VENTING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VENTING

Hi, everyone. I was diagnosed in december 2011. I am 2 weeks shy of 45 years old. MS seemed like no big deal to me. Until this past monday.

I woke up in terrible pain. And a feeling like someone was sitting on my chest. My legs were the worst part. I am a nursing assistant. I am working with a lady who needs physical therapy. Needless to say, i couldn't get on the floor to help her. I had to call out sick from work indefinitely. I am feeling better as far as the pain goes. But, emotionally, i am a mess.

My doctor put me on buspar to try to alleviate the stress, which makes the ms worse, as we all know. That was just 2 days ago, so it hasn't kicked in yet.

My doctor says i am not accepting this. He had me talk to the neuropsychologist, too. Who also told me i needed to alleviate stress and accept.

All i see, now, is my future. I was told i should look into another line of work. I was unemployed for 2 years!!!!! I went to school last year to be a nursing assistant, and now i'm being told it isn't a wise career path anymore. I am being told i should start looking into SSDI and long-term disability, so i have a plan for my future.

I was fine a week ago, and now i'm having my butt kicked by this illness. I am hoping to get back to work wednesday. I haven't been able to exercise. I'm depending on friends to care for me this week. I feel like a burden.

I'm sorry for all the negativity, but i had to tell people who understood.

Sue

You are NOT a failure!!!!!!!!!

Sue, so sorry you're having such a rough time right now. Yes, we understand! As you know with this MonSter your health can/will change from day-to-day, hour-to-hour.

As for your job, is there another path as a nurse assistant you could pursue, something that didn't require as much physically? Maybe some nurses will answer with suggestions ...

Sounds like you have some pretty great friends. If they felt you were a burden they would have split by now so the fact they are helping proves you aren't a burden!

Hang in there, we're here whenever you need us
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Originally posted by suepoladian View Post
      Hi, everyone. I was diagnosed in december 2011. I am 2 weeks shy of 45 years old. MS seemed like no big deal to me. Until this past monday.

I woke up in terrible pain. And a feeling like someone was sitting on my chest. My legs were the worst part. I am a nursing assistant. I am working with a lady who needs physical therapy. Needless to say, i couldn't get on the floor to help her. I had to call out sick from work indefinitely. I am feeling better as far as the pain goes. But, emotionally, i am a mess.

My doctor put me on buspar to try to alleviate the stress, which makes the ms worse, as we all know. That was just 2 days ago, so it hasn't kicked in yet.

My doctor says i am not accepting this. He had me talk to the neuropsychologist, too. Who also told me i needed to alleviate stress and accept.

All i see, now, is my future. I was told i should look into another line of work. I was unemployed for 2 years!!!!! I went to school last year to be a nursing assistant, and now i'm being told it isn't a wise career path anymore. I am being told i should start looking into SSDI and long-term disability, so i have a plan for my future.

I was fine a week ago, and now i'm having my butt kicked by this illness. I am hoping to get back to work wednesday. I haven't been able to exercise. I'm depending on friends to care for me this week. I feel like a burden.

I'm sorry for all the negativity, but i had to tell people who understood.

Sue
      I'm about 45 too, but I was dx in 2006. It does take time to accept. Be glad that you have friends to help you. My husband is great, but if he weren't around...I feel abandoned by my "friends," so would not be in a good place without him. Talk to your neuro about disability. This is the space for negativity, so rant away .
      Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

"Courage and optimism are your best traits" -- Fortune Cookie

I can really understand were you are coming from. My situation, and a lot of people who contribute to this online board, is not much different.

I just had a NP/doctoral level nurse who is an expert on handicapped nursing care come and do a "life care plan" for me -- useful to have but talk about depressing. She walked around my house measuring my doorways for wheelchair accessibility, the height of my light switches and adapting my bathroom for a wheelchair accessible shower, etc. Even worse was our discussion about how my life span would be shortened by MS... After she left I broke down and cried...

But as my Mom always remained me -- what is the alternative?

I have found Vocational Rehabilitation -- Voc Rehab -- through Health and Family Services and Easter Seals very helpful in retraining, finding a new job and providing ongoing support. They will pay for you to go back to school, buy eyeglasses and hearing aids, clothes to wear to your interviews and connect you to other social services for help. Their goal is to keep people working.

People with MS who remain employed tend to feel better and maintain a higher level of functioning.

Comment

Working...
        X