Is this spacitisty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this spacitisty

Okay for about a month now I get the worse pain in my left calf, it is tight and sore to the touch almost like a pulled muscle.

I stretch it and take my baclofen but I am just wondering if that is what spacitity feels like?

I really only get it in my left calf and not anywhere else, is that normal?

Yes, tight muscles, spasms or the muscle pulling in place are signs of spasticity. What you will not hear from docs esp are you need more nutrients, mostly in the name of magnesium and potassium. From taking meds, the American diet, to treatments, our livers are compromised and our brain/systems lacking good nutrients.

Do a search on Magnesium/potassium for muscle pain/spasms. Baclofen cannot do it all. Plus, you may want to adjust your dose or get a combo that works for your spasticity symptoms.

Good luck. Hope you get relief and soon!!

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
      Yes, tight muscles, spasms or the muscle pulling in place are signs of spasticity.
      But how can one tell the difference between 'cramp tight' and 'spastic tight'?

I've always had the occasional nighttime charlie-horse in my calves, but since the onset of my MS I also have cramp-like events in foot and hand muscles that I didn't know existed. They never last more than a few minutes, so I usually just find the least painful position and wait them out.

Sometimes I can't voluntarily move the affected muscle, but I can move it with another hand/foot, and once I do it goes away! That's the most un-cramp-like aspect.

My neuro doesn't say much about it, mostly (I assume) because I haven't thought it's at a level where I need meds. I asked my PC about it this week and he says my electrolytes test normal, but he wasn't willing to say it was definitely spasticity.

Does this sound like anyone else's spasticity? I'm not looking for meds, but I'd like to know if this is at all typical and if there is a typical progression.
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
        But how can one tell the difference between 'cramp tight' and 'spastic tight'?

I've always had the occasional nighttime charlie-horse in my calves, but since the onset of my MS I also have cramp-like events in foot and hand muscles that I didn't know existed. They never last more than a few minutes, so I usually just find the least painful position and wait them out.

Sometimes I can't voluntarily move the affected muscle, but I can move it with another hand/foot, and once I do it goes away! That's the most un-cramp-like aspect.

My neuro doesn't say much about it, mostly (I assume) because I haven't thought it's at a level where I need meds. I asked my PC about it this week and he says my electrolytes test normal, but he wasn't willing to say it was definitely spasticity.

Does this sound like anyone else's spasticity? I'm not looking for meds, but I'd like to know if this is at all typical and if there is a typical progression.

Mark, try the magnesium/potassium route (research it). Most of us are deficient with MINERALS. Again, our docs have no training in this area.

To "ME" the difference is if I am able to pull up my toes to stop the cramp (but you have to be really quick) from the MS/spastic kind (for me) where it is so deep inside, I cannot control it

I am on large dose of potassium for my kidney problem so I do not get them now as much.

Good luck, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
          Mark, try the magnesium/potassium route (research it). Most of us are deficient with MINERALS. Again, our docs have no training in this area.

To "ME" the difference is if I am able to pull up my toes to stop the cramp (but you have to be really quick) from the MS/spastic kind (for me) where it is so deep inside, I cannot control it

I am on large dose of potassium for my kidney problem so I do not get them now as much.
          Jan,

As I understand it, minerals are a subset of electrolytes. I know my PCP was talking about potassium (4.2 in a 'normal' range of 3.5 to 5.1), but not magnesium.

I take some magnesium, but not every day. I'd take potassium, too, but I've never seen a supplement that had a significant amount (and bananas make me gag!). Any suggestions?

I know what you mean about stopping cramps - I'll have to try to pay attention to that...

Thanks,
          Mark
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I have a similar question to Lisa1014. The past several weeks, I've been woken up by severe calf cramps (even when taking zanaflex before bed. ) I've had spasms in my upper arms and thigh area, never as low as my calf. And never enough to wake me from sleep (I, fortunately, sleep like a rock).

Would this be an "extension" of the spasms I normally have or would this be considered a new problem.

Not sure if it's the same but different (makes sense,doesn't it?!)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
              Jan,

As I understand it, minerals are a subset of electrolytes. I know my PCP was talking about potassium (4.2 in a 'normal' range of 3.5 to 5.1), but not magnesium.

I take some magnesium, but not every day. I'd take potassium, too, but I've never seen a supplement that had a significant amount (and bananas make me gag!). Any suggestions?

I know what you mean about stopping cramps - I'll have to try to pay attention to that...

Thanks,
              Mark
              For me, I take 99mg of potassium 4x a day! Even though my levels can be in the "normal" range, I can have symptoms due to my kidney issue=I spill out electrolytes.
              Don't forget the WATER.. most of us do not drink the min of water needed.. 64 oz, do we? All I know is that its a sign something is deficient in ME.

Good luck in figuring this out.

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Working...
              X