Killer fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killer fatigue

Over the years I've felt tired or fatigued, but nothing compared to what's happening all of a sudden now.

Has anyone had a somewhat sudden surge in fatigue that is just awful and long lasting? I've had MS for 11 years and have gone thru some battles with a little fatigue. But now it's unrelenting and consuming!

I also have Graves disease and IBS and some disc problems in my back. So I suppose all these things contribute. But this stuff is the worst!

Appreciate any suggestions!
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I don't know what it is about this year, but I have definitely been struggling with fatigue unlike anything I have experienced. My neuro wants me to try Amantidine, and consider reducing my work schedule.

I wish I had some suggestions. You're not alone.

Comment

My neuro actually said today

that he thinks the weather is partly to blame. We've had rather unusual weather in the midwest this year. Too warm WAY too early, and now record-high temps and drought conditions, with humidity going up and down like a yo-yo. He advised me not to think of my new symptoms as possibly permanent until fall, as lots of his patients seem to be having more difficulty than usual this year.

Comment

Ive been feeling fab and about a month ago was slammed with some serious fatigue. My neuro sent me to the vampires for bloodwork and found that my D was STILL low and my B12 was at the floor.

Maybe your answer wont be as simple, but its worth a check. My neuro also checked for infection, said a mild underlying infection could have also been the culprit.

I also started checking into some of the supplements they talk about in that section of this forum. Acetyl carnitine something or another? Maybe you can check those posts out. Lots of people report feeling MUCH less fatigue after starting those and other supplements.

I do hope you start to feel better soon. Keep cool!!

Comment

When I was first diagnosed, I had killer fatigue and amantidine worked pretty good for me. Ask your Dr about it. Hope it works out for you.
          When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. ~FDR

Comment

I know what you mean

Earlier this year I too was struck with insurmountable. I had started with a new neuro, my MRI showed an active lesion and my blood work identified Vitamin D deficiency. My level was 9 when it should be around 80.

I was put on a therapeutic regimen of vitamin D3 for 8 weeks and a normal regimen of 2000iu a day. I also started a regimen of supplements including Alpha lipoic acid, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Calcium, Magnesium and other vitamins.

My fatigue remains, but thank goodness it is not so overwhelming...always there but not so very restrictive.

I hope you find a treatment or other solution to overcome your consuming fatigue.
            Angela Dx RRMS 7/2001; Copaxone 9/2001

Comment

I thought I knew...

I worked night shift through 3 pregnancies. Always worked beyond reasonable boundaries....fell asleep at stop lights and in elevators....I only THOUGHT I knew fatigue.

I wish a new word could be used...it is like the word "depression".... Everyone believes they understand depression, but until one experiences TRUE debilitating depression, you don't get it.

I no longer even use the word fatigue anymore since it simply is not adequate for what occurs......

SOOOOOO, a shout out to all the smarter people in this forum....to what EXACTLY does medical science attribute this terrible fatigue associated with multiple sclerosis?

It seems to affect all MS'ers at various stages, and at all different degrees of wellness....people with active demyelination and others with no change in lesions...active and inactive life styles....passive and assertive personalities....those on energy drinks, those who sleep all day....those on drugs, those not.....

It seems to be the really one indisputable constant for everyone....does anyone know if there is a common cause or explanation?

Comment

new normal- my non-expert opinion is that MS is just plain exhausting. I have yet to hear a good, clear, physiological reason why we are all so dang tired.

Hopefully someone answers your question because I'd really like to know as well!

Comment

Originally posted by newbie but goodie View Post
                  new normal- my non-expert opinion is that MS is just plain exhausting. I have yet to hear a good, clear, physiological reason why we are all so dang tired.

Hopefully someone answers your question because I'd really like to know as well!
                  I don't think they've ever really decided...there are a few theories.

I've heard that they think it could be because our brains have to "think" their way through everything we do because of lesions.

In other words, a normal person walks, it happens with clear signals of how to move from the brain to the legs. But a person with MS, plagued by leg issues, or any other issue for that part, since the "wiring" is messed up, the brain has to figure out a way to get the job done, i.e. get us walking in some fashion, but it can't do it in the normal way, but has to circumvent normal channels and that's what consumes energy of mind and muscles. (of course if this theory is to be believed, then it seems to me that once you were in a wheelchair, you'd have extra energy, but then there are other parts of the body that still have to work at doing things.)

Even our brains doing cognitive skills can be affected by lesions and make us more tired from doing things we once considered normal.

Heat makes it worse because it slows down the nerve impulses and makes things even harder.

Whether that's the reason or not, I have no idea, just sounded like a plausible explanation at the time I read it.

I have three kinds of fatigue...the stuck in a chair with a heavy lead apron on, and no energy to get up out of the chair, sometimes so tired it feels like there's no energy to take the next breath...but I'm not sleepy.

Then there's the sleepy fatigue where I could sleep days on end. In fact I work from home, and on those days, I do a task, and fall asleep in from of the computer, wake up, do another task, then doze off...it can go on like that for hours...glad I'm not on a "time limit" to get my work done.

And the third time is just plain old fashioned muscle fatigue where I've overused a muscle and it begins to shake, tremor, or twitch and becomes pretty much useless, and uncontrollable. Rest usually restores use to the muscle or muscle group.

Comment

Thanks, rdmc

Thank you for a succinct, logical explanation for MS fatigue.

My son who suffered brain injury experienced severe fatigue. Being in a room full of people would require days of sleeping to recover.

For discussion sake, assuming your explanation is correct, it would then explain why people with no visible lesions who experience MS symptoms may have "fraying" of nerves ...not yet detectable by MRI's.

It would suggest that using stimulants to get energy may not be a wise choice....we are merely "fraying" more tissue and stressing our systems....makes me consider alternatives.....but if faced with an emergency, adrenaline doesn't do it for me....I reach for an energy drink.....what's a girl to do?

You totally described the 3 fatigues to a "t". Absolute.

Great answer....thank you for posting.

Comment

Working...
                    X