neuropsychiatrist ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neuropsychiatrist ?

hey all.. my neuro is sending me to a neuropsych on monday for testing.. i am not sure what all this means.. have any of you ever been to a neuropsych?

thanks in advance

I've taken the neuro psych evaluation 10yrs ago and again 5yrs ago. It was one of the best things I've done MS-wise. The results established my cognitive base line, and also helped with my MS dx, and that my cognitive problems were medically based and more than anecdotal.

The test took 6-7 hrs over 2 consecutive days.

One test was facial recognition via flash cards.

Another involved a number of plastic blocks, half of each block was red, the other half white, in a variety of geometric shapes. The objective was to assemble the blocks in paterns to match a printed image of the blocks.

Another involved a sheet of paper, half the sheet was blank the other half with printed figures. Using a pencil I was asked to reproduce the image on the blank side of the sheet.

My second neuro psych test also included simple math problems.

It is a great tool to document your neuro cognitive status and plan cognitive re-training.

Comment

I just went, again. It is no big deal really. They just ask you lots of questions, play a couple of games with you. Have you draw a few pictures etc. It is all to assess your baseline or where you are right now in terms of cognitive functioning.

Every test is different, but for MS they are timed. Just try to relax and if you get tired let them know you need a break. That is the biggest tip I can give.

Good luck and no worries.
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

First of all, do not worry as it is just testing to see what has changed if at all, due to your MS. They test folks for dementia or brain trauma too. But want to clear up they are NOT psychiatrists but psychologists. They are NOT MDs (psychiatrists) who can RX meds. They are psychologists who have specific training for testing and evaluating. It is not a 100% science, but does offer your IQ and other cognitive baslines.

Yes the first one is a day long one. Mine was about 6 hours with an hour off for lunch. The second one was only 4 hours, thank goodness. They do a lot of test for memory and problem solving, IQ and other things. Found out just from this tapping device that I have SEVERE motor damage with fine motor skills in both hands. Who knew? And I have slight or mild cog deficits with problem solving in the executive functioning part of brain, and some memory deficit, but not severe.

They also will do an interview so have a list of symptoms, frequency, duration as that is helpful to them. Know your medical history and if it is written down=very helpful.

I did not like the first psychologist who interpreting things so wrongly (see not 100% accurate). My primary doc disagreed too. BUT the 2nd tester was wonderful and understood my rare kidney disorder AND MS etc. She was sweet, caring and informative. She also gave me some pointers to help my memory.

Seems my memory is not as bad, but my attention and focus is not good. I also have "black outs" but not sure what is causing this. I have several diseases/disorders that all play off one another, complicating my life for sure! She seemed to get that! Yeah!

Good luck and do not worry. It is confirmation that yes, we who have MS, have cog difficulties that are measurable somewhat now with this testing.

Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

thanks guys !! i guess i was just concerned because i am on short term right now, and i don't feel like i am ready to go back to work yet. that's when my neuro said i had to do the testing. it almost felt like she didn't believe me when i said i wasn't ready and wanted proof or something. i don't know if these tests can "prove" or not if i'm ready, but i know i'm not yet.

Comment

After none has had one

neuropysch exam, how many years later is the next one generally ordered?

Comment

Aha! Well, you know yourself the best right?
              Keep track of what you can and cannot do as well, esp as it affects your job. Can you list areas where this would apply to your job as a deficit? For example, my 2nd tester, pointed out that I have difficulty following directions if given more than 1-2. I have difficulty following through and multi tasking when I used to be exemplary at that!

Things like that keep me from working.. along with the black outs and what I do during them WHILE working is what got me automatically towards LT disability and soc security disability now.

Good luck and fight for yourself! It helps to have someone say you cannot function at your job. My own primary sat me down and convinced me that cont to work only make my illnesses worse. SHE got me SSDI when no other doc would.

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                First of all, do not worry as it is just testing to see what has changed if at all, due to your MS. They test folks for dementia or brain trauma too. But want to clear up they are NOT psychiatrists but psychologists. They are NOT MDs (psychiatrists) who can RX meds. They are psychologists who have specific training for testing and evaluating. It is not a 100% science, but does offer your IQ and other cognitive baslines.

Yes the first one is a day long one. Mine was about 6 hours with an hour off for lunch. The second one was only 4 hours, thank goodness. They do a lot of test for memory and problem solving, IQ and other things. Found out just from this tapping device that I have SEVERE motor damage with fine motor skills in both hands. Who knew? And I have slight or mild cog deficits with problem solving in the executive functioning part of brain, and some memory deficit, but not severe.

They also will do an interview so have a list of symptoms, frequency, duration as that is helpful to them. Know your medical history and if it is written down=very helpful.

I did not like the first psychologist who interpreting things so wrongly (see not 100% accurate). My primary doc disagreed too. BUT the 2nd tester was wonderful and understood my rare kidney disorder AND MS etc. She was sweet, caring and informative. She also gave me some pointers to help my memory.

Seems my memory is not as bad, but my attention and focus is not good. I also have "black outs" but not sure what is causing this. I have several diseases/disorders that all play off one another, complicating my life for sure! She seemed to get that! Yeah!

Good luck and do not worry. It is confirmation that yes, we who have MS, have cog difficulties that are measurable somewhat now with this testing.

Jan
                Actually, it depends on who you go to, why you were referred. Wayyy back 20 years ago when my mother in law was trying to get her disability pension, they sent her to a neuropsych - this was an actual neuropsychatrist (otherwise they would use the name neuropsychologist), and he diagnosed her as medication induced bipolar - a diagnosis I agree with, but she refused to accept.
                Diagnosis: May, 2008
                Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
                  neuropysch exam, how many years later is the next one generally ordered?
                  That DEPENDS on your symptoms and your neuro who has to order this evaluation. If you are not having any cognitive signs then, maybe not.

But I was told they need a baseline and then cont to compare that with future evals. I was showing more deficits so mine was closer (by 2 years) when it should've been in the next year per my neuro.

I believe in miracles~!

Comment

This is exactly the post I was looking for. My neuro, out of no where, said that I was having trouble focusing and that he wants to do an EEG, but will likely put me on stimulants.

He called it a dementia but not alzheimers as he said it was different. Mostly, he talked about focusing/memory issues. I had the impression it had something to do with the temporal lobe, area.

Anyone else on stimulants for this? What med if you are? How does and EEG show anything? Should I have a neurophysic eval? There a psychiatrits at our local mental health. The neuro didn't mention doing this.
                    What if trials of this life
                    Are Your mercies in disguise?
                    "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

recall

They also will most likely do memory recall. They will read a story and have you recall the story. Both of mine had this.

My job includes higher level math and science so this was applied to the testing also. My original one was done for accomidations at my Masters program. They adapted the test to this level for my testing.

The second one was done for vocational rehab. They wanted to know if I was a good investment for helping pay for finishing my Masters. Would I be able to complete the tasks for schooling and would I be able to retain it.

They also both put me at the computer and they checked my speed response.

As the others said, relax. Just listen to the doc.. Tell them if you do not know the answer or can not do it. Or if you need a break. The second one, I needed much more breaks mentally and physically. It made my head hurt. Almost like nerve pain, but the psychiatrist reminded me that there was no sensory neurons in the brain. I told him I knew that, but, was just telling him how it felt.
                      God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

NeuroPsych exams are kinda fun actually.

I did one about 3 years ago to identify accommodations at college. What was great is that the testing identified a learning disability I didn't know I had.

So aside from gathering a cognitive baseline, it can reveal other things you might not expect that can assist you in other areas of life.
                        “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
                        ~ Mark Twain . . .Or a typo on the Internet. Srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lendi View Post
                          This is exactly the post I was looking for. My neuro, out of no where, said that I was having trouble focusing and that he wants to do an EEG, but will likely put me on stimulants.

He called it a dementia but not alzheimers as he said it was different. Mostly, he talked about focusing/memory issues. I had the impression it had something to do with the temporal lobe, area.

Anyone else on stimulants for this? What med if you are? How does and EEG show anything? Should I have a neurophysic eval? There a psychiatrits at our local mental health. The neuro didn't mention doing this.
                          I take adderall. My neuro prescribed it after other meds failed to help w/ my fatique. Later on, I noticed my inability to focus & complete tasks on days I didn't take it. You don't have to see a psychiatrist or psychologist for it to be prescribed, but it sounds like from the comments above that a baseline eval may be beneficial!

Comment

Working...
                          X