Wondering if this is spasticity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering if this is spasticity?

I have a spot on my back near my shoulder blade - when it gets sore, my arm (left) gets weak, same with my hand. I've had my husband rub it out, and he always says there's no muscle knot there. I'm just wondering if spasticity is possible without a muscle knot? I'm trying to figure out what this is, since it's back to happening almost daily. A few years ago, I got trigger point injections for it, but the injections only last a few hours, and I can't always predict what day it's going to happen - or what time of day. The pain management clinic closes at three.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Maybe he can rub the spot instead?.....

Comment

This is a question that I have been wondering about myself. just what symptoms are attributed to spasticity? I seem to be having episodes where my legs don't seem to want to work normally, almost like I have to think more about moving them if this makes any sense?

The muscles in my legs don't seem tight when this happens but I don't know if this is spasticity or fatigue or ??

Comment

My spasticity is a tightening of my leg muscles (sometimes my arms). It's like a stretch that I can't get out of. I have felt like I have to "break" my knees to bend them.
        Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

I used to think that I really did not have spasticity. But I have realized over the course of this year a lot of things I attributed to just MS is really being spastic. I had a really BAD problem with my bladder that I went to ER with and in the end it was spasticity and the only thing that helped was baclofen.

As far as Trigger Points go, there may be several that are referring to this spot that are not being addressed. They can only give so many injections, but since your husband is willing to work on you check out Trigger Point Myotherapy. Depending on where you live there may be a Certified TP Therapists or a Bonnie Prudden Certified Myotherapist. Also a Certified Neuromuscular Therpists work with TPs. Not just a massage therapist that say they do trigger point work.

My mom went to Bonnie's School in MA. She is 83 and still amazing. She has got me through this horrible exacerbation along with my husband that we have trained. I was also a Certified Myotherapist. When we had our clinic we encouraged people to bring someone with them to work with them at home.

Trigger Points come from places and refer to places that seem strange. No matter where someone hurts we almost always start at the gluteal muscles. There are books out on Myotherapy and usually a lot at used book stores and in the beginning my mom helped me a lot just from the books and this was back in the 80's. MS has taught me so much that I wish I had known back then as nerve pain spastic muscles is a whole new ball game. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X