Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall

Tuesday, I was getting out of the shower. Normally, I hold on the towel bar as I get out, but was preoccupied, and didn't. I lost my balance as I was bringing my second foot out. I managed to get my foot down, but by then it was too late. Twisted my knee, hit my leg on the side of the tub in a couple places, and then I went down, my side landing on the tub. I was "okay" sort of the rest of the day, but Wednesday I hurt so bad I ended up in the ER, just for them to tell me to take my normal meds, bump my ibuprofen up to 800 mgs, etc., and put on, essentially, bed rest until I felt better. I felt better yesterday - the pain in my side was almost gone, but my "normal" pain in my back and shoulder were worse, but then I spent too much time sitting up, and by bedtime I was ready to cry again.

Now, I don't KNOW the loss of balance was from the MS, but it spooked me. Enough that I was too spooked to shower until today, and only if hubby showered with me (we have a double headed shower).
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

I understand. I have taken 3 or 4 falls in the last couple of years. I always explain them away by saying I tripped over something or some other reason. Probubly wasn't really the case but this way I can keep my head in the sand a little longer. Ha-Ha.
    Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

I'm sorry about your fall. My DH installed some grab bars in the shower for me! They have prevented me from falling LOTS of times!

Sara

Comment

Tub mat?

Do you use a mat in your tub? One of those with suction cups. That can help with slipping. We have one in our shower only.
        And one to put down in our tub if someone is taking a shower there.
        techie
        Another pirated saying:
        Half of life is if.
        When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
        Dogs Rule!

Comment

My shower has a mat and TWO grab bars, not wimpy towel bars. I also have a rug and if needed a towel down just outside the shower to avoid (ok TRY) falls.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Totally agree with all the advice about grab bars, etc.

I used to use a tub before we had a walk in shower. I noticed you said you fell getting out of the shower. Here's what I learned from " the school of hard knocks" (pun intended).

Getting into the shower, no problem...getting out of the shower a whole different ball game. Maybe because of the effects of heat, maybe fatigue, but my solution was to get a shower chair, and after the shower, sit there till my body cooled off a bit and then get out of the tub.

You can experiment and find out if you're being affected by raising your leg (knee bent) before you start the shower, then doing the action immediately after the shower. for me the difference was significant, but if I sat down, cooled off and rested for 5 or so minutes, getting out of the tub was much easier.

Totally empathize with not "trusting" your body once you've had a fall.

Hang in there !

Comment

We have the shower mat, and a floor mat outside the tub, but this wasn't about slipping. This was plain lost my balance, while OUTSIDE the shower, and standing on the bathmat. You know the kind I'm talking about - when you feel your balance going and your arms kind of wave about trying to get it back, to no avail.

I optimistically thought I was "better", but after spending just a couple hours on the computer researching some way back family tree stuff, I was near tears again, and hubby ordered me out of the den for the rest of the day/night yesterday. He even threatened me with not letting me go to my son's final marching band competition of high school today if I'm not feeling better - the hour drive and sitting on the bleachers won't be good on my back. But I'm determined to go, to be there for my son's last competition.

Comment

You go Gomer. He is a walking medical book.

He said everything and he has lots of experience. I have a hard time learning from him. I keep making the same mistakes over and over thinking it won't happen to me. But I have been investing in safer equipment since meeting him.
                Dave
                "Journeyman"

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
                  My shower has a mat and TWO grab bars, not wimpy towel bars. I also have a rug and if needed a towel down just outside the shower to avoid (ok TRY) falls.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
                  Yeah, the towel bar is pretty wimpy, but it's there, and we can't afford to get any grab bars added on. I would love to be able to afford to convert to a walk in shower/tub like my in laws have in one of their bathrooms, but on my income, it's not feasible - plus, we rent this house from my in laws. And we would probably lose the double shower heads if we did that. Truthfully, having those saves a LOT of time on the showering time scale, since hubby and I can jump in together.....plus, then I know hubby won't steal all the hot water when it's cold out.

Comment

My biggest fear! I got a shower seat and use it if I feel off balance or if my husband leaves for work before I shower. I never want my son to have to help me if I fall in the shower! I am afraid I will scar him for life if he has to help me up from a shower fall.

Prevention is worth an ounce of cure or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X