question about relapse and remission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about relapse and remission

I am new to this and appreciate whatever advice/guidance you with more experience can give me.

I seem to be having 3-4 weeks of wellness, lack of symptoms. Then a week or two of symptoms.

I will feel better, get back to the gym. Then symptoms come back.

I am just starting to research medicines, etc. New to this so exploring my options.

Is this pattern typical of anyone's experiences? I know everyone is different, but it seems some people go for months or years without symptoms.

thanks for your help!

take care,

Michele

Do you believe you are experiencing a new exacerbation or just the ebb and flow of symptoms. When I was recently diagnosed, I used to have symptoms which would come and go for a few weeks.

In my experience, it takes a while to get to know your "new body" with all its new quirks.

Just to be clear, there are two general types of medicines for MS:

So Called "Disease Modifying Drugs" (DMDs), which can slow the disease but do not make you feel better.

Drugs for symptoms - these do make you feel better but do not slow the disease.

Many people use a combination of both.

How long have you been diagnosed and when was your last exacerbation?

Comment

BigA- Thank you for taking the time to respond. I had my first "Big" symptom last October. Right side of my face went numb..took myself to ER. etc.

I started seeing a neuro in Jan. Have no visible lesions yet, but banding in my spinal fluid and some other indicators on my bloodwork. I go for follow up MRI in August.

You are so right. It DOES take time to learn the cues of this new body. I am in that process. I am definitely in a flare up right now..I only take pain meds at the moment.

thank you,

Michele

Comment

Michelerene; I am curious, with your sx arriving every few weeks, have you noticed (I am assuming you are a woman) that your sx return coincides with your menstrual cycle?

I ask because there haven't been any studies on this (according to my neuro) but I absolutely feel that even my "normal" sx return every month about the week before and last until about the completion of my menses cycle.

When I asked my (old) neuro about this, he said there was no evidence to support the idea but that was because there hadn't been any research on it.

Just an idea...
        DXd Fragile X premutation ~ 2004
        DXd RRMS ~ Jan. 2009

Comment

Originally posted by AmyKathryn View Post
          I ask because there haven't been any studies on this (according to my neuro) but I absolutely feel that even my "normal" sx return every month about the week before and last until about the completion of my menses cycle.

When I asked my (old) neuro about this, he said there was no evidence to support the idea but that was because there hadn't been any research on it.
          AmyKathryn,

It is very common for hormonal fluctuation (ovulation and menses) to cause a temporary increase of MS symptoms. This would not be considered a relapse.

There is information about this subject as well as confimation from many women with MS. However, MS is not the only condition where hormonal fluctuations affect health conditions.

From The National MS Society:
          http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...use/index.aspx
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

That's a good question because anything can make your symptoms worse and it's important to not mistake these for your MS.

Your MS sneaks up and attacks you and you can't feel it. You can notice the results with your damaged nervous system, but the MS is silent.

What cues the symptoms? for some it's heat, for many, exhaustion, lack of sleep, exercise, etc. It doesn't mean not to do those things, especially exercise, but it does mean to get to know your triggers and not worry you're getting worse.

Comment

Working...
            X