It seems that those initial sick-ey feelings go away quite fast (if there is anything good about my immune system that would be it).
                    Tawanda

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their generous replies.

I don't want to jinx it but I'm starting to feel...ok I'm NOT going to say it out loud.

This is a great thread that I'll revisit it at some point again during the fall and winter season as there are so many helpful tips.

The resting and keeping well hydrated were the most useful for me. And then I took ColdFX, tylenol and oil of oregano too.

Take care,
                      swingingwillow
                      Take care,
                      swingingwillow

Comment

I love hearing what works for other people. This week was my second try at beating a bug with the kale juice (I forgot it has spinach, too), and it worked yet again. This time, I also made a batch of sweet potato-ginger-pineapple juice. One day off completely to rest, consumed the juice over the course of two days, no Sambucol this time. I was on steroids, too. I think it worked again.

Glad you're feeling better.
                        It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Working...
                        X