C-spine/brainstem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C-spine/brainstem....

EMG picked up abnormalty in my neck yesterday. Dr is ordering c-spine MRI.

I'm not dx with MS, but have symptoms that could be. All of my symptoms could be related to brain stem lesions. Question for anyone who may know......can a c-spine MRI pick up the brainstem? Dr said it's very unlikely to be MS due to prior negative MRIs and neuro exams.

Facial burning would come from brainstem...dizziness and hearing loss as well. If this MRI can pick up brainstem....I would feel much better.

it may not...?

The MRI for the C-Spine, or Cervical spine attaches to the brainstem in the center bottom of the brain, but the MRIs I had on my C-Spine were just of the neck, my brain MRI is what covered my brainstem. I may be mistaken but I think the brainstem shows on a brain MRI, as the top of the 7 cervical vertebraes reach the base of the skull.

If I am incorrect, then I'd like to be 'educated' on this myself!
    Possible MS 1993, RRMS, Dx 2007, SPMS 2013. Avonex - Oct '07 - Jul '12, Gilenya - Sept '12 to May '13, Tecfidera - June '13 to present. You see things as they are and you ask why..I dream of things that never were and I ask 'Why Not?!'

Comment

It will not
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

ugghhh

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
        It will not
        Well crud!!! Thanks.

Comment

symptoms?

Hi, Sorry your having all those problems but I have all three of your symptons, Burning face,dizziness and loss of hearing but I was told that I do not have any brain stem lesions. I hope you get some answers and relief and I will be very interested in your test results. Peace
          Tortis

Comment

my MRI did. not all of it, granted, but some of the brainstem was visible and commented on in my Cspine MRI. if the brainstem is what you are most concerned about though talk to your doctor and explain that to him. if you are having symptoms it should not be hard for him/her to justify to insurance a need for it.
            dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

Originally posted by meeegun View Post
              my MRI did. not all of it, granted, but some of the brainstem was visible and commented on in my Cspine MRI. if the brainstem is what you are most concerned about though talk to your doctor and explain that to him. if you are having symptoms it should not be hard for him/her to justify to insurance a need for it.
              Meegun is right: But to get a clear picture of your brainstem, which is a very sensitive area, many many slices need to be done on a head MRI.

So listen to her advice and talk with them about your symptoms first. Some may come from C-spine lesions, especially high ones. From your neuro exam, he may have gotten that, but even lhermitte's sign can come from a brainstem lesion..I know, I have them.

It is a tough call, but might as well get them both knocked out if possible at the same time. Call your neuro and ask him about it.
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

MRI

Insurance denied brain MRI. Neuro does not suspect MS at all. Had last MRI in 2005 that was clear, and a couple of clear ones years prior to that. Exam is normal.

Not sure why I feel this way.

Comment

Working...
                X