Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with M.S. and Gout (see "My Theory")?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with M.S. and Gout (see "My Theory")?

I am referring to an earlier post that explored this relationship. I, of course, wonder if gout is rare in MSers since it is mostly men that get gout, and more women than men get M.S.
    Tawanda

I thought it was interesting. Like aids, it's useful to study who does not get the disease. My neurolgist was touting for new patients, I mean speaking at one of those free dinner events to educate the public... He said Eskimos don't get MS and hurriedly brushed it off as genetic (rather than diet). That would be an interesting starting point if they didn't.

But I've always wondered - do people with Aids get MS? I mean it's an immunosupressive disease? It seems to me that it ought to stop the disease....Not that I'm recommending that.

Comment

I'm so bummed. Someone erased my steak and beer joke.
      It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
        I thought it was interesting. Like aids, it's useful to study who does not get the disease. My neurolgist was touting for new patients, I mean speaking at one of those free dinner events to educate the public... He said Eskimos don't get MS and hurriedly brushed it off as genetic (rather than diet). That would be an interesting starting point if they didn't.

But I've always wondered - do people with Aids get MS? I mean it's an immunosupressive disease? It seems to me that it ought to stop the disease....Not that I'm recommending that.
        Very interesting. I couldn't agree more.

My M.S. "cluster family" is being studied by the UofSF, and that includes ALL family members with and without Multiple Sclerosis. In fact, the ones who don't have M.S. are probably a more valuable study tool than those of us unlucky enough to have had the pin pulled on our M.S. bombs (IMHO)!
        Tawanda

Comment

Interesting responses to this question, or lack thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by lusciousleaves View Post
            Interesting responses to this question, or lack thereof.
            Hey luscious,
            That is interesting. I can't find The Men's Room on here, but perhaps that theory would have been better explored amongst M.S. DUDES!. Gout stinks, but M.S. is stinkier! I'm sure my brother would rather deal with gout than the M.S. he sees me deal with, and worse, the M.S. my mother dealt with!. Maybe gout is good?!
            Tawanda

Comment

Men's room may be in the "I Can Relate" forum? That's where the women's room is.

I'm intrigued by this, and by the fact you have so much MS in your family, yet have a brother with gout.

Of course, being lay people, we'll never know the answer probably. But it is fun to ask.

Comment

I recall reading a site that was investigating the link between MS and gout. Gout is far more common in men than woman and MS is more common in women than men.

It just so happens that both my father and my bother have gout but I have MS. There certainly looks like there's some kind of link there.

Comment

gout and ms

I am showing gout in my big toes. My question, is the severe MS pain, those who get the severe pain, have to much uric acid levels and have developed uric crystals throughout their body? Good research topic.

Comment

parents

Both my Mother and Dad have gout off and on.
                    I am the only one in my family with MS.
                    That includes immediate and distant relatives.
                    As far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X