Cane taken away during air travel - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cane taken away during air travel - please help

Hello. The last four times I have flown on a domestic (US) flight, the flightcrew has insisted that while we are in flight my cane must be stored in the overhead bin. I fully understand that and don't have a problem with it. However, when I have asked a flight attendant to retrieve it for me while in flight so that I may get to the restroom, I have been told that I may not have it until we are on the ground. Because of this, I have been forced to stay in my seat until we land. Does anyone else encounter this problem, or have a possible solution? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks so much!
    Holly

Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner.
    - The Replacements

I've only flown once since I've been using a cane and was surprised when they put it up. Luckily I was sitting in the bulkhead and was 6 feet from the washroom. I was able to "wall walk" to get into the bathroom and it was so tight I couldn't fall over. I really didn't enjoy flying this last trip due to my condition. It's such a hassle...

Comment

Have you always flown with the same airline?

I couldn't really find anything regarding laws that require you to not use these items on board. I did find on US Airways that they say on planes carrying more than 100 seats they have room for one typical adult-sided folding, collapsible or break-down manual wheelchair, cane, crutches or walker in the cabin’s priority stowage space. It also stated that passengers canes are usually stowed by the passenger in their seat as room avails.

This leads me to believe that it's an airline policy. If it was this airline you flew with, I would contact them regarding the treatment you received.

The next time you fly, call the airline & ask them specifically what the policy is for these cases. Also, ask if a collapsible cane is better. These pose as less of a threat and could be folded up to slide in the pocket in front of you or in your purse. Once off the plane, you could switch to your regular cane.
      Diagnosed: May 2012
      Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
      Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Originally posted by chgoin View Post
        I've only flown once since I've been using a cane and was surprised when they put it up. Luckily I was sitting in the bulkhead and was 6 feet from the washroom. I was able to "wall walk" to get into the bathroom and it was so tight I couldn't fall over. I really didn't enjoy flying this last trip due to my condition. It's such a hassle...
        Hassle, indeed.

What you did might very well work for me. How do I get a bulkhead seat, or prove that I qualify for one? Might the same people who take my cane away also take a bulkhead seat away from me if someone with more money or a perks club membership asks for it? I don't look ill and am not very big, so I wouldn't think the casual observer would recognize me as someone who required priority seating (they certainly don't on busses or trains )
        Holly

- The Replacements

Comment

Thanks, Westgrl

Ahhh, the old "folding cane in the seat pocket" trick! I love it! I don't usually carry a purse or other sort of bag so stowing it in the seat pocket would be perfect.

I mostly only fly nowadays to visit my parents whose local airport is served only by Delta. I've flown to other destinations previously on American, KLM, and Air Malta with my cane and was always allowed to use it in flight. It really does seem to a problem specific to Delta. Thanks for helping me realize that - I will be sure to call them before my next trip.
          Holly

- The Replacements

Comment

"How do I get a bulkhead seat, or prove that I qualify for one? Might the same people who take my cane away also take a bulkhead seat away from me if someone with more money or a perks club membership asks for it?"

Bulkhead seats are usually offered first to families with infants/toddlers then to extra $ guests and lastly to frequent fliers. However the last say on these seats always goes to the on board flight attendant. I have had them ask me to surrender a bulkhead or exit row seat. Fortunately my surrender scored me a first class upgrade.

Comment

I recently flew to LA and was able to keep my cane with me at all times. I was never asked to store it in an overhead bin. I guess I can understand storing it an overhead bin but not letting you use it when needed I do not understand.

I wonder if it is different by airline? I flew American Airlines the whole way there and home.
              Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
              Babe Ruth

Comment

cane harassment

You know if they do that to me the next time I fly I think I will probable have to take a 'MonSter' fall and yell lawsuit and make a big scene. LOL, my poor wife has to put up with me. Hope everyone is well today. Peace
                Tortis

Comment

I've never taken a cane on board. I always do the wall-grab/clutch the back of the seats thing and it works just fine. I think the bulkhead thing sounds like a great idea.
                  Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

The last time I flew, I had no problem keeping my cane.

Comment

ADA

I would think there would be an ADA regulation against that!
                      RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Maybe the airlines was thinking is that items tend to shift during flight and they were being cautious about a carry-on falling out and hitting someone in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by marybenes View Post
                          Maybe the airlines was thinking is that items tend to shift during flight and they were being cautious about a carry-on falling out and hitting someone in the head.
                          Last flight I was on they put my cane in the overhead bin right before they closed it. When we landed and people were opening up the bins, out came my cane first and did hit someone in the head!!! I always get a window seat and it seems to me it would have been safer tucked beside me against the wall. I'm flying tomorrow again- we'll see what happens!
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                            I always get a window seat and it seems to me it would have been safer tucked beside me against the wall.
                            On Air Malta that is where I've been told to put my cane and it worked perfectly for everyone involved. I've only gotten away with that a few times on Delta flights though. I keep trying it anyway.
                            Holly

- The Replacements

Comment

Bulkhead seats

I fly Delta frequently, but don't often have a cane with me, but I do wear my AFO brace.

New policy...if you request wheelchair assistance, they won't let you choose a seat in an exit row (frequently a bulkhead seat).

If you call them right after you book your flight and choose a seat and explain that you need room for your leg (in my case I tell them about the brace) and they always honor that. Good luck!
                              Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                              Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                              Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Working...
                              X