Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will exercise help with the fatigue from an exacerbation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will exercise help with the fatigue from an exacerbation?

Has anyone tried exercising during a flare up? Did it help with the fatigue?

I'm so upset because just a few weeks ago I was feeling wonderful. I've lost 75 lbs since 2008 and 40 since February, I've been working out, eating healthy, and was feeling healthier than I have in years.

Now I feel so weak I can barely move and I'm having bad hand pain. I finally figured out it was a flare up of whatever it is that I have (been in limbo for six years.) I noticed it started this past week when I went to my water aerobics class and almost couldn't get out of the pool because I was so exhausted!

Right now, just trying to type is exhausting. But I feel like I need to get moving so I don't lose my momentum. (I've already gained 4 pounds this week!) Will working out help with the fatigue? Or should I just go with it and rest?
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

advice

I just asked my former personal trainer about this. I lift weights and do cardio six days a week. After I found out I had MS and was discharged from the hospital I felt terrible. I was so dizzy in the gym and had to go back to baby weights. My trainer told me to come every other day for a week and cut back 150 calories on the days I stayed home.
    Sometimes our bodies do need a break. And interestingly, when I was in the hospital for five days I lost three pounds which is crazy cause I still ate every 3 hours like I do at home.

So I've had crushing fatigue since I was diagnosed at the end of August. I've exercised all throughout. Now I'm back in gym shape. I've been taking those supplement you recommended for about two weeks. I think it helped take the edge off the fatigue.
    What kind of exercise are you doing? Maybe you should just walk for now.
    I would also suggest an app like LoseIt! if you have a smartphone. If not you can use LoseIt.com on a pc. It takes all the guess work out of weight loss. You type in your weight goal, your present weight, height, and how much weight you want to lose. Weight loss is simple math you won't gain if you take in less than you expend. You also type in any exercise that you are doing.

HTH!
    Karen
    Karen,
    Part time Registered Nurse
    Diagnosed 2012 just started Gilenya Jan. 12th, 2015. Formerly on Betaseron for two yrs

Comment

Originally posted by MsGymRat View Post
      I just asked my former personal trainer about this. I lift weights and do cardio six days a week. After I found out I had MS and was discharged from the hospital I felt terrible. I was so dizzy in the gym and had to go back to baby weights. My trainer told me to come every other day for a week and cut back 150 calories on the days I stayed home.
      Sometimes our bodies do need a break. And interestingly, when I was in the hospital for five days I lost three pounds which is crazy cause I still ate every 3 hours like I do at home.

So I've had crushing fatigue since I was diagnosed at the end of August. I've exercised all throughout. Now I'm back in gym shape. I've been taking those supplement you recommended for about two weeks. I think it helped take the edge off the fatigue.
      What kind of exercise are you doing? Maybe you should just walk for now.
      I would also suggest an app like LoseIt! if you have a smartphone. If not you can use LoseIt.com on a pc. It takes all the guess work out of weight loss. You type in your weight goal, your present weight, height, and how much weight you want to lose. Weight loss is simple math you won't gain if you take in less than you expend. You also type in any exercise that you are doing.

HTH!
      Karen
      Thanks, Karen. I've been doing water aerobics for an hour two to three times a week, I've been walking on the treadmill and riding on the exercise bike for an hour once or twice a week, then doing strength training too. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped all but the water aerobics because of a board exam I was studying for, and I haven't gotten back to it yet. I'm just doing the water aerobics, but I only went once this week, and like I mentioned, I was so fatigued that just ten minutes into the class, I was exhausted, which isn't like me at all. I'll try to get more active, but right now, even with the supplements, I can barely move!

I use a website called SparkPeople that another member here recommended and it's great. It lets me track my calorie and nutrient intake, my workouts, my weight and other measurements, and there are recipes and support forums too. I couldn't have come this far without it.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Sorry to hear you're having a flare. It happened to me, too, about the same time. I think it was a big hike above and beyond my typical abilities that triggered it.

It really slowed me down on the fitness routine, but I'm still going on days that I feel better. I just cut back to a one mile walk instead of 2 or 3, and once or twice a week instead of 3. I also do the cardio fitness routine (my PT exercises, core work, super easy, and 20 minutes of weights and cardio) a few times a week, but have cut those out for now, except maybe once or twice.

One thing I've read recently about fitness is that however much time you take off completely (doing nothing), it takes that long to get back to where you left off. However, even if you do minimal exercise (10 minutes a couple of times a day), you don't lose any and can maintain your level of fitness.

I do like to sleep on my worst days, but even if I have a little energy, I'll put off doing some chores around the house in exchange for a little workout now. I can always ask for help with the chores. Nobody can workout my body but me. Right? Plus, that dirt isn't going anywhere! My strength will, though!

Hope your flare clears up soon.
        It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Oh, and exercise never helped with my fatigue during a flare up. It tires me out even when I'm not having a flare up. I have energy the first few hours, but then have to take a nap later in the day.
          It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

I'd ask for some professional opinions before you commit to anything.

Its possible it isn't MS. You've lost a lot of weight, that may be what's making you tired now.

Its possible it is something related to MS. If its fatigue, ramping up your exercise level isn't going to help things.

Comment

just a suggestion if the water is warm this could be putting you in a pseudoexcerbation i would skip the aerobics for a while even the heat of the pool room gets me sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by smashms View Post
                just a suggestion if the water is warm this could be putting you in a pseudoexcerbation i would skip the aerobics for a while even the heat of the pool room gets me sometimes.
                I thought of that too, but usually pseudoexacerbations let up after a few hours and this has continued on for a week now. I usually get an exacerbation in October. It's a bit late this year, I guess.

I'm going back to water aerobics class tomorrow. I'm not going to let this things win. I've got to keep myself fit somehow and the water aerobics is easier on me. I haven't done the treadmill and exercise bike in several weeks. I may wait on those for awhile, because I definitely get overheated. I just hope this thing hurries up and gets itself out of my system. I don't have time for this!

Comment

Working...
                X