Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Understanding MRI Findings?

Hi All-

The report from the brain mri done last week states 2 things I don't understand enough to know if they have any significance at all. I see my neuro in the AM. Any insight would be awesome.

1."There is slight increased FLAIR signal below the genu of the corpus callosum, more prominent in this current study, however this may be due to differences in technique."

2."The previously described linear enhancing region in the left frontoparietal region is again noted which may represent a venous anomaly."

I'm thinking they may not mean a hill of beans, which would leave me back to waiting for more definitive signs to be identified at some point in the future, I think. I'm focused more on #1- the corpus callosum, as I think #2 may not be significant( is it)?

I have plenty of symptoms....and two hyperintense foci in the bilateral frontal lobes, and some bits and pieces of irregular labs but not earth shattering. So far no dx.

I'm 51 yrs old, so I *think* changes in the corpus callosum shouldn't be put down to age *yet*!

Thoughts from anyone who understands these things?

Thanks,guys!!

Ocean

Hi Ocean:
    As I said in my most under your other thread, it's hard to know exactly what the report means because it refers to a previous report that we don't have.

1. There is an abnormal finding below -- not in -- the corpus collosum. As I'm remembering your other thread, the report doesn't say anything else about it. If the radiologist didn't describe or interpret it, there's no way that we can, either. We can only make assumptions by what was said -- "slight" rather than pronounced increased signal -- and what wasn't said -- no mention of anything alarming.

As far as the signal being more prominent than in the last (unknown) report, the radiologist seems to have interpreted that aspect. S/he could have said anything else about it, but chose to single out the possibility that the difference is due to a difference in MRI technique, not a change in status.

2. Again, without access to the previous report, there isn't any way to know specifically what the radiologist is referring to. Once more, the radiologist could have said anything else about it, but chose to single out the possibility that the enhancing area is a venous anomaly. The word "anomaly" can refer to any kind of abnormality, but since nothing else was said, it can be assumed that there wasn't anything ominous about its appearance.

In referring back to the previous report, this report is somewhat nonspecific. We can help with what the words mean, but there isn't any way to convert that into an interpretation of the significance of the findings. So you'll have to wait until your neuro can put it all into perspective. Hold on! It's only a few more hours.

Comment

Thanks, Redwings.

I just posted about the neuros response under my limbo post, but basically this is just more
      "wait and see". Come back in 4 mos, and call if any changes or troubling symptoms prior. Based on how I'm doing, we'll plan for another mri in one year....

When I asked if it isn't MS, what else could it be she said it could be post infectious from something (maybe viral that hasn't been identified yet) we may never figure out, but she doesn't know right now.

BTW- I cant figure out where else you responded to this; sorry. Which thread was it under? I must have forgotten where I posted...

Ocean

Comment

I'm due for a set of MRI's tomorrow after my infusion. I plan on asking my infusion nurse if she can give me a report in english about lesions and where they are, and how they compare with last years set.

The Neuro just tells me "no change" after an MRI, and I got unreadable report copies at one point. I think my regular nurse will be able to tell me more.

Comment

Working...
        X