colonoscopy reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

colonoscopy reaction

Had a colonoscopy three weeks ago. The procedure went fine and I was awake all the time and could even feel some pain around the "turn", so the anesthesia wasn't very strong. I felt good afterward and even stopped for a quick lunch.
    The next day, my legs began hurting with sharp spasms. While I could usually walk a little around the house, or maybe the manual chair, I now had to use the power chair all the time. I also becames fatigued and sleepy quickly. I fell asleep in my lazy boy and had to be helped to bed. I have never fallen asleep in the chair before and I'm 72.
    While it certainly more than a flare, I was wondering if anyone else had a severe reaction to a colonoscopy.
    can anyone conjecture as to why I had this reaction? I've had the tests before with absolutely no reaction. Should I be hesitant about the next scheduled in 5 yrs.? Myprevious test revealed 5 polyps, and 3 this time: no cancer. However, I have had bladder cancer.

Hi Jayjee

I didn't have a reaction but I was 'asleep' during mine years ago...

You should have your next colonoscopy..I have known 2 people with bladder cancer and later colon cancer.

Good luck to you and take care
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Yes, the colonoscopy kicked my butt. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

I too was awake the whole time, had pains during the procedure, but only one polyp removed. I too felt fine after, ate, and felt okay until later that evening when I went to get me some well deserved icecream, I realized my right arm was really weak as I couldn't scoop the icecream. Then I felt weak all over and did what I like to call a controlled collapse...I was going down no matter what, so put myself on the ground as gracefully and quixkly as I could. This happened twice.

The next day my weak arm was also extremely painful and I eventually ended up inthe er that evening collecting my allotted steroids.

Now I am not diagnosed with MS...still in limbo, so can't really say it was "theMS", but I'm pretty confident it was "the mystery disease" that was triggered by the colonoscopy.

Comment

No problems here other than the horrid prep making me nearly suicidal. I felt fine afterward.

I would guess that either your MS is responding to the taxing experience on your body or you were headed for a flare anyway. No way to know for sure with this miserable disease.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Horrid prep...what an understatement!

I was sitting in my la-z-boy and guess who popped up on the news? Non other than Dr Oz and what was he talking about? His recent colonoscopy what else!

I was NOT looking forward to it, but the worst had already been suffered thru, and I had no intentions to repeat that anytime soon. I confess, Oz on the news while I am waiting for my ride to my own...made it harder to chicken out.

Good harvest of polyps about 6-8? And NO I was not awake for any of it. No problems after either.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

This procedure completely wiped me out, too. I was feeling great before and after had to sleep 12 hours a day for over a month. I remember telling the anesthesiologist how much that prep took out of me, and asked how long it would take to recover from it. He said they usually only have to worry about this with elderly folks, and that recovery shouldn't be more than a day or two. I have not felt the same since, but I'm fighting to get back to the excellent level I was at before.

The day after, I also had an episode of hypoglycemia, which has never happened to me before, nor has it happened since.

I'm thinking it was the anesthesia, and the stress of the procedure might have thrown me into a flare. Limbo here, too.
            It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Yes, the prep was horrible. No, don't remember the procedure at all. But . . . this was 3 weeks ago and I'm still pooping! I've had diarrhea every day. I've taken an entire box of Immodium and am eating very blandly and still pooping! And I thought the prep was the worst part. Ha!

Comment

Working...
              X