dental issues and MS or bad root canal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dental issues and MS or bad root canal?

I am sooooo sick of going to the dentist. I have had mouth pain (Starting in Jan) ever since I had 2 crowns put on. I spent several week with the dentist telling me that my mouth just had to get use to the crowns. Dince I was not having any progress, I went to another dentist. He looked at the problem and said that the tooth should have had a root canal....so I pay for an endodontics (sp?) and then pay the dentist to to refill the old crown. Now the same area in my gum is either infected or infamed. The dentist is sending me back to the endodontic to see what the problem could be.

Just wondering if this could be MS related??? Some type of nerve flare????

Anyone with a similar experience? I can't afford many more dentist visits!!

Originally posted by moolk View Post
    I am sooooo sick of going to the dentist. I have had mouth pain (Starting in Jan) ever since I had 2 crowns put on. I spent several week with the dentist telling me that my mouth just had to get use to the crowns. Dince I was not having any progress, I went to another dentist. He looked at the problem and said that the tooth should have had a root canal....so I pay for an endodontics (sp?) and then pay the dentist to to refill the old crown. Now the same area in my gum is either infected or infamed. The dentist is sending me back to the endodontic to see what the problem could be.

Just wondering if this could be MS related??? Some type of nerve flare????

Anyone with a similar experience? I can't afford many more dentist visits!!
    I had something quite similar before I was diagnosed. I had trigeminal neuralgia, and thought wrongly it was tooth pain. I had 4 root canals trying to stop the pain and to no avail.

The endodontist finally sent me to a neurologist who said this is trigeminal neuralgia.

Does the pain come in sharp lightning like pulses? Does it leave behind a dull ache? It can leave your face somewhat swollen on the affected side. The pain is severe and not relieved by dental care.

My advice is to seek neurological evaluation for the pain itself. Is it just local to the tooth, or does it radiate?

Long story short, it ended up being my first MS symptom.
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

TN

I have TN as well and my mouth has never been the same. I had a crown years ago and still very senastive on that side and TN on the other that has my mouth all screwed up. I chew like I have loose dentures..
      limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
        I had something quite similar before I was diagnosed. I had trigeminal neuralgia, and thought wrongly it was tooth pain. I had 4 root canals trying to stop the pain and to no avail.

The endodontist finally sent me to a neurologist who said this is trigeminal neuralgia.

Does the pain come in sharp lightning like pulses? Does it leave behind a dull ache? It can leave your face somewhat swollen on the affected side. The pain is severe and not relieved by dental care.

My advice is to seek neurological evaluation for the pain itself. Is it just local to the tooth, or does it radiate?

Long story short, it ended up being my first MS symptom.
        Cyclist22...
        Just wondering if you had swollen gums? I have a spot that resembels a canker sore but to touch it ...its hard and painful. It was the same thing that sent me to the endodontist in the first place where I got the root canal. It looks like I better see my nero.

Comment

Originally posted by moolk View Post
          Cyclist22...
          Just wondering if you had swollen gums? I have a spot that resembels a canker sore but to touch it ...its hard and painful. It was the same thing that sent me to the endodontist in the first place where I got the root canal. It looks like I better see my nero.
          Honestly, I don't remember. I know my face was swollen around my nose area which was weir to me, but my family doc said it was parasympathetic nerve swelling. I would see the neurologist.

If your dentist cant find a reason for the swelling, it is probably nerve related...or lack thereof from root canal if you know what I mean.
          Tysabri

Comment

swollen gums

I have a spot now that I don't think is a canker sore. I have a dentist appt Wednesday. I swear I don't think its a canker sore. It does not hurt like that. Its not real big and it goes down on its own and swells back up.
            limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Just left the dentist myself. X-rays show now issues but i have an old fillin that shows a fracture which could be a problem but does not explain my pain. It's more than likely my TN again. I get sharp pains in my head on a daily bases.. so bad that my eye closes when I get it. People at work think I am winking...hahaha. I just hurt all the time. This sucks so bad and my Neuro is ******!

Comment

Originally posted by ladibabe View Post
                Just left the dentist myself. X-rays show now issues but i have an old fillin that shows a fracture which could be a problem but does not explain my pain. It's more than likely my TN again. I get sharp pains in my head on a daily bases.. so bad that my eye closes when I get it. People at work think I am winking...hahaha. I just hurt all the time. This sucks so bad and my Neuro is ******!
                It is SO hard to treat TN related to MS. You can try different neuropathic drugs to treat it (Trileptal, Carbazabine, neurontin, all the garden variety stuff), it is trial and error, and sometimes the breakthrough pain just needs a dose of IV steroids.

If your neuro doesn't listen...get another one. TN is incredibly painful and hard to live with. Don't let it go untreated or just hop along on a drug that does not work.

I hope you feel better.
                Tysabri

Comment

I go to a new nuero on the 3rd.. this will be number 5 for me. I hope its my last.

Comment

Originally posted by ladibabe View Post
                    I have a spot now that I don't think is a canker sore. I have a dentist appt Wednesday. I swear I don't think its a canker sore. It does not hurt like that. Its not real big and it goes down on its own and swells back up.
                    ladibabe,
                    This is exactly what I have!!!! Now that I have waited for a week... the spot seems to have moved a little further back. I'm thinking that I'll got see my nero and see what he says. The copay is cheaper than going to the endodontist ... He will just try another root canal I'm afraid

Comment

everything you guys are describing sounds like some of my more minor symptoms of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Please check it out. It is a very rare disorder and therefore, you have to be your own doctor with this disorder.

Less than 100,000 people in the US have this. I am handling this only cuz I was my own researcher.

Check this website out: livingwithtn
                      lots of info for you!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Comment

Thank you blueeyedgirl!!! I'm always so glad that people are so willing to help and listen here! I love my nuero...but often find all of you more helpful! Thank you everyone!

Comment

You are very welcome! These message boards are sooo great! They are here for us in our times of need, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly people jump in to help. And when we feel good enough, we help others as well.
                          A big fat but gentle hug to you!
                          Please dont hesitate to ask if you have any other questions
                          Heather :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X