Enough already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough already

Ok, so now I know what depression feels like. Lost my job not due to MS, even though my limited mobility was becoming a concern. Everybody keeps saying its a blessing is disguise, because now I can focus on my health. HELLO, being sick isn't cheap. I am so much in medical debt it is sad, and they keep sending from doctor to doctor. And then last night a rep from SSDI called and denied me saying I can sit on a stool at Walmart and be a greeter. I don't even get to shop at Walmart, because it hurts like hell to get out the bed. And would you want to be greeted by a not so friendly person. After of 22yrs of working, isn't that my money anyway? Being thinking of ways to go on a permanet vacation, that way I don't have to deal with paperwork and non understanding people.
    I never been one to have to depend on others and now I am totally at the mercy of others. Thanks for letting me vent.

Once

I would hire a lawyer and appeal it. Remember just about everyone gets denied the first time. Good luck

Comment

Enough

I'm familiar with the feelings your having. Sometimes things can build up to the point of being overwhelming. The way you say you are feeling I think it's important to talk to someone about it. Friend, family or therapist. Hope you find what you need and keep posting how things are going. DALE
      Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Contacting a disability attorney and appealing is a good solution. However, you still need to be very prepared to assist your attorney in appealing.

I didn't use an attorney to apply for SSDI, and I was approved the first time, in less than 3 months. I spent a LOT of time on my application. I provided:
        • supporting statements from 3 doctors (my PCP, my neurologist, my psychiatrist)
        • stacks and stacks of medical records (including MRI's, ER visits, hospital admissions, regular physician appointments, MS diagnosis, etc) from multiple doctors, again. Including records from a 2-week visit to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN
        • Information regarding 3 job losses in 6 years, all of which were related to MS flares and MS issues.
        • Anything else I could think of.

Perhaps you don't have all of these things to provide, but, think carefully on what information you do have, and be sure to think through how it affects your inability to work). I don't remember, but, perhaps there is a place on the application to explain your ADL's (activities of daily living), and what you are able, and what you are unable to do for yourself, and the assistance that you are using to get those tasks completed that you are unable to do on your own.

Best wishes in your appeal, if that is the direction that you choose to pursue.

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Unemployment ain't no blessing, disguised or otherwise. Me, one huge fan of no win, no pay lawyers. Haven't won yet, haven't paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
            Unemployment ain't no blessing, disguised or otherwise. Me, one huge fan of no win, no pay lawyers. Haven't won yet, haven't paid.

I believe that the federal government regulates how much disability attorneys charge. 25% of your back pay, if you are approved. 25% of $0.00 would be zero, if you are not approved.

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Yes! DO appeal. I'm in Canada so can't advise you on how to proceed, but Mamabug and the others seem to giving you some good advice.

One thing I did learn when dealing with the many hoops I had to jump for her with my own disability insurance (several years ago) was that you have to keep at it, no matter how many roadblocks they try to put in your way.

Best of luck.

Comment

Disabity Lawyers

Most that I have seen advertise don't charge if you don't win.
                I just assumed I would get denied and went to one. We came home from that meeting to find the letter I had been approved
                We didn't have to pay anything. It may be harder now with the economy. I heard it helps if you are over 50 and have worked a lot.
                techie
                Another pirated saying:
                Half of life is if.
                When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                Dogs Rule!

Comment

AS usual...for me my road was not the typical path.

I fought to avoid going on disability. One nurse at the hospital said I had earned it. I was fighting VocRehab who labeled me unemployable and so did the VA. Neither would help me. Back in the 1980s they both assUme'd my neurological issues were caused by my diabetes. 1/4 century later we now know it was NOT my diabetes but MS all a long.

My trying to stay OFF SSDI worked against me. I had to appeal more than once and got a LAWYER before getting approved.

Bottom line GET an ATTORNEY, one that specializes in disability and KNOWS what they are doing.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post

My trying to stay OFF SSDI worked against me. I had to appeal more than once and got a LAWYER before getting approved. ...
                    Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
                    My trying to stay off SSDI may have worked for me, not against me, like Gomer. Every time (and, it happened 3x during the first 6 years of my MS) that I lost a job, I went out and got another one. And, every time, after awhile, I lost that one too. I think my persistence showed that I wasn't just looking for the easy way out. I wanted to work, but, was unable to be successful at it.

~ Faith
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I may b wrong but

I'm under the impression that you will b denied if you wait too long after you stop working and that you must submit at least one new piece of documentation when appealing.

If I'm wrong, someone please respond.
                      Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
                      Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Oncewaskeke- you really need to apply for SSDI with an attorney. I applied on my own first and got denied. I hired an attorney and was denied a 2nd time (as depressing as that is, my lawyer told me it is hugely common these days) the third time I had to go to a hearing and I was approved.

Mamabug is correct. Federal law has a cap on the attorneys fees. 25% of back pay, up to a max of 6000.00. The way I feel about it is I'd rather pay an attorney something and get the money I deserve rather than getting nothing at all.

Leeara - you don't have to give new evidence or documentation after being denied. I was laid off in April 09 and never found a job. Was on unemployment until that ran out, found out I had MS and started the process. I was off work from 09 until 2011 when I started having problems and filed for SSDI in oct of 2011.
                        Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
                        RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
                        Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

My first two applications were denied, and both of the rejections (telling me I wasn't disabled) came on days that were the worst of the worst. I know what you mean about depression--there's plenty of that to begin with, the situation being what it is, but those rejection letters are like slaps in the face by the schoolyard bully.

Everyone is right--do not give up. Each type of disability has about three requirements that you have to meet, and it's good to know what those specific things are so you can really focus the application on how those things are now impossible for you to do. The benefit of using a disability attorney or a disability advocate (the guy I used was an advocate) is they know exactly how to focus in on those requirements. They're kind of like GPS--on our own, we just kind of drive around, but they know the best way to get there.

It sounds like a lot, giving up the percentage they charge for their help when you do get you back pay, but think about it--if you don't get disability at all, how much money are you going to lose? I was all too happy to write that check--my advocate saved me years and years of stress, grief and financial hardship.

As for Walmart greeters, they had to pull all those long lines of heavy carts up from the bay, pull them out one after another for hours on end, go back and forth with the sticker gun for people bringing in returned items, and chase after people who set off the security alarm when they walk out with something they didn't pay for. Yep--that sounds really relaxing, something you can do just sitting on a stool--not!

Plus, Walmart procedures generally apply to all stores, and my local Wally's did away with greeters quite some time ago, so that job doesn't even exist. So if you need employment where you can sit on your butt and not do much of anything, maybe you could ask the SSDI rep if you could have their job
                          Peg

Comment

Originally posted by tejokid View Post

Everyone is right--do not give up. Each type of disability has about three requirements that you have to meet, and it's good to know what those specific things are so you can really focus the application on how those things are now impossible for you to do. The benefit of using a disability attorney or a disability advocate (the guy I used was an advocate) is they know exactly how to focus in on those requirements. They're kind of like GPS--on our own, we just kind of drive around, but they know the best way to get there...
                            I found this part of tejokid's post informative. I thought that, if I knew what "specific things" to really focus on, that would aid in an SSDI application a lot.

So, I did some googling and I came up with this website: http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/soc...sclerosis.html . I found that the whole article had useful information. Even though I was able to obtain SSDI approval on my first try, quickly, and, without the assistance of an attorney, I would've loved to know these specific things while I was filling out my application.

~ Faith
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Great Link!

Mamabug:

That link you provided is absolutely perfectly detailed.

I've already gone through the process and have been
                              getting disability for years...

Those that are having trouble getting approved should
                              certainly read the contents of your link...

Perhaps post it in the Social Security forum as well?
                              ~life has ups and downs...I try to go in circles~
                              dx'd rrms in '97

Comment

Working...
                              X