So stressed and dont know what to do :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So stressed and dont know what to do :(

I went to my doctor today. He strongly suggests rebif or capoxone For my treatment. He's given me 3 weeks to make a decision and explained this medication is insanely expensive. I am currently going to school and am also usually a full time single mom to a toddler,although ex is currently withholding my son from me at the moment. I have to save up to attend court for my son. Today I cannot seem to wake up. I can hardly gather the energy to walk around and the minute I sit down I doze off. :/ it makes me feel like a lazy loser. I hate it. I doubt my meds will be covered affordable by my insurance so now I guess I'll have to apply for Medicaid. The idea of working scares the poop outta me because I'm so tired ALL THE TIME my legs hurt so bad I have insane weakness in my hands and arms and have DEBILITATING HEADACHES so idk what I'm going to do about working. I'm so stressed out. Just wanted to vent.

Yes, Rebif and Copaxone (and the others) are expensive. However, health insurance will cover the costs to some degree. I pay $100/month copayment, some people pay less, some pay more.

Even if the copay is too much for you, the drug companies each have programs to assist you. Go to their websites or call their toll free numbers to get the ball rolling on that. Perhaps Medicaid is an option as well, but I know nothing about that program.

I'm sorry for all the stress you're going through, and I hope that you won't let drug costs contribute any more to that stress.

Comment

I'm sure someone will have good advice about what to do about your custody issues, but quicky, my advice is to call each company. Give them all your insurance info and they will figure it out. Most have copay assistance and some even free medecine. it's that simple, "Hi, I need to choose a Med, but I'm having difficulties paying and worried about how much it will cost. Can you tell me how much it would cost to be on your drug?

Don't sweat this part. The drugs are expensive, but mostly for your insurance company or the governement.

Shared Solutions (Copaxone): 1-800-887-8100
      MS Lifelines (Rebif): 1-877-447-3243

Also, you don't have it listed, but they have an excellent and generous program at

MS Active Source (Avonex): 1-800-456-2255

Comment

Originally posted by MandaPanda2888 View Post
        I went to my doctor today. He strongly suggests rebif or capoxone For my treatment. He's given me 3 weeks to make a decision and explained this medication is insanely expensive. I am currently going to school and am also usually a full time single mom to a toddler,although ex is currently withholding my son from me at the moment. I have to save up to attend court for my son. Today I cannot seem to wake up. I can hardly gather the energy to walk around and the minute I sit down I doze off. :/ it makes me feel like a lazy loser. I hate it. I doubt my meds will be covered affordable by my insurance so now I guess I'll have to apply for Medicaid. The idea of working scares the poop outta me because I'm so tired ALL THE TIME my legs hurt so bad I have insane weakness in my hands and arms and have DEBILITATING HEADACHES so idk what I'm going to do about working. I'm so stressed out. Just wanted to vent.
        First, you're not lazy, you're sick. Second, your ex is ... a word that my mother told me never to say . Third, apply for SSDI. You can do it online. I did it and got it first time. Make sure that you stay on top of your doctors and what they need to fill out. Fourth, call your doctor about the headaches and other symptoms. Fifth, chocolate helps . Sixth, vent away!
        Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Feels good to vent sometimes....

Okay take a deep breath. If you can't afford the medicine right now just tell the doctor.
          There is help on both the drug sites with payment if you need it.
          Also you may want to consider NOT taking one. They only slow down MS not cure it. If the stress of paying is making you worse then is it worth it?
          Tomorrow will be a better day.
          Do what is best for you
          techie
          Another pirated saying:
          Half of life is if.
          When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
          Dogs Rule!

Comment

medications

Just so you know, most of the medications have a copay assistance. I am assuming you have some type of insurance? What I did before I made my decision and was in your shoes was call my prescription insurance (different than my medical) and had them give me the prices of several MS medications. My Dr. did not limit me to choosing from only 2. I got slight assistance on the Copaxone, but full assistance on the Betaseron that I was on recently. I am not sure what all Rebif offers, but I know all of them offer financial assistance. They get money from the insurance regardless. Your copay is nothing compared to what your insurance pays them each month so they don't mind taking over your copay. Hope this helps.
            RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Thank you

Thanks everyone! My dr didn't necessarily only give me 2 options he told me ALL the options and then we talked about which ones he thOught would be best for me. And the ones that he saw the least amoun if side effects from. Of course if I don't tolerate them well we will move forward with different treatments but he prefers injectable drugs and through my research I haven't heard many good things about the oral medication. He's also more familiar with those and Thier side effects as the oral one has only been out a year. I'm cool with any thing as long as the side effects are limited and easily tolerable. I feel much better now. I'm leaning more towards copaxone because it has least side effects but rebif sounds a bit easier. I'm so shocked in basically sick for life. Never thought itd happen to me.

Comment

copaxone

the shared solutions nurses are WONDERFUL.
                They will come out and do training. I will tell you not to get discouraged when you do the first few shots.
                The needle does not hurt at all, but it does feel like a bee sting. That feeling never went away with me while I was on copaxone. I would have still stayed on it though despite that if I didn't have an allergic reaction.
                The Shared Solution nurse will come out and train you once you get your medication in the mail and will show you how to do your shots. She will give you all kinds of tips to lessen the bee sting effect. I felt it, but it really wasn't that bothersome and lasted all but 5 minutes.

There are a lot of folks on here still on Copaxone that can give you tons of advice. Good luck on your journey. You are already amongst friends here

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
                RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

REBIF --MSLIFELINES

They work with any finanacial situation. The nurses also come to your home and teach you how to do the shots. They also provide you with everything you will need to start your treatment. They have been wonderful for me. Anytime I have questions about anything they are there to help.

I have not had any bad side effects to the rebif so far and I am hoping it will help with the disease. It has only been 3 weeks so far.

1-877-447-3243
                  call them they can help.
                  DIAGNOSED=2012
                  ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                  REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Im so sorry youre going through this all at once!

We are in similar situations so I thought I'd chime in. I started Copaxone becasue it does not have those flu-like side effects of Rebif. But that is a choice you will make with your Dr.

As for the $.. they are all expensive, but as other posters have said- dont sewat that too much. Absolutely apply for medicaid. You don't have to apply for Disability and wait around forever, the income limits are higher than most people think, and their coverage is FANTASTIC. I am on medicaid and pay ZERO for my meds. I have never had them turn down a claim (and I go to a neurologist at Johns Hopkins, a neuropthalmologist, physical therapy, and take a few meds).

Even if that doesnt work- all the drug companies have assistance programs and I've only heard positive things about Shared Solutions' program (thats the Copaxone people).

WHatever you do decide, get started soon. I did start to feel better after starting Copaxone and doing a round of steroids around the same time. And don't call yourself lazy- you are fatigued which is a common symptom of MS. Supplements and meds can help along with the DMDs.

Good luck hon, I really feel for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X