Might be the wrong forum to ask this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might be the wrong forum to ask this

Like I said this might be the wrong place if so I'm sorry. Before my diagnosis I was a full time student, but thanks to the memory issues from my seizures, and fatigue from the MS I haven't been able to take classes since. My question is does it ever get any better? I just want to try and finish my degree, but at the same time I don't want to waste my money if its never getting better.

Kyle, I moved your thread. It was no big deal where it was, but it will get more attention here.

Thank you very much.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thank you for moving it for me. I wasn't quite sure where to post it.

Comment

I don't have seizures, but do get tired. I finished my masters last June (with a 4.0), but had to quit teaching in Oct. and go on disability.

Student loans can be forgiven when you have to go on disability. You call to tell them, and they send you a form to fill out and to take to your neuro if it's a permanant disability. It's not a perfect solution, but you can finish your degree without worrying about wasting money. MS is so unpredictable, so you might quit school and then not have a seizure. If you feel you can finish, do so. You'll have the degree that no one can take away from you and the possibility of using it if things get better with your health.

I felt well all through my courses, but declined quickly after receiving my degree. It's a crap shoot. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
        Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Hey Kyle,

How long have you been diagnosed? Some folks have it really rough for awhile, they often say the first year is the worst.

If it's been longer, then it might be a matter of finding the right med/meds to control your symptoms, or even some DMDs seem to make folks feel better, even though that's now what they're meant to do.

On the other hand some meds can make you feel worse.

so everyone's an indidual, but I've had flares I thought I'd never come out of, but I did.

As far as school, is there a way to take some online classes which might keep you from some of the fatigue, or talking to your school counselor about assistance with school.

Financiallly, I understand your concern about wasting money if you won 't be able to work, but I work full time, just from home...so there are jobs like that depending on your field of study.

Talk to your neuro about these concerns...maybe he'll have some perspective for you.

Here's hoping you start to feel better soon.

Comment

Thank you for the replies everyone. I have only been diagnosed since November right after my seizures. I can tell my memory is getting somewhat better, but still not there. My biggest fear is not being able to go back and finish. Then I would be stuck having to work like my dad does, and I just don't have it in me to work like that anymore.

Comment

Hi Kyle, you are so newly diagnosed but didn't say if you are taking any DMDs to try and keep it in check. If you are, which one are you taking? Some of them take approx 6 months to even start working so it's still early days.

I commend you for being so focused on finishing your degree, it's always good to have a goal in sight. You may have to modify reaching that goal but don't ever give up on it.

As a previous posted wisely suggested, maybe you can do some courses on-line. Since you were a full time student prior to diagnosis, MS might not like that but even a part time student might be more realistic until you start feeling better. Even if you can only do 1 class per semester for now, you're still working towards your goal, it might just take longer to reach it.

There are so many motivational stories and experiences that have been shared here. Some have brought tears to my eyes, tales of "the impossible". You should try to find some and you will feel so much better when you read what some people have overcome and accomplished when faced with such adversity and serious health issues.

I hope you start feeling a bit better soon, lots of us improved dramatically after the first year so don't get too discouraged, hang in there!

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

The president of my undergraduate college once said "One purpose of a liberal arts education is to make your head a more interesting place to live in for the rest of your life." (Or something like that.)

Learning things does make life more interesting, even if you can't directly apply it to a job.
                Accepting reality is not the same as wanting to have a problem. It means accepting something that will be happening whether I want it or not.

Comment

I agree that online classes are extremely helpful. My MS symptoms worsened after I graduated and started teaching. When this became too much, I had to change direction. However, I have been able to take some online classes in other areas of interest. This was perfect for me because I could do the work on my own schedule and from home.

I wish you the best and encourage you to continue your ambitions. Just know there are many options and support out there. (Just be sure that you have a great relationship with your neuro. He/She will help you along the way.)

Comment

I love what your teacher said, Jay. Fabulous advice.

FYI, my master's classes were all online. If I got tired, I just laid down.
                    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Kyle,

Google these:

alpha gpc cognition
                      acetyl l carnitine cognition

Both are relatively inexpensive supplements that have been shown to improve memory issues.

The google: malic acid fatigue

Taking 5-600mg Malic Acid w/Magnesium before each meal has been clinically demonstrated to reduce fatigue as well as pain.

Finally, Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) almost always clears-up "brain fog" and any fatigue issues. There is a LDN sticky on the Medications Forum to learn more about the drug.

Comment

Kyle,

I am a full time student and there have been many times where I have wondered the same things. I think the real answer is that none of us know what tomorrow will bring with MS or not. If school is what you really want to do- do it. Maybe try online classes, consult your school’s office of disability services for accommodations (yes, they can accommodate your cog fog in some surprisingly effective ways), try part time, etc.

If $ is the problem, seek out scholarships for people with MS or disabilities. I know it’s hard and can be overwhelming but, as you said, you have some strong motivation to get a job that you can handle with MS. Manual labor probably isn’t in the cards for many of us anymore and we all need a good insurance plan!

Anyways- keep your head up and do what you want. All the planning in the world will be for naught whether you have MS or not. What’s the worst that could happen? You realize it’s all too much and drop some classes? That’s no big deal. But seriously consider going in to the office of DA services and check into online classes. Good luck!

Comment

I'm sorry you are having a tough time. Things with MS can be variable so I would give some thought to what you might be able to do in the future.

I changed careers to one that was more "MS friendly" if there even is such a thing and have been very thankful that my health held up through school and has allowed me to continue working.

Maybe do some soul searching and see if there is a career you can pursue that would work with your present state if things don't dramatically improve? Best of luck to you.
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Hey Kyle -

I was dx'ed in 1988. I had a few grand mal siezures 1993-1994. The docs eliminated everything but the MS as a potential cause. None since then. I took depakote for 4 years but stopped it in 1998.

I wouldn't hesitate to finish school. I'm still working full time as a mechanical engineer at NASA and the MS is not outwardly noticeable to anyone.

About a year and a half after my dx I went thru a 15 month reactor operator (nuclear) license training course. Very intense.

Tom
                            "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
                            - Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                            X