Reading, writing spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading, writing spelling

I can to longer write using computer--almost every word is misspelled, and often cannot tell if it why. It often takes five or six tries before I figure out the error.

Some background:

I had 3 rounds of steroids last month for vision problem, which is better. My neuro did a cranial and cervical MRI and said it was MS and, cervical was ok except some arthritis. I got stabbing neck pain 5 days ago and the neuro I start me on Butalbital for cralial arthritis and it is very disorienting and dizzy.

The doctor said this med has this effect.

Another frustrating thing is I am unable to quickly recall nouns.
    I was scared but every time I call the neuro nurse (who is the best) she checks with the doc (who is also the best) and
    they insist there's nothing life I shouldns have known that-- my primary doc already checked it week ago. (I an in bd meds that work well.)

So I don't know, I'm just frustrated and scared that I can't post online or follow a line if of text. This post has take me 2 hours. At least I can write by hand. I'll try to read your your posts cause I need them!!

Sending good thoughts your way!

Hang in there Truckin! Hopefully this just a bad spell that'll mostly go away. I have had steriods twice and both times they improved by brain fog. Maybe it's the opposite for you?

Have you called your Doc? Maybe it's that new med, and he can give you something else.
    You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

I've checks with the doc every day that there' another symptom. Today there's nothing new yet.

I play Lumosity Word Bubbles game online and the highest score I ever got was 3500. It got down to around 2400 for the last 3 weeks. Now it's around 15! But it's pointless
      because the game us timed to 1 minute and for almost every' word, I don't even know it'e incorrected.

Comment

Originally posted by truckin View Post
        I can to longer write using computer--almost every word is misspelled, and often cannot tell if it why. It often takes five or six tries before I figure out the error.

Some background:

I had 3 rounds of steroids last month for vision problem, which is better. My neuro did a cranial and cervical MRI and said it was MS and, cervical was ok except some arthritis. I got stabbing neck pain 5 days ago and the neuro I start me on Butalbital for cralial arthritis and it is very disorienting and dizzy.

The doctor said this med has this effect.

Another frustrating thing is I am unable to quickly recall nouns.
        I was scared but every time I call the neuro nurse (who is the best) she checks with the doc (who is also the best) and
        they insist there's nothing life I shouldns have known that-- my primary doc already checked it week ago. (I an in bd meds that work well.)

So I don't know, I'm just frustrated and scared that I can't post online or follow a line if of text. This post has take me 2 hours. At least I can write by hand. I'll try to read your your posts cause I need them!!
        The best I can tell you is hang in there. I too, have problems spelling that I didn't have 5 years ago. I rely on spell check every time I type something, and I try not to write anything not on the computer, so I don't make the errors. Any communication between my sons' teachers and myself is either by phone or by e-mail, and the e-mail is cumbersome to write, but conversations can be painful.

My doctor told me to to "exercise my brain" when I can, by reading (I have an e-reader), playing simple games (hearts is my favorite), even word finds, but I find word finds hard to decipher. Keeping my reading up is helpful, but doesn't help with not finding the words I need.
        Diagnosis: May, 2008
        Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

how about meds

They are using some of the alzheimers meds with good success with the cognitive symptoms of MS.

You might want to talk to doc about it.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

If you're typing on an iPad that auto spell thing can stuff you up big time. I gave up text messages on my phone - the phone had a mind of its own.
            Were you a touch typer before? My speed and accuracy have definitely slipped. I have to watch what I'm doing now.

Comment

Another day, holding on

I can converse, do choses, and work out, but can't spell or recognize words--it takes a few tries every time. All of these symptoms came about in a few weeks.

My neuro said it is MS and will clear up. My vision cleared up in a few weeks. The cognitive part is taking longer.

I'm having a hard time telling time today.

Also very scary and depressed. The meds are VERY cognitively slow-movin, especially the new drug, BUTALBITAL, and SEROQUEL.

What are your experiences with these symptoms?

Comment

I have problems with spelling sometimes too. I used to be a very, very good speller and now not so much. I use Google a lot at work because if you start typing the word it will come up and you're then have the correct spelling.

I also stumble over words sometimes when talking. Fortunately I'm able to carry on an intelligent conversation with my clients 90% of the time without stuttering and forgetting what I'm saying. My problem mostly comes up when I'm talking with family and friends. Not sure what to think of that..?

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                  If you're typing on an iPad that auto spell thing can stuff you up big time. I gave up text messages on my phone - the phone had a mind of its own.
                  Were you a touch typer before? My speed and accuracy have definitely slipped. I have to watch what I'm doing now.
                  I've had auto correct turned off on every phone I've had forever. There's just no telling what's going to come out. Even people without MS issues have problems with Apple's auto correct, lol. I'd rather have my typos than a word that I don't mean....
                  Diagnosis: May, 2008
                  Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

My spelling is not what it used to be. I never used to have a problem with There, Their, etc but suddenly, it's as if I lost a few IQ points.

So I make an extra effort now and always (well, almost always) spell check. If you get firefox instead of explorer, it has built-in spell checking.

I read a bit more slowly than I used to. While reading to the kids last night, I had to be extra careful.

I just remind myself how a baby learned to walk or how I learned to read, write and spell when I was young and I am just determined to do it all over again. I do this, having read the story in "The Brain that Changes Itself" about an elderly man who had a massive stroke and was told he would never walk again. He began by learning to crawl and crawled around his son's garden until he was able to finally walk again.

Comment

Word Finding

I mostly have the word finding issue. I used to be articulate in my speaking but now it is very difficult. I tend now to isolate and avoid conversation. Tracking a conversation is also very difficult--I find myself shaking my head no or nodding my head yes rather than speaking. It's like I can't take the conversation in and certainly cannot remember it even a minute later! Frustrating!

Comment

I am learning to use speech recognition software as my hands are getting too shaky to use keyboard. A added benefit is that it spells a lot better than me. Amazed at how well it works.

Comment

Off line last 2 days--forgot a lol of passwords and how to use them

Takes too long to do stuff online-- have to learn everything over again.

But I do mindless things like jog indoors.

My caregiver dues the bills now.

Disconnected to what I used to be and used to do.

Is's heartbreaking. What is left for me?

Comment

Dragon Naturally Speaking

I can no longer type due to my MS. I use the voice recognition software program Dragon Naturally Speaking produced by Nuance software. Prices range from $100-$200 depending on the version. This program works great and it will make the Internet life much easier.

Comment

When I was first dx'd someone told me. 'Tomorrow will be a better day.
                              Hang in there
                              I NEVER could spell! Always had to really study that subject
                              techie
                              Another pirated saying:
                              Half of life is if.
                              When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                              Dogs Rule!

Comment

Working...
                              X