Recovering from a Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering from a Fall

Luckily I was indoors today when I fell. My floors are mostly carpeted so the impact on my body was not traumatic. I make great effort to STAY on my feet. It has be challenging as my balance is an issue. I am posting because I'm dissappointed..that I fell and had to call someone for help getting up. I also felt bad because I got up on my own power after they came...if i had been thinking I would have done without calling for help.

I am interested in hearing about YOUR techniques and/or experiences in recovering from a fall. How do you practice prevention/recovery?
    [I]Tellnhelen
    Progressive Relapsing MS

I am very careful that I can see in front of me.
    I am always aware of any distractions, auditory or visual.
    I walk slightly hunched forward; I tend to fall backward or sideways.
    I keep my feet slightly apart; never close together.
    I never turn quickly.
    I always look forward, slightly downward.
    I practice being aware and deliberate.
    I am prepared to fall and have learned to fall safely.
    I have had several injury falls before I le arned all this; others have also shared their lessons.
    I almost never fall now...and then, slow and easy.
    I believe there are tapes available that discuss falling;perhaps National Multiple Sclerosis Society or facebook. Maybe others can identify scources.
    I am learning to pause, breathe easy and then decide what to do next...don't panic.
    Of course I have MS,so sometimes none of this works.

Comment

Falls are a bigger problem for us MSer's than most.

I still walk some but also use a chair part-time and a scooter when out and about. I also use a cane & rollator depending on what I am doing and where. I hate my walker.

I have Rx'd AFOs that help me with my limited walking, and keep em from tearing my ankle to shreds due to weak ankles and a bone spur when I do walk. They also help keep my toes up, minor foot drop.

Have a nice TRIP, don't fall. (one of my humor sayings)

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot.

Comment

I'm so sorry that you fell, but I'm glad that you're ok.

I hate having to call 911 for help getting up. It just doesn't seem like something I should be bothering them with. I couldn't get up the last time because my knees hurt so badly. I had fallen a week before on my knees, but was able to get up that time.

I'm angry with myself because I've gained so much weight. I just can't exercise the way I need to in order to lose weight. My neuro doesn't say that I'm too heavy in that accusatory way (his partner did though), but suggested a 1500 calorie limit for the day. I also have hypothyroid, so weight gain is more of a problem.

This is the stuff that no one talks about when they talk to celebrities about MS. I wish someone would talk to average people about what it's really like.
        Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Working...
        X