X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neurologist vs Neuropsychologist

Whats the difference?
    Is one better then the other?
    Im newly diagnosed and seem to be suffering from INSANE mood swings. Would I benefit at all? Im confused by all the information I receive at once while surfing the web lol. Obvi I have a neuro but not really a clue what a Neuropsychologist is. THANKS!
    Manda

Clarification

Manda,

A neurologist is a medical doctor and a neuropsychologist is a psychologist who specializes in neuropsychology. One has an MD the other a Ph.D./Psy.D.

You would typically go to a neuropsychologist for an evaluation that could last 3-4 hours that evaluates your concentration, attention, memory, information processing etc. A lot of psychological tests of cognitive functiong.

You go to a neurologist for the medication for MS, CT Scans, and an evaluation which typically consists of the cranial nerves.

Given that you say you are having mood swings, I might suggest you see a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner. You might benefit from being on medication for anxiety, depression, mood swings or all of the above.

I am a psychologist who went back to school to become a nurse and currently finishing up my master's in psychiatric nursing to become a nurse practitioner. I have seen a lot of benefits from medication, but I would also suggest individual therapy too.

Hope this helps and good luck.

drmarc

Comment

I have, like you, a Neurologist. I am currently seeing a Psychologist to help with my complicated medication needs. What my Neurologist was giving me to keep me from being so edgy wasn't working. He is just another important member of my healthcare team.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you. Im actually in school and a psychology major myself but am still completing my gen Ed classes. I see a therapist ( as I already have a history of mdd and ppd occurred with my son when he was born in 2010) but mostly I have HORRIBLE anxiety. Im scared of EVERYTHING it seems. Sometimes it's so irrational that I look back later and wonder why on earth I was so fearful. It's hard
        For me to travel because I hate flying and I I see one or two significant wrecks on the road driving I will start developing anxiety and may be unable to continue driving. Ive always had anxiety but it seems even worse now with my MS.

I have a lot going on in my personal life. My fathers son is withholding him and I need to pay my attorney money I hardly have to get him back. and I was only dx Thursday so this has been new and sudden and even though I knew ms
        Was a possibility I just didn't think it would happen this fast. Itsnaloy to take on a once. I'm also worried about my relationship. My gf has been so supportive so far but she didn't sign up for ms. I know how difficult it may become and I don't think she understands :/

Comment

Before I was officially dxd I had awful mood swings also. Fine one minute and wanting to kill someone the next (for no reason). Dr put me on Paxil and I have been a happy person ever since. Hang in there. It's a long road with lots of bumps.
          Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

Working...
          X