X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vit d level is 29

which is low, but not terrible.

however...

i can't supplement since i am now a participant in a research study combining vit d and copaxone (have not started taking any meds yet for the study). i am forbidden from taking additional vit d or cod liver oil beyond what i am given in the study.

do you think if i eat more fatty fish and eggs i will be messing up the data for the study? i want to further research, but i don't want to have a relapse in the process, ya know?
    dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

You raise an interesting point. I can't figure out if you would be cheating or not. I think you should just ask your study coordinator and be honest.

But this illustrates the problem with Studies. Someone gets the placebo. It also illustrates why studies on diet are so difficult or impossible. We can't be put in cages and fed exact quantities to find out.

Are you banned from swimming?

Comment

Do they let you go outside?
      If you can get some sun, you can make your own
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

the study is a RCT involving the use of copaxone and vit d. the experimental group will get 4,000 iu of vit d while the control group will get 400 iu vit d. with a level of 29, if i am in the control group i will potentially have low vit d levels throughout the study. this makes me nervous.

if i am in the control group i am not concerned but of course there is no way of knowing which group i will end up in. i am relieved to be in this study because i now have my medication, check ups, and mris taken care of for the next two years which is a big relief.

on the other, i am limited in what i can choose to do with my body for the next two years. any medication or supplement that i want to take must be disclosed. and as i mentioned additional vit d is not allowed.

i am however, free to swim. why do you ask?

Comment

I think you should follow the study exactly or not do it. Otherwise you could spoil the results. Obviously, you believe that Vitamin D helps to prevent relapses, but if you are in the control group and get vitamin D through sunshine or other means, then it will show that vitamin D was not effective.

You do have a legitimate concern. This is something to bring up with the study coordinator. If you are doing this to benefit research, then you need to do it right. Are you doing it for free meds, treatment or money? Those are all legitimate reasons to take part in a study (and advertised as benefits by people recruiting), but still if you take part, I think you should do it right.

Swimming outside = sunshine = vitamin D

Comment

meegun,
            thank you for doing this study. It is your sacrifice that will end up helping all of us. I would ask your study coordinator about supplementing. As far as swimming, I think the poster is thinking about getting your own body to produce vitamin D.

I would be interested to hear if your system did react to positively increase your levels. I suspect that it will not correct them in less than a year of increased sunlight exposure. But I would not bet on it. I am not a medical person nor do I have any idea of your physical condition. I do know that your level is 29, because you wrote that number in your post. I am of the opinion, from my research, that a person should be between 50 and 80 ng/mL.
            I was tested and my number was 49 ng/mL. My doctor said he would be more confident if I was higher than 50. If I were in your shoes, I would research the negatives of low vitamin D. I would also eat foods,regularly, that are proven to increase your vitamin D intake. And armed with this knowledge, ask your study coordinator if this has been taken into account for this study. Good luck

Comment

ok, points taken. i believe they will run ongoing labs for the study and i can also have my labs drawn by my neuro to keep an eye on my vit d level.

i eat a pretty good diet but i don't eat much seafood. i've never been fond of fish. i do eat eggs. i appreciate the input.

i don't want to skew any results because that doesn't benefit the research. i am about to begin a swimming class so maybe those levels will come up on thier own.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                meegun,
                thank you for doing this study. It is your sacrifice that will end up helping all of us. I would ask your study coordinator about supplementing. As far as swimming, I think the poster is thinking about getting your own body to produce vitamin D.
                Not knowing if you're getting the benefit is part of the sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by meeegun View Post
                  ok, points taken. i believe they will run ongoing labs for the study and i can also have my labs drawn by my neuro to keep an eye on my vit d level.

i eat a pretty good diet but i don't eat much seafood. i've never been fond of fish. i do eat eggs. i appreciate the input.

i don't want to skew any results because that doesn't benefit the research. i am about to begin a swimming class so maybe those levels will come up on thier own.

Good for you. Thank you for doing the right thing, even though there is some uncertainty. And good for you on the swimming. I swam the whole weekend and feel great. It's the best exercise for MS*

*IMO

Comment

Hi...

Iv'e been away for a while but I'm back, hopefully to get some answers to my questions. I had my regular Gyno Appt. blood work came back 22.8 for Vit D, is that terribly low, and do most MS patients have low levels??

Comment

Hi LISAMARIE,
                      I see you have a reading of 22 for vitamin D. Who did the test? What was the doctors opinion? My doctor thinks 50 to 80 ng/mL is the range for 'safe'. Now that you know your number is 22, what are you doing about it?
                      As far as vitamin Dm levels for the whole population of America, it is reported that vitamin D deficiency is an epidemic waiting to be corrected. I believe that the effects of low vitamin D levels are associated with many diseases and disorders.

Comment

Hi Jerry..

I had my blood drawn in August of last year while, getting my regular check up. My Dr. called me and left a message saying my Vit D levels are very low, and to start supplementing. I have an appointment with her next month.

I had a brain tumor removed in 2005, they thought it was MS until the MRI showed a tumor wrapped around my Optic Nerve. I have many symptoms which makes me think I may also have MS. I have read that many MS patients have low Vit D levels, as well as many who suffer from other diseases. I have to be much more pro active, I've been enjoying my time away from doctors visits, but I must make myself go back.

Comment

Working...
                        X