No announcement yet.

Is MS an autoimmune disease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well as many have said. The current belief is that MS is an autoimmune disease. My Neuro said when I was first diagnosed that people with MS tend to not get as many colds. He says that the immune system is "hyped up" for people with MS and they tend to not get as many colds and things of that nature.

Comment

I'm on COpaxone, which acts as a "myelin decoy" in our blood, when the immune system is looking for something to attack, it attacks the decoy rather than the myelin.

I don't think this, or my MS, has contributed to not getting sick despite not getting flu shots, having 6 germy kids, living in a Country where we're "boxed in" with everyone's germs for at least half the year, etc. Either I'm very lucky or my constant hand washing is paying off!
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I'm around it often.. Just last month my husband and kids had a bad cold. I didn't get sick, so I think at least for me its a valid observation. I have had very little viruses and have children that bring something home from school from time to time.
        limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

BigA - I posted the blurb that the Lancet posted for the study but you have to pay for the entire study. I looked all over to see if I could find a free copy but couldn't find any.

So I can only go by the what they posted regarding what the study was & what the outcome was.
          Diagnosed: May 2012
          Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
          Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Working...
          X