oatmeal bad 4u?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oatmeal bad 4u?

i know ive heard somewhere that grains or wheat products are not good for ms. has anyone ever heard of this? i loooove my apple cinnamon oatmeal darnitt!!!

Oatmeal comes from oats.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
      Oatmeal comes from oats.
      techie
      i thought oats is the same as a grain or something....i dont know just checking

Comment

SOME people adhere to a theory that MS is caused or worsened by a leaky gut and that gluten from wheat is one of the factors responsible.

Some people who avoid gluten also avoid Oats because they say it could be contaminated with wheat.

So I suppose it depends on what you believe. I'm not qualified to tell you about gluten and MS since my MS diet allows wheat. I'm sure someone else can advise, but I suspect that some eat oats and some don't.

Comment

gluten

If you are trying to stay gluten free on the premise that gluten may be causing symptoms, then you need to be careful where you get your oats from. They are a grain, and in and of themselves they are gluten free. BUT they are typically processed and grown in areas where wheat is also. The wheat then has carryover into the final product of oats, and wheat is the source of the gluten.

You can buy gluten free oats. I get mine from the health food store locally, and have also bought them on line from Bob. I do prescribe to the gluten free diet. It is an effort that makes me feel I have a teeny tiny bit of control in this otherwise out of control condition. I have not had a major exacerbation since the first and horrible one that lead to my diagnosis, so I will continue with all I am doing hoping that steroids are not in my near future.

karen
          You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

grace,
            I suspect you are trying to decipher the 'gluten free' stuff.
            I don't know if oats contain gluten. I don't know for sure but I suspect your beloved oatmeal is an instant variety with some very NASA-like ingredients.
            Oatmeal probably would not be a bad food to eat if you supplemented it with real fruit and real cinnamon and real natural sweeteners (not the pink or blue packet ). Good luck

Comment

My cardiologist wants me to eat oatmeal at least twice a week. I usually get in one or two per per week.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Oatmeal is great and very healthy. I'd find out if there are some "approved" oats you can eat. Yum.

Comment

I switched to Iron Steel oatmeal. Different than instant packs but works for me. Ain't nobody taking my oats!

Comment

Working...
                  X