Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for fatigue

Hello guys! I am new here

I am a 32 yrs old woman who was diagnosed with MS last May. I started Copaxone as a treatment.

My main problem/symptom is feeling so tired all the time. I feel sluggish, with no energy. I was wondering if any of you had some tips to give me on how to deal with this? Do you manage your schedule in a special way? Do you take anything to make you more energetic? My neuro suggested starting exercising, but it's hard to imagine going for a walk when Im so tired...

Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,

MissDaisynou xxx

Of course, everyone's fatigue is different. Sometimes I tell myself to act as if I didn't have it. That means yesterday when I felt like going to bed, I made lunches. Why? I spent the whole day in bed on Saturday and since it didn't make a terrible difference, I decided to power though.

I do exercise vigorously every other day and I do feel energy the next day. You should really try to exercise and build up. Exercise helps with everything; fatigue, spasiticity, weakness - it's good for your general health and for averting/relieving constipation. It also may be neuroprotective and help to slow the disease.

Give it a try.

Comment

fatique

exercise and accupuncture. has done wonders for my husband

Comment

Exercise (the most frequently suggested remedy)

Originally posted by MissDaisynou View Post
        Hello guys! I am new here

I am a 32 yrs old woman who was diagnosed with MS last May. I started Copaxone as a treatment.

My main problem/symptom is feeling so tired all the time. I feel sluggish, with no energy. I was wondering if any of you had some tips to give me on how to deal with this? Do you manage your schedule in a special way? Do you take anything to make you more energetic? My neuro suggested starting exercising, but it's hard to imagine going for a walk when Im so tired...

Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,

MissDaisynou xxx
        Miss Daisy, boy don't I know what you mean. I'm 67, so add MS to natural aging and it's not fun.

I'd have to agree that the fatigue and lack of energy that comes with the dx of ms, makes life hard. Fatigue is my #1 problem and oddly, no matter how tired I am during the day, I can't go to sleep normally and then when I do (in the wee hours) I can't get up! Geez... so frustrating.

My neuro and family doc always say to walk! Sure, only my balance is lousy and I've fallen several times. I broke my fibula (bone on side of leg) right where it joins the ankle (snapped the edge right off). Our neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks so you have to walk in the road which is a bit uneven; then there are the hills. If I make it up one I'm usually too tired to keep going. My legs are like rubber bands.

Anyway, the only advice I have is to find something, like a stationery bike, or whatever you feel comfortable on. I'm not sure in my case the excercise would help, but at your age it might keep you from gaining weight and who knows...might help with the fatigue.

Personally, I think the fatigue of MS is not necessarily something that will respond to exercise, but who knows. What works for one or doesn't work for one, might be the answer for another.

Diane
        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Oops; forgot.

Ms Daisy, I take Nuvigil, which helps keep me awake. Nuvigil is the next generation drug from Provigil. Either might help.

Diane
          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Thanks!! What kind of exercices do you suggest??

Comment

I really like the MS yoga video and you can get it free right now from MS world.

Comment

Thanks!! What kind of exercices do you suggest??
                Whatever you like, can do and will do regularly. For some it's walking for some swimming and even for some running. It just needs to get your heart pumping. So you can start walking and build. Never try too hard, but do work at it.

I started on the elliptical at 10, then 15 and now 30 mins every other day and I've stuck with it.

There's a woman who has terrible problems. Every day she swims in the pool at our ymca. She gets lifted from her wheelchair and given a lane to herself where she becomes a swan.

Comment

Exercise is good, just learn how to quit while you're ahead.
                  If you try to push it too far, you won't build or tone like the old days. Fatigue won't let that happen, you'll just feel really wiped out for several days.

Keep it gradual at first, really ease into whatever routine you want to try. Get to know the signals the ol' bod is sending you, once you start to feel tired don't expect a second wind. Take it from someone who attended The Fatigue School of Hard Knocks, learn how to exercise smart. You may be able to increase your workout but its equally possible you may have to just stick with what works or even slow down over time. It all depends on what your MS is doing.

You should also talk to your Neuro about fatigue as a side effect of MS. There are several (many?) meds you can take that will really knock back the effects of fatigue, from mild to strong, but let the Doc make that call. I'd advise finding the right med before you get into an exercise routine, just so you aren't chasing too many variables.

So, definatly try to stay in motion. Do what you can but don't over-do it.

Comment

Stationary bike

I use- (used) a stationary bike. I would get up and do between 3 and 5 miles every other day. I thought this helped with fatigue, but also with spasticity and weight and just mentally making feel like I was doing something.

Lately though, my fatigue has been so heavy that I have not been doing the bike. It seemed that if I did it in the morning, I would run out of energy around noon.

If I wait until after work to bike- it just doesn't get done once I sit down.

I have tried Amantadine for years, Provigil and Nuvigil- and huge amounts of caffeine.

We live out in the country on a farm and I love to be outside. It is comical because I will head out on a walk enjoying my surroundings and not think about how far I am getting from home. Invariably, my husband has needed to come and find me with a truck or a 4 wheeler

If my neighbors are out, they ask if I have thought about going back yet or if I need a ride. I have several that will just come along with me.

I would like to try swimming, but that too would need to be after work so...

Big A- I felt your description of the lady in the pool was thoughtful and beautiful.

I have a dear friend with MS that swims twice a week. She is quite advanced in her disease and needs to live in a nursing home with lots of assistance. She greatly enjoys swimming and now I will think of her as a swan.

Thank you and Take Care

Comment

There are two antioxidant supplements that many people here have had success with in treating fatigue (including me.) The supplements are alpha lipoic acid and acetyl L-carnitine. Do a search for them here, and you'll find a lot of great information. (I'd tell you more, but I'm running late for work!)
                      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Hello Shashi!! I just found the supplements today. The Acetyl L-Carnitine comes in 500mg pill so I took 2 and the Alpha Lipoic Acid comes in 150mg pill so I took 2 as well. Do you think that works? Should I take them at a specific time? I will check with my doc because I also take other meds so I want to make sure I can take them together. But my neuro said to give it a try! LEt me know what you think!

Comment

Hello Shashi!! I just found the supplements today. The Acetyl L-Carnitine comes in 500mg pill so I took 2 and the Alpha Lipoic Acid comes in 150mg pill so I took 2 as well. Do you think that works? Should I take them at a specific time? I will check with my doc because I also take other meds so I want to make sure I can take them together. But my neuro said to give it a try! LEt me know what you think!
                          That should work find, MissDaisynou. You want to take the supplements all at once when you first get up for best results. Good luck. I hope they work as good for you as they have for me and others. (They can take up to a month to work, so don't give up if you don't see immediate results.)
                          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

@ sashi , I don't know if you have a King Soopers or not but I just found both supplements together in one capsule for 15$ there. It's only 400mg acetyl and 200mg alpha but it could save people some money

Comment

I started taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Alpha-Lipoic-Acid about a month and a half ago after I saw a thread here. I asked my doctor and he said it was ok. I found both supplements together at GNC. I felt the difference right away. I attribute it to it since it was the only new thing I did. As i was diagnosed a year ago I am still listening to my body and adjusting. My main symptoms are balance, fatigue and spasticity.

Comment

Working...
                              X