Tips for getting around a theme park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for getting around a theme park?

I can walk short distances, but traveling around large theme parks is getting really difficult for me. I'm considering renting a wheelchair for a future trip, but not sure how. My insurance won't cover a wheelchair for me. Anyone have experience with this or advice on the best ways to go about it??

I have a wheelchair that I acquired several years ago when I was seriously ill. (not related to the MS) My insurance covered the rental and when we returned the WC to the rental supply company they offered to sell it to us for 100.00. We took them up on the deal. Who knew that it would come in as handy as it has. I can walk short distances and do use a cane - balance issues. I use that chair when attending baseball and football games. Don't want any falls in large crowds. Best 100.00 we have spend in a long time.

We took our grandchildren to Disney last month (they are 2 and 3 - were we CRAZY???). I rented one of those drive it yourself chairs. It worked like a dream.

If you can afford renting one of those I highly suggest that.
    Jacque

dxd August 2011 at age of 65

Comment

Most amusement parks rent wheelchairs, check their websites or call. I know the Disney parks, not only rent wheelchairs, but you can also get a card to go to the front of the line or alternative entrance for those rides that have entrances that are not handicap accessible. I know at Disneyland and Euro-Disney you get the card at city hall after you enter the park, but they can tell you where to get the card, at the stroller/wheelchair rental office just before you enter the park. I don't recall where we got it at California Adventure, but we got a card there, too. It was very easy at Disneyland and California Adventure, but at Euro-Disney, they asked for letter from my doctor.

I didn't have a letter, but I had my Disabled American Veterans card and my Veterans Adminsitration health card and they immediately gave me the card to get to the front of the line.
      On another note, I found out at the end of my trip to Paris, that many pharmacies in Paris will rent wheelchairs for the day. Check out the activeMSers website for alot of information on traveling.

Comment

I got a scooter a few years ago.... I IT!

I can get around and do so much more with it. The one I got is compact, comes apart and fits in my car trunk with room to spare. The heaviest part when broken down is under 30lbs and I can get it in/out by myself no tools etc. I even have a spare battery for extended use/range and a car charger so I can charge a batter on the road.

MY power chair was covered by medicare, as a daily home use need, the scooter was out-of-pocket but got a great price (under $700 delivered.new) on the web. I also have a manual chair I got used from a local St Vincent DePaul about $15 and great condition.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Hi Curly Girl :-) we went to Disney last year, and I booked a scooter through Buenavista (i think that was the company...try ggogle) before we left. They delivered it to our hotel, and picked up afterwards. I recall it was $30 a day...the walking and especially standing in lines is what worried me, and the scooter was perfect. The weight limit allowed me to ride a child on my lap, too, and basket on front was great for carrying all our park loot.

They made so many allowances when they saw me coming, even without a handicap plaque. Most of the parks are handicap accessible, monorail, too, so I just rode it right into the monorail and into lines and they have special spots to leave it once you get the front of the line. I booked it ahead, because I had heard park scooters go quickly, and frankly were twice the cost. Good luck and have fun! Marleigh

Comment

Since M.S., I hate theme parks with a passion. Unfortunately, my DD LOVES them with just as much of a passion!! The indoor waterparks work the best for me (Co-co Keys, Great Wolf Lodge), especially if you rent a hotel room!

I had a rough time last summer at 6 flags of New England. Again, the waterpark side of the park did work out the best for me, especially since there was not one piece of shade in the entire place (maybe on purpose so you have to buy drinks and ice cream at enormous prices as you are a captive audience)! The other problem was there was not one available chair to sit in as it was so crowded. As for people with W/Cs and scooters, I didn't even see any...not much area to "park".

A lot depends on the park. Is it off season so you can stake out a chair and not worry about spending the day waiting in lines? Do they have "quick passes" so you can avoid waiting hours in long lines with the sun beating on your head (a baseball cat is always good if they have cubbies you can put them in at the end of the line so they don't blow off your head on a ride!).

Personally, I hate giving into my M.S.for any reason, and usually I am stubborn enough to suck it up and take the suffering to throwing in the towel (and disappointing my family). However, when it comes to these outdoor amusement parks, I think I've about had it. The noise level alone is enough to drive me to drink!

My hat goes off to you...GOOD LUCK!!!! Go with a better attitude than I do, OK? LOL!!
            Tawanda

Comment

I just returned from 4 days in Disney. This was the first time I knew I couldn't do the walking, so I rented a scooter from Apple. They charge about $30 per day, and a representative of the company met me at my hotel to show me how to use it. At the end of the trip I just left it with Bell Services. It really was a pleasure not to be a drag on the rest of my group. Also, Disney employees couldn't be more accomodating, especially the bus drivers. This was a very big deal for me emotionally, however it beats the alternative, which would be not going at all. The private rentals are much cheaper than Disney scooters, and also better scooters. Go for it and enjoy!
              Carole
              diagnosed 10/25/11

Comment

Working...
              X