Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP...Protruding disc@ T6-8. Could it be a sx or relapse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP...Protruding disc@ T6-8. Could it be a sx or relapse?

Hi everyone,

I have an unusual ? and hope either someone has the same problem or possibly has an answer. I went on wed. to have a set of MRIs done because I had a bout with ON and neuro wants to see if I have any more lesions......anyway, long story short, the report that I got sent to me said I have protruding discs at T 6 thru 8.

Sorry ths is long...... This morning I woke up about 3 am from this horrendous pain in my left leg which just happens to be the leg where I have all my problems( numbness, weakness, constant pain). The pain is so bad that it makes me nauseous. I have been reading some articles online about disc problems and they talk about having surgery UNLESS it is related to an autoimmune disease.

Does anyone think or know if something like this could be related to MS ? The pain is in my leg leg, more up toward my thigh and crease of groin but can radiate to my knee.

Please please please, does anyone know or have had anything like this. I'm actually thinking of going to the ER

Any help is appreciated!

Tara
    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Hi Tara,

I am in a very similar situation. Two years ago I had a Cspine MRI done and it came back with bulging discs at C4-5,C5-6 and C6-7. I have had chronic neck pain since my dx. I also have a large lesion in the same place on my spine.

The ortho is reluctant to do surgery because of the lesion and aggravating things and possible make it worse.

My neuro talks about cord compression and how it's possible this is what is causing some of my symptoms. (numb left hand, weak legs with a left foot foot drop)

So what to do? Not sure what course to follow.
    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
    Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
    Estriol 9/12-present
    Still Hopeful.

Comment

Truthfully, it sounds exactly like the protruding discs are responsible for the pain. And MS can't cause the disc problem.
      Diagnosis: May, 2008
      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Originally posted by alliesmommy View Post
        I have been reading some articles online about disc problems and they talk about having surgery UNLESS it is related to an autoimmune disease.

Does anyone think or know if something like this could be related to MS ?
        Like the others, I think it sounds most likely to be pure disc trouble.

So now it's time for my physiatry pitch!

I have a few bad discs and a few spinal (and brain) lesions. My disc trouble started first, and in looking for a back doctor I learned that many are orthopedic surgeons , but some (the physiatrists) consider surgery a last resort . If you're like most people and hate the idea of surgery, find yourself a physiatrist.

You can learn about them here: http://www.aapmr.org/patients/aboutp...ysiatrist.aspx
        Physiatrists, or rehabilitation physicians, are nerve, muscle, and bone experts who treat injuries or illnesses that affect how you move.
        Rehabilitation physicians are medical doctors who have completed training in the medical specialty of physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R). Specifically, rehabilitation physicians:

* Diagnose and treat pain
        * Restore maximum function lost through injury, illness or disabling conditions
        * Treat the whole person, not just the problem area
        * Lead a team of medical professionals
        * Provide non-surgical treatments
        * Explain your medical problems and treatment/prevention plan
        I should also mention that it was my physiatrist who recognized that some of my sx were not disc related, and sent me to a neuro for my eventual MS dx.
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

In February of this year, I had 3 Anterior cervical discectomies with fusions, donor bones, titatium plates and screws. What led me to the surgery was a serious problem with my left leg. If I turned my head too far or looked down too far, my left leg would instantly and intensely be electrified followed by total loss of control, feeling and movement. My leg would collapse and I would go down like a rock.

For many years I resisted having this surgery. Just the thought of someone messing with my cervical spine gave me the willies. I've spent too many years holding C-spine, putting on C-Collars, and strapping accident victims to backboards, to willing let someone mess with my neck!

Other than falling down the stairs a couple of times, I had been handling it okay. I learned not to look down or turn my head too much.

However, one day while in the WalMart parking lot, I turned my head too far and fell down behind a car. If it hadn't been for a nice lady screaming and banging on the car, I would have been run over.

So, to me, it wasn't a matter of the numbness and tingling or even the pain, it was a matter of life safety.

My neuro-surgeon was very upfront with me and explained he couldn't be positive of how much of my problems were due to MS and how much were due to spinal cord compression, but he felt I had a 75-80% chance of at least relieving the major left leg problem.

I took that chance and I am glad I did. I still have the numbness, tingling, and pain, which I believe is the MS, but at least I can move my head without fear of my leg collapsing.

I must admit tho, that I know of several people who had a similar surgery (not by the same doctor), that was not as successful. And they are still suffering just as much from the pain and other problems.

My neuro-surgeon is one of the top docs in the state and he spent a lot of time examining, explaining and talking with me and my hubby. I had total confidence in his opinion and his skills. I hope that if you decide to proceed, you will find a neuro-surgeon as competent and caring as mine.

I hope, whatever you decide, that you get some relief soon!
          Echo
          DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

I as told for 8 years that my bulging disc was causing my weak leg and foot drop. did not want back surgery so just learned to live with it.
            Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Disc

Just had a
              cat scan done a month ago. It showed two protruding disk in the lower back. I was told it was an MS problem and could cause severe leg pain. I have no pain.

Lois

Comment

Originally posted by Echo2099 View Post
                In February of this year, I had 3 Anterior cervical discectomies with fusions, donor bones, titatium plates and screws. What led me to the surgery was a serious problem with my left leg. If I turned my head too far or looked down too far, my left leg would instantly and intensely be electrified followed by total loss of control, feeling and movement. My leg would collapse and I would go down like a rock.

For many years I resisted having this surgery. Just the thought of someone messing with my cervical spine gave me the willies. I've spent too many years holding C-spine, putting on C-Collars, and strapping accident victims to backboards, to willing let someone mess with my neck!

Other than falling down the stairs a couple of times, I had been handling it okay. I learned not to look down or turn my head too much.

However, one day while in the WalMart parking lot, I turned my head too far and fell down behind a car. If it hadn't been for a nice lady screaming and banging on the car, I would have been run over.

So, to me, it wasn't a matter of the numbness and tingling or even the pain, it was a matter of life safety.

My neuro-surgeon was very upfront with me and explained he couldn't be positive of how much of my problems were due to MS and how much were due to spinal cord compression, but he felt I had a 75-80% chance of at least relieving the major left leg problem.

I took that chance and I am glad I did. I still have the numbness, tingling, and pain, which I believe is the MS, but at least I can move my head without fear of my leg collapsing.

I must admit tho, that I know of several people who had a similar surgery (not by the same doctor), that was not as successful. And they are still suffering just as much from the pain and other problems.

My neuro-surgeon is one of the top docs in the state and he spent a lot of time examining, explaining and talking with me and my hubby. I had total confidence in his opinion and his skills. I hope that if you decide to proceed, you will find a neuro-surgeon as competent and caring as mine.

I hope, whatever you decide, that you get some relief soon!
                One thing you have to be sure of with discectomies is to follow the doc's orders re: activity. I worked with someone who had a discectomy, and came back to work too soon (a desk job). It didn't take, and she had to have spinal fusion afterward (and 6 months off her desk job).
                Diagnosis: May, 2008
                Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I have had a number of epidural steroid injections which provide great pain relief and soothe the trouble areas.

When I am in the midst of a flare, I find that my back really hurts the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Spydre View Post
                    One thing you have to be sure of with discectomies is to follow the doc's orders re: activity. I worked with someone who had a discectomy, and came back to work too soon (a desk job). It didn't take, and she had to have spinal fusion afterward (and 6 months off her desk job).
                    Spydre,

I am not a good patient, but I did behave myself this time and pretty much did everything doc told me to. Last set of xrays showed everything was still aligned and healing as expected.

I am now on SSDI, so I don't have to worry about going back to work, but I would like to find something part time. It would help me 'keep outta trouble'.

Thanks for the warning tho! It is an important one.
                    Echo
                    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Working...
                    X