Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this supposed to happen this quickly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this supposed to happen this quickly?

I am still in limbo land and without an acutal Dx yet. My GP has tested me for just about everything else that we can possibly think of and everything has shown up negative. So today is the day of my MRI and then she refers me out to a neurologist to see what he thinks about my posspible MS. I have just about every "common symptom" there is and we have tested for everything else it could possibly be so im leaning towards it definitly being MS.

Last night my doctor sent me to the ER for some tests because all of a sudden I lost most of the strength in my hands. I cant get a grip onto anything. They ran blood work and everything came back ok, so they said to just go on with my MRI tomorrow (today now) and follow up with my doctor as planned.

Well now today I got up this morning and started to clean my house and after about 30 mins of sweeping and mopping y legs feel like they are going to give out on me. I literally feel like I have just ran a marathon and my legs cant take anymore. They are so weak!!

If this really is MS how quickly can things start to happen. What im going through is my second "wave" of symptoms and this one is definitly worse than last time.

I cant imagine my legs and hands going out on me before I even have a Dx.

Anyone else experience this?

I was dx in 12/06. I knew there was something wrong for a while before that, but didn't have the insurance. In early 2007, I had my first cane as insurance, because I was a bit wobbly sometimes. I didn't use it a lot, but it was there. By 2009, I was using it full time. In 2010, I got a walker. I still walk around the house without even a cane a lot of the time, much to the chagrin of my husband. I've fallen about three times this year. The last time was about a month ago. I wasn't able to get up, so my husband had to call the rescue squad to get me up. In Oct. I had to go on disability.

It does feel as though I went downhill very fast. I tried Copaxone when I was first dx, but couldn't deal with the shots. I was without anything for a couple of years before I tried Rebif--not as many shots and I didn't feel the side effects that I did with Copaxone. Now, I'm on Gilenya. Pills are so much easier and no problems with it.

My legs are like clay, my left hand is less cooperative. Everyone experiences different symptoms to a different degree and at a different rate which is why no one can give you a real prognosis.

It's scary, and I think some people believe we experience some of this disease by suggestion. We hear a symptom, then suddenly experience it. I have been accused of this. All it did was make me angry.

Do chores slowly and don't expect your house to be exactly the way it used to be. It took me a long time to accept that my house is clean enough. When I really need to, I have someone come in and clean. The main reason that I don't like that is that the people who've come in to clean seem to believe that means to re-arrange and redecorate :-(.

It takes a while to find your "new normal." Just watch your energy and rest when you need to. Take care of yourself.
    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

It's unknown. You didn't give a history of your symptoms which brought you to the doctor, but maybe my story may help.

I awoke with numbness and tingling in both feet, which eventually spread up to my arm pits and then mostly receded. That event brought me to diagnosis, but it took two long weeks. After seeing a neurologist who looked at my MRI, he said I had MS and 15 minutes later, I was on a steroid infusion. While I was on steroids, I experienced what must have been another/continuation of an exacerbation and my legs and arms got weak. Suddenly, my laptop was very heavy.
      it took weeks to clear up, but eventually did - mostly, but not 100%, so it may happen in your case. Of course, during that time, I was worried I would never get my strength back.

When I'm tired or otherwise exhausted, it gets temporarily worse. If you are going through an exacerbation, there is usually a peak of symptoms. It can be very frightening. At this point, the important thing is to keep your doctor informed of what's going on. You may be prescribed a course of steroids which may help speed up the process.

But you and your doctor have to determine what's happening. I would say you should press for the soonest appointment with a Neurologist. See if you can book an appt for tomorrow or next week. If you have to go through the weekend, bear in mind that many of us have been there. Keep posting and reading here.

Comment

im sorry, ive posted all my symptoms and back history in the in limbo land thread area. but I will post it here again for all of you here

Around November 2011 I started feeling like I was crazy because a whole mess of stuff started happening to me that gradually built up in intensity until around March of 2012 when it started to taper down to feeling somewhat normal.
        I have near constant vertigo or general dizziness.
        My vision started to get blurry in both eyes until all of a sudden I had a piece of my vision missing from my right eye. Optometrist has said my eyes are fine since then.
        Random pins and needle numbness. It started out with just my feet but then eventually migrated to include my legs up to my knees as well as my fingers and sometimes hands.
        My lips go numb, not pins and needles but more like I received a Novocain shot in my lips.
        Loss of Balance and coordination. I started running into stuff, walking like a drunk and just generally being more of a “clutz”.
        Having problems forming thoughts or coming up with the words when I want to say something. I feel like the idea I want to say will be in my head but I cant come up with an idea or words on how to say things.
        Brain fog or confusion. I can be walking from one room to another and forget what I was doing, which doesn’t sound so bad. But I can also be driving down the road to run a errand or something simple and completely forget where I am or what I am doing. Very scary.
        Constant severe fatigue. Always very tired but getting enough sleep. Normally feeling like Im going to fall over by about 4pm.
        A paralyzed feeling. I know im not paralyzed but sometimes it feels as if I cant move. The first time this happened I was the passenger in a car and when we arrived home I couldn’t get out of the car. I knew my legs worked but it was like my brain wasn’t telling them to move to get up. I ended up just sitting there for a bit verbally telling my legs “come one now, you gotta move so I can get up” after about 15 mins they slowly started to work again and I could stand up to walk. This happened a few times before March 2012.
        After around the middle of March 2012 most of all of that stuff was gone or nearly gone. What stuck around was the vertigo/dizziness and the severe fatigue.
        The rest of it just basically went away. I brushed it all off and decided to ignore it all since it went away.
        During the beginning of June 2012 most if not all of these occurrences came back. Im still dizzy and have vertigo, and I still have extreme fatigue but now everything else is coming back. AGAIN.

My GP has done complete blood work checks every month for the past 8 months. Everything is fine there. Checked for heart problems, lyme disease, and lupus. All negative.

Now starting yesterday I developed weakness in my hands where I cant squeeze anything, my three year old is stronger than me. And today I feel like I have ran a marathon to the point that my legs just dont want to go anymore. They feel like I have ran so far im almost to th epoint of muscule failure even though, like I said I only swept and mopped for about 30 mins. Even after sitting fown for more than an hour I just got up to use the rest room and was scared my legs were going to give out on me

Comment

Is there any reason you have not seen a neurologist? Is your GP hesitant to refer you? Mine had to be gently pushed.

Comment

Working...
          X