How do you contract the JC virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you contract the JC virus?

How is the JC virus transmitted? What should you avoid getting exposed to?

Okay, I don't know what that is...
    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy Dead Petals View Post
      How is the JC virus transmitted? What should you avoid getting exposed to?
      The JCV is quite common in the general public 50-80% of adults have it. If you have tested negative and are an adult, you are lucky. I did, and feel lucky myself.

It is common among kids and young adults. It is thought to be prominent in and around sewage or contaminated water.

It tends to infect tonsils, GI tract and other areas. The virus itself lies dormant but may reactivate and cross the blood brain barrier and can cause PML for those of us who take Tysabri.

If you are negative, just wash your hands and practice cleanliness. Kind of the same tips to keep from getting the cold virus. There is no vaccine for it. You may eventually test positive for the virus while on Ty even if you initially test negative.
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Thank you for the information. I tested negative as well and want to make a concentrated effort to stay that way.

Comment

Working...
        X