Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you have an MRI when you've got a cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you have an MRI when you've got a cold?

I'm having a MRI on Wednesday and today I am sneezing, sniffing, snuffling, coughing and obviously have a cold. Can't be the flu, had the vaccination.
    Are there any drugs that will dry this up? Do you cough if you're well and truly sedated? I'd really rather not cancel.
    We basically banned pseudo ephedrine, which worked a treat. (Thank you, crystal meth.)

I did it recently and would not recommend it. It is really hard to avoid coughing for a half-hour.

Comment

Re-schedule. When I have one done, they tell me NOT to move, otherwise they will have to do it again.

You don't have any control if you must cough or sneeze when you have a cold.

Comment

first, it could be the flu. little know secrete, the shot protects against one strain of flu, not all.

i would not recommend a MRI with a cold/flu. it would be near impossible to not sneeze or cough for that time.
        Learn from yesterday
        Live for today
        Hope for tomorrow

Comment

If you REALLY don't want to re-schedule I would call the MRI Dept. first thing when they open tomorrow (it might be today for you) and ask what they suggest. It might be that they WILL suggest another time, but I have breathing issues and they've always been able to work with me.
          Mostly uncontrollable nerve stuff in lower body, lung stuff where yup, I cough...some more but this is enough detail for here.
          Both the referring Doc and *I* make sure the MRI staff is aware. So far I haven't needed a prescription med, but they will let you know what should best help. I will usually take a swig of the cough syrup w/codiene (oops, that is a script here, but it's around the house for other reasons) about an hour before, now I can't remember what other OTC meds they tell me to take- it's been awhile.
          You've had an MRI before? My staff announces with each set that, "This next one is 3 minutes", or however long and ask if I need to cough, reposition, flex my legs...I'm sure I'm a hassle for them but I haven't needed a re-do yet (cross fingers) and haven't experienced ATTITUDE from any of them.
          I think they might be able to help you keep this appointment if you explain whats going on.

Comment

Codeine is the answer, I think. WillyNilly, I've had four of the things. This one is an hour and a half. Can't wait. On the plus side, codeine tends to put me to sleep.
            I will let the operator know before heading in.
            I'd love to reschedule, but there are three other appointments lined up for the next day.
            Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye...

Comment

Pseudo ephedrine

Hi Thinkimjob
              If you go into the chemist and ask for codral with pseudo ephedrine they usually give it to you if you show your drivers licence. Don't get fobbed off with the stuff that says with PE. the real Psuedo is usually in the back.
              Another thought, where are you going for your MRI.
              Wesley one is pretty good not too bumpy, but if you are going to the RBH be prepared for a bumpy ride, played havoc with my back.
              Hope you manage to get the MRI on Wednesday, nothing worse than waiting for it.

Good luck Min

Are you seeing Dr Pam McCombe?

Comment

Crossing fingers and wishing LUCK your way!
                How are you feeling today?
                Don't forget to let us know how it goes

Comment

Working...
                X